First Project Done "AT LAST"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I finally got some time to work on my first project, and I took pics from the first step till the last. Only problem, on my last pic I ran out of memory, so I started deleting old pics, and I erased half of my new ones by mistake. Anyway here are the ones that survived. It's just a bench for the patio. It was a Poplar that fell across my inlaws back yard. Pop asked me to cut the log up and throw it back in the woods. As I started cutting I kept seeing red and blue saw dust coming out, plus the normal yellow of Poplar. I free handed a slab out of one of the blocks and the wood was spalted really nice, so I saved the rest of the log. On Christmas day I took my mill with the old Homelite 1050 on it out to the log. The only thing I could find for a guide board was a piece of 1/4 inch plywood Pop had in the basement. It was about 9" by 8'

Here's the old work horse that milled the log.
099.jpg

You can see the piece of plywood that I used for a guideboard under the slab. Did I forget to mention that I did this after dark. I timed the second cut, it was the widest, and it took 1 minute and 3 seconds.
016-1.jpg

I deleted three pics as I got started, this is when I started to mock up the bench, so I could see where I wanted the mortice and tennons. I didn't want to take a chance on ruining any nice grain by pre cutting holes.
001-11.jpg

In this pic the whole thing is being held together with a ratchet strap. With every thing where I wanted it I marked all of the planks for the cuts.
002-9.jpg

I guess I deleted the pics of cutting and fitting the pieces too. I used a skill saw to plunge cut the mortices. It didn't quite go through so I used a sawzall to finish. I also used the sawzall to cut the scallops on the upright pieces. I clamped them together and then free hand cut them. As I started going through the curves I couldn't hold the saw dead upright and the bottom piece came out a little shorter. I still have to try and even them up a little. This is where I stopped today. I'm going to power wash the boards one day next week to get the dirt off and see if any color comes back.
005-6.jpg

006-7.jpg

004-8.jpg

These are the planks I posted the question about using a butterfly to keep the checking from spreading. I think you can see the check on the back board. I made the tennons so that the checks were kinda centered. When I forced them into the mortices the tension helps close the checks and hold them tight. I need some kind of finish for them. I think I'd like some kind of epoxy that can fill all of the cracks and worm holes then get hard. When I said it was nicely spalted, it is actually getting kind of soft and punky. Anyhow, that's it, Joe.

I need some kind of finish. I'm going to power wash it and get it clean. I might try my air powered orbital sander on it to get some of the color back. I've always used hand rubbed linseed oil on furniture for the house. This is going to stay outside so I want something really tough, like an epoxy. I am taking suggestions, Joe.

Nice work. If I could find a piece of hardwood big enough I'd like to make a similar piece and leave the tenons long enough to use wedges to hold it together. Thanks for sharing.

I like the bench and the saw. If your talking about finishes woodworker supply has some interesting varieties. I've done a little research on this-found a lot of opinions, but no actual controlled studies. In my own experience in my neck of the woods I've seen the thompson's woodprotector, and a behr gloss product. The behr is on my brothers house(pine porch) posts and the other is on my own pine porch. In our neck of the woods we worry more about sun than moisture. The sun does degrade finishes over time and the gloss starts to peel. I'm just guessing here but will venture to say the gloss also will greatly reduce the wood's ability to breathe and dry out after rains, etc. Not a good thing. The one I used seems to preserve both the color and keep it dry. Whatever you use you'll have to re-coat every so often.

Great job and it looks awesome. :cheers:

Tip regarding seat bench design. Next time leave a 6 or preferably 8" gap between the bottom of the back rest and the back of the seat plank - it's interesting how much more comfortable that makes the seat. It allow ones backside to flow thru the gap so the bottom of the back rest supports the small of ones back. If the set needs bracing across the gap just do it in one or two places. I discovered this from sitting in many different church pews.

My plan was to use wedges too. The log was close enough to being rotten I didn't think the wood would take the pressure of the wedges, Joe.

If it won't take the pressure of the wedges how 'bout the pressure of 3 or 4 people sitting on it?

The wedges will allow you to take it apart or tighten it up as the wood dries out or as it moves. Using epoxy ties you down to living with it or hacking it up a bit if repairs are needed.

As for a finish I prefer penofin finishes for the outdoor stuff. A little higher priced but ya get what ya pay for.

Good looking design on the bench too.
(BTW, I'm gonna steal the design too, but I'll incorporate the changes BOBL mentioned, good idea. I don't have much church pew experience, but I got alot experience sittin' on my butt. :))

Later,
Ted

Last edited:
Ted, It's a solid 3" thick, so even though there are some soft spots in the wood, it's still pretty stout. If you look at the ends of the tennons 3 of them have natural checks in them. If it shows any sign of loosening up I'll put wooden wedges in the checks to tighten it up. If I have any doubts about the strength I'll cheat and put some angle iron on the bottom. I'm not real concerned about this one. It was a test for my next one. I did this in the 94* sun yesterday, 3 hours start to finish, so I kinda hurried and didn't do my best at making all of my cuts, but I'm still happy. I've already got my next log set up to cut. It's a Maple that's been standing dead for at least 3 years. It's about the same size and has much more color in it. Now that I know I can do it, I'll do a better job on the next one.

Oh, the major reason rushed through this one is my sons grad party is this weekend and several of my Tree Service relatives will be here, and I think they thought I was a bit daft for trying to mill big logs with a chainsaw, Joe.

I discovered this from sitting in many different church pews.

Bob, funny you should mention that, it feels just like sitting in one of our 100 year old pews in church, Joe.

Very well done tenons. I like spar urithane for outside projects, boiled linseed oil might hold up better though. Good work. Always enjoy seeing projects.

I started sanding, using 80 grit, with an air powered orbital sander. It's kinda bright outside so the color's not showing. The end piece is pretty yellow with some green streaking. The back is bleached almost white with mostly grays, but in spots there's still some yellow. I'm learnig fast the need for good guides and maybe a ripping chain. Sanding all those chatter marks out is a pain. Thank goodnes this wood is soft!
002-12.jpg

001-14.jpg

Since this is just my first sample, I'm not real concerned with it. If I get it sanded by Sat morning I'm gonna through some Thompsons on it just to see if it brings any of the colors out. My son is having his Gad party Sat evening so I'd like it to look it'sbest, Joe.

Its looking good, a good hand plane would save you a lot of time when it comes to getting rid of the "washboard effect". Can't wait to see it done.

Its looking good, a good hand plane would save you a lot of time when it comes to getting rid of the "washboard effect". Can't wait to see it done.

Sometimes I just need someone to tell me what to do. The old brain cells just don't seem to be doing the job. I have Stanley #4 that sits on top of the entertainmnet center. It belonged to my Dad's Uncle and was made in the 20's. I'm heading out with it now, Joe.

Latest posts

Back