First time removal question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

not an anthem

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi. I joined this site as I'm interested in building a portable bandsaw sawmill or alaskan sawmill as time permits for woodworking, and learning about trees for my real interest (woodturning), but I've found a new reason to read the site as of late.

My sister is in the process of buying a house in the north suburbs of chicago and during the inspection before signing off it was noted that an enormous chinese elm (his call, not sure, I can take pictures if ya like) seems like its a danger to the house. Unfortunate as it is an absolute beauty, but the woodturner in me screamed "woohoo!"

I'm not a homeowner, nor have I ever dealt with tree removal, but as she's ok'ed the use of the tree I'd like to hear what the best way to approach this is.

1) I'd like to get some massive boards out of this to make a workbench, tables, whatever, 8/4 or better. One local sawmill, Horigan UFP, has kiln drying available as well, which is more tempting than stickering for a year or two. I don't have the room to make my own makeshift kiln.

2) I'd like a bunch of green chunks off for turning.

3) I'd like the tree removed.

I know first order is getting permits as this is "modern times," but after that is there a best way to go about removal? If a homeowner started asking for the arborist to leave a 8' section behind or work with a mill, would they get annoyed or will they know what's up?

Do any arborists do tree removal + milling themselves? I mean, I'm up for CS mills too, it doesn't have to be perfect.

The tree is huge though, I would say 3-4' diameter, and tall as all get, with limbs that come very close to the house and cross the garage roof, so it would be a hard job to begin with. Any tips would be appreciated.

My opinion is hire a pro to remove it. As far as wanting it cut in a specific length they shouldn't really care too much i know i don't care its less work for me not to have to load what isn't chipped and i do it a quite a bit i will cut it to firewood size or drop the whole tree and leave it as is its the customer's call if they're keeping the wood.

I don't know any tree guys that also mill wood.

I'm definitely hiring a pro, its a complicated job. Just wondering if there are any pro's who also have a milling streak. Probably not likely but I don't know anything about the industry, just curious

One sawmill suggested that they could bargain with the removal price because there's less material to chip or remove.. is that possible? I don't want to sound like an ungrateful customer but if it saves me money its tempting.

Is it alright to try to bargain with the pro's about reducing the price of the job based on less material (the 10-12' section) to chip or remove? One of the sawmills suggested that but I dont know if that comes up, or if its alright.

Is it alright to try to bargain with the pro's about reducing the price of the job based on less material (the 10-12' section) to chip or remove? One of the sawmills suggested that but I dont know if that comes up, or if its alright.

Yes its less work for them, but be upfront and let them know what you want and exactly what they'll be leaving during the estimate.

Get a reputable company to remove the tree. If you are leave the trunk try to get the service to move the log to the lumber yard if one is found. Chinese Elm is not the best wood, but I don't know much about that.

Some random thoughts...

• First, determine the species of the tree. Some wood is not worth milling even if it is free.
  • Is the tree solid? No sense in developing a plan if the tree is rotted in the middle.
  • A 3-4' diameter log cut to an 8' length will require equipment to move. What is the plan to get it to a mill?
  • Many mills will not deal with "yard trees" due to the probability there are imbedded objects in the wood (metal, concrete, etc.).
  • Your best bet is to locate a small custom operator, If the wood is desirable, you might be able to get him/her to do it on shares.

Good luck!

These are all questions you will have to ask the person you decide to hire, Try and do some research about a few company and call the ones that are reputable and tell them what you want. I don't see a issue, but make sure it is worth it as far keeping the wood and milling it.

Kind of piggy-backing on the others

Guido's point about accepting "Yard Trees" is a biggie. Be sure whomever you discuss the milling with they know up front it is a yard tree. It is going to cost you very big money to get the log(s) transported. The last thing you want is to be playing checkers with the wood, especially logs that big. Also not all small custom mills can or wish to handle logs that large in diameter so this is another question that needs some upfront attention.

How is the access? Once the log(s) are on the ground how close can equipment get to them? Reason I ask is I know of one small mill operator locally that on occasion buys yard trees loads and hauls them using a rollback car carrier.

Cost for removal will vary depending upon the amount of work. At the least get a price for the takedown and chipping of anything under 8 inches. Disposal of the wood especially the big stuff gets very labor and equipment intensive. Suggest you be sure as to what your capabilities and comfort level for the clean up are. Paying them to come back gets expensive.

If possible wait until the ground is frozen solid before proceeding. This helps to minimize some of the damage to the area surrounding the takedown.

Take Care

If possible wait until the ground is frozen solid before proceeding. This helps to minimize some of the damage to the area surrounding the takedown.

Take Care

This kind of advice is invaluable because I didn't know that.

There's a local mill/kiln drying operation that will mill for 2.50/bf or 4-5$/bf for kiln drying too and can move the trunk. I didn't bring up shares but I will ask, that's another good idea. They mostly deal with yard trees and have metal detectors.

You folks are great, thanks!

Back