first time with a chain grinder...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never had any luck getting a chain to cut well with my HF grinder. The results looked great but they just didn't cut worth a dam. Everything about the plastic mechanism is wobbly. Tossed it in a cabinet thinking I could maybe set it up to grind depth gauges someday.

Looking at the photo, it looks to me like you don't have enough angle in the head of the grinder.

HF grinder

All this info is well and good but until you cut with it as it now is you won't know how it's working or how to make it better. Give it a try and see how you like it. You can modify your technique once you know what it's doing.

Mine is the relatively inexpensive Carlton model much like the Oregon 511A. I did modify the wiring to make the motor reversible and I always grind outside in, opposite of the way I file.

Mitch (Mweba) gave me another similar model that I equipped with the 1/4" wheel and use just for the depth gauges, also made that one reversible.

I also bought one of the bar rail grinders from Baileys so I would always have one ready to go. The fact is I like using the disc sander better, but I was melting the plastic dust hood on my 6" Craftsman sander, and it was too much hassle to clean out the base of the table saw and set it up with the 10" disc each time I needed to true up a bar.

attachment.php

Mark

I'm looking into a grinder because sometimes hand filing a 28 inch chain isn't much fun. Especially when your cutting partner seems to catch trees with old fence and nails in them. I'm gonna swing by Ray's the night before the GTG do you remember if the 199's chain was half inch or .404? I'm sure it could use a touch up haha.

Your cutters look really nice, especially for a first time, and with a HF grinder. I like the smooth, even grind. Nice, clear photos too.

I agree with heimannm about the shape / depth of grind. If it is helpful, think about the recommended height for holding a file, then simply place the dressed grinding wheel in that spot (see sketch, below). Go back and clean out the gullets separately, if you want/need to afterwards.

attachment.php

Bottom line is, how do they cut?

Philbert

Mine is the relatively inexpensive Carlton model much like the Oregon 511A. I did modify the wiring to make the motor reversible and I always grind outside in, opposite of the way I file.

Mitch (Mweba) gave me another similar model that I equipped with the 1/4" wheel and use just for the depth gauges, also made that one reversible.

I also bought one of the bar rail grinders from Baileys so I would always have one ready to go. The fact is I like using the disc sander better, but I was melting the plastic dust hood on my 6" Craftsman sander, and it was too much hassle to clean out the base of the table saw and set it up with the 10" disc each time I needed to true up a bar.

attachment.php

Mark

Nice picture of your grinding set up.
Neat that you made your grinders reversible. Once you use one set up that way a person is spoiled.

If your rakers aren't too high you'll find that chain will really cut, nice hook angle. Biggest mistake people make with a grinder is not getting deep enough, you did. If you don't get deep enough you'll end up with a negative hook angle on the side plate( I've seen machine sharpened chain like that and they cut like crapola) and possibly a negative hook on the cutter. Good job again. Steve

Goood technique too. Multiple short duration hits with the grinding wheel keeps the tooth from getting too hot and I think makes a much cleaner grind. I picked up a grinder a few years back. It is unavoidable the you will make some mistakes, just make sure you learn from them. Keep a magnifying glass handy too.

My grinder is nothing special, I got mine from the Northern Tool. It came with 3 grinding discs and I have learned how to set it up to do the rakers too.

I've cleaned out a lot of gullets by backing off the chain stop so the wheel can drop onto the gullet and then adjusting the wheel depth to hit the high spot in the gullet. After I've ground the cutters a few times, I find the wheel will drop into that area without touching the cutter or the back of the depth gauge. If not, you can always make the grinding wheel vertical, but I try not to change mine.

I've cleaned out a lot of gullets by backing off the chain stop so the wheel can drop onto the gullet and then adjusting the wheel depth to hit the high spot in the gullet.

Same here. I do the edges on all of the R and L cutters, then go back and run all the gullets through. Couple of light taps. Not as concerned about the exact profile. Never had a problem with 'blueing' - I assume that that is because there is more metal there to absorb the heat?

Philbert

sorry for late reply, my day job started off the week in a flurry...

so i did some cutting this past weekend with the pictured chain. cut mainly 18+ ash logs for firewood splitting and a few white oak of the same size. man does the chain cut! i think i'm a decent hand filer and could get a good sharp cutter with the time invested but this HF grinder has me wondering if i ever will again. obviously in the field hand filing will be necessary but if i can replicate and/or improve the cutter i have now i will be set. saw tracked straight through the cut, didn't feel grabby, and pulled some big chips! i was making mulch piles before i knew in addition to cutting firewood!:chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:

so i did some cutting this past weekend with the pictured chain. cut mainly 18+ ash logs for firewood splitting and a few white oak of the same size. man does the chain cut! i think i'm a decent hand filer and could get a good sharp cutter with the time invested but this HF grinder has me wondering if i ever will again. obviously in the field hand filing will be necessary but if i can replicate and/or improve the cutter i have now i will be set. saw tracked straight through the cut, didn't feel grabby, and pulled some big chips! i was making mulch piles before i knew in addition to cutting firewood!:chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:

Did you try the numbers I gave you?

That chain looked like it would cut, nice hook angles and sharp. The only way it wouldn't have is if the rakers were to high , you must have them good also.. I'd sure keep on doing it just like you did. Steve

Last edited:

not yet, i will fiddle with the next time i grind or if i feel ambitious with another chain. shop time is a premium these days and i can't find enough time in the day...

thanks for everyones input!

Earlier I had planned to ask if you regretted buying the grinder. Obviously not. None in stock in the store I visited on Monday. I think they receive shipments on Thursday and it takes a day or so to get the items out onto the store shelves.

Hey moody,
I dont mean to pry, and you can tell me to bugger off if you want, but would you mind sharing your numbers .....or PM? ....... I usually have some free time in the barn before the sun rises, so I can play round with the grinder !

I'll share mine 30 60 0 , been like that for 30+ years. I really don't think it will cut much different with a little different numbers. His chain cuts great, don't mess with it. Steve

Yup, I been using those angles as well, sometimes I do 30 - 60 - 10
But .......
Aint nuthin wrong with playing 'round on a few stump chains ............ and I am allways willing to learn something new, like maybe a better angle for very hard wood that wont dull out as quick .....maybe more agressive for softer wood............. I aint knocking your experience, but I also wouldnt dismiss others experiences, especially if it could help for a specific wood.

Yup, I been using those angles as well, sometimes I do 30 - 60 - 10
But .......
Aint nuthin wrong with playing 'round on a few stump chains ............ and I am allways willing to learn something new, like maybe a better angle for very hard wood that wont dull out as quick .....maybe more agressive for softer wood............. I aint knocking your experience, but I also wouldnt dismiss others experiences, especially if it could help for a specific wood.

32-55-10

About all we have is hard wood. I cut plenty of hedge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back