first time with a chain grinder...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got a bench grinder?

I typically hand sharpen but after a while we all know a good grind is necessary to reset the cutter. I used to pay a guy to do this for me but my FIL recently got the cheapo HF chain grinder so I figured I would give it a shot. Got it all setup and double checked the angles as best I could and started easing the chain through. Took light grinding passes, lowered the grinder 3x per tooth with a quick light 'tsst' 'tsst' 'tsst' and then moved to next cutter. Here are some pics of what I ended up with. All the cutters look pretty consistent (to the eye) and feel razor sharp!

Now I know there are chain sharpening gurus out there so let me hear it... what did I do wrong and what can I do to improve?

Its not rocket science but some people like to make it that way. For my 2 cents I'm gone to add this, just a few pointers. Remember, your sharpening the chain, not re edging it. Like a knife, so you did good, not to much. Never cut so much that your cutters start to heat and change color, that's bad. Always try to take the same amount off every cutter on the both sides to keep them even.(that's just common sense, so the chain expires well used) Now, I tried to read all the posts as so not to repeat anything and I didn't see what I would think is a very important part of your operation. The final clean?!? I do this, right or wrong, it works for me.
I always run my chains through the wire wheel on my bench grinder after sharpening them. Brushing the top of the cutter(point down) back to its original luster. This removes, the burr, dirt, grim and chain gunk too. Makes your chain look new. note: I pre-Soak my chains in old mixed gas, to loosen the grim before this process. That will probably get me blown up some day but, its well ventilated and that's how my grand daddy did it, that's how dad does it aaaand its worked out pretty good so far.

note: Stihl chains have a mark on the cutter to show the proper sharpening angle and final grind.

Never understood the idea behind clean chains?! Resharpen and just cut wood. On the other hand it seems to work for a lot of people so there must be something behind this logic. Maybe I jsut have to try it out. Well maybe one day if I have a lot of time on hand.

everylittle bit helps...

Never understood the idea behind clean chains?! Resharpen and just cut wood. On the other hand it seems to work for a lot of people so there must be something behind this logic. Maybe I jsut have to try it out. Well maybe one day if I have a lot of time on hand.

The main reason, deburr the grind. Second reason, customers or friends can see something was done. Their dirty chain is now clean and won't bind. You cut dirty wood, sappy wood etc.... Its just a nice finishing touch imo. It takes me about 2-3 minutes depending on the loop and the grime. To each, his own.:msp_wink:

If I clean them, it is before I sharpen - keeps the junk out of the grinding wheel, and lets me inspect the chain for defects, etc. Also satisfies my OCD tendencies. I have always been told that the burr disappears in seconds - never tried to test/verify this.

Philbert

Won't the wire wheel take off the hard chrome? The bur disappears in fractions of a second during use. And my friends see that the edge has been resharpened. As you said each to his own.

Sigh...

My concerns would also include rounding over the edges you just made with the tips of the wire wheel.

Philbert

You guys don't sharpen you own lawn mower blades do you? A wire wheel does nothing but quickly knock the burr off. You touch it to the chain and done. Cleaning your chains before you sharpen them is kinda like wiping your butt before you crap.......C'mon now don't be mad, you walked right into that one, someone had to say it. :msp_rolleyes:

Thanks Moody and Philbert for sharing your "alternate" angles, next time the grinder is warmed up, I have the perfect chain to play with !

You guys don't sharpen you own lawn mower blades do you? A wire wheel does nothing but quickly knock the burr off. You touch it to the chain and done. Cleaning your chains before you sharpen them is kinda like wiping your butt before you crap.......C'mon now don't be mad, you walked right into that one, someone had to say it. :msp_rolleyes:

I am gunna agree with Philbert on this one ......... if its gunna be cleaned - clean it first.
Like he said, it allows you to see what needs to be done, and removes any stuff on/in the chain.
I understand the reason for cleaning it after, so you can remove any grit or metal from the grinding process .............but I aint never cleaned a chain after its been sharpened- Look at what youre gunna do with it, its gunna get dirty and gritty before youre done with your first cut, especially if youre cutting through some thick bark.

Also - it depends on what wire wheel you are using. A fine wheel will work like you said, but a coarse or stiff wheel will round the edge and take off the chrome in a second. Lawnmower blades aint chainsaw chains, and there aint no way to feel a lawnmower blade "self feed" like a good sharp chainsaw chain does.

Since it is my 2 cents, I dont clean a chain unless its super dirty. I have enough oil going to the bar to keep them wet and that helps them stay clean for most of the wood I run into. A chain used on a sappy tree and its stump is the worst, and I will clean the gummy crud with some 2 cycle mix by soaking overnight and then blowing off with compressed air. Once in a while a small hand held wirebrush is used for the nasty ones, but all thats before they get their turn with a file or on the grinder.

Back