first wood stove for garage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purchase which one for my application and experience

• US stove Wonderwood

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mn man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have some experience with outdoor wood boilers but now wood stoves indoors. my hvac buddy suggested the us stove wonderwood2941eb, said he had a wonderwood years ago and loved it. Also looking at the vogelzang xl... I think i prefer one with a blower for my garage. The garage is roughly 1000 square ft with concrete floor and insulated attic space. suggestions on one of these over the other? open to suggestions and not particular to a specific brand, just want to stay under $1500 for the stove itself.

First consideration.
There is NOTHING safe about having a stove in the garage. Very risky place. garage implies vehicles, fuel, oil, etc.
That being stated, I have a stove in my garage. I would not be without it.

IT certainly doesn't have to be anything fancy. The basic "smoke dragon" is just fine. ultimate efficiency isn't as important.
What might be, is to install it correctly, and be relatively sure the stove pipe is good.

I push mine HARD, and have to replace the first 2 or 3 sections of pipe about every few years.

Like ericm979 said, dont' even think about getting insurance on this.

I have a Jotul 602B box stove in my shop I dropped 175.00 for from a Mexican. It was all rusted and I refurbished/painted. It heats 650 un-insulated sq ft no problem. I have it raised to about 24” to the bottom of the stove mouth from the floor, but even that won’t protect you if you get stupid with a gas can while it’s burning. It is nice to be able to work in my shop in winter in a T- shirt when it’s well below freezing outside! Do the gasoline solvent stuff outside, avoid Chinese wood stoves, and you should be ok.

Yup. Any old stove will do, especially since you’re insulated. I just paid about $100 for a small stove that works great.
I built a rocket stove and used it the last 2 winters, but it couldn’t keep up. It’s designed for high efficiency and little waste, but you need a good insulated space. Going back to a stove now. Much better.

Same situation as far as garage space.

NC-30 will heat it to 95 no problem. Can be had for under $400 used. Will keep fires for up to 8 hours.

Attachments

• 20181021_192330.jpg
    20181021_192330.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 7
Back