Fish Too!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Fish

Thank you!
Been carving about 7 yrs, have tried about everything From a Northern Pike to hummingbirds. Have done a wood duck and a loon but enjoy doing the fish best of all. I don't have a good supply of suitable wood for chainsaw carving.
I have a lot of oak, maple and tulip poplar, it takes too long for the wood to cure without splitting.
Carver

Thank you!
Been carving about 7 yrs, have tried about everything From a Northern Pike to hummingbirds. Have done a wood duck and a loon but enjoy doing the fish best of all. I don't have a good supply of suitable wood for chainsaw carving.
I have a lot of oak, maple and tulip poplar, it takes too long for the wood to cure without splitting.
Carver

Do you use any kind of power tools on the smaller carvings? I tried some chip carving, a coping saw and chisels seemed to help. I started carving with a chainsaw, and I'm not to handy with a knife and gouges yet. I'd like to learn.

Use of power tools.

Hi troutfisher:
Yep, usually cut out a blank (general shape) with a bandsaw or scrollsaw.
Then use a dremel to remove excess wood, use flexsteel carving knives for detail, hand sand to get final shape. I use a woodburner to put in some details like feathers, i put the scales on my fish one at a time with a tool i made. The painting is a combination of hand painting and airbrushing.
Learning every day.
carver

Last edited:
Fish Carving too

My first time on Arboristsite
I am enjoying this web site. Its right up my alley, as they say. I Love to make sawdust too.
At age 70, (about 2 yrs ago) I started carving fish, out of boredom of making bird houses and such.
One big difference in my carving from the many I see online is that I use recycled-found wood- salvaged materials
My first salmon were half fish mounted on backboards of used cedar fence boards.
Now, jumping ahead to 2012 and still making efforts to improve my talents, I challenged myself to a new level of
"recycled wood fish project" Using shakes pulled off an old barn, I ran about 10 of so through the saws/planer etc.
to end up with boards I could glue together for the blank. A photo collage will better explain this project. Friend DonView attachment 246761

246761d1343663645-cedar-shake-trout-7-6-12-jp

Very nice!

Fish carving too

Thanks for the nice comments.
My greatest satisfaction is when I can make something useful out of something considered as waste/junk/firewood/no value to it.

Some may considered it foolish to spend a month or more creating a piece of art. I don't want to know how many hours
I spend on a project because it might make me quit. My greatest reward comes from when I hand the piece over to the person
and see their reactions.

Nice Brim :)

Those bluegills are very nice!
I carve fish fairly often but always with a chainsaw.

normal_IMG_0640.JPG

normal_DSC_2334.JPG

normal_IMG_0479.JPG

Not a fish but it eats a lot of fish :)
normal_IMG_0661.JPG

Latest posts

Back