fisher wood stove smoking too much!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spencer,

Your flue pipes are installed incorrectly too, you have them backwards from how they should be installed. You want the mating pieces to run into themselves and flow any cresote or ash back into the stove. The way you have them is they will leak around themselves as you only considered the exhaust gases as going up the flue and nothing coming back to the stove. Watch this, as you will get creosote (semi-liquid) flowing back to the stove and will leak around the pipe at times if not corrected.

Again Timber, where do you get that 150,000 BTU heat output as a rating for these stoves? I have searched high and low and cannot find any free standing stove made that gets kind of heat output, othen then maybe a wood furnace (indoor or outdoor). Let me know as I want to see that information.

Craig

i think that 150,000 BTU figure is input instead of output. 18 pounds an hour at full throttle doesn't sound to far off.

I wasn't thinking about the stove being way oversized for the house it is heating. Keeping the air cut back to much might be part of the smoking problem if the fire isn't burning , just smoldering.

Spencer,

Your flue pipes are installed incorrectly too, you have them backwards from how they should be installed. You want the mating pieces to run into themselves and flow any cresote or ash back into the stove. The way you have them is they will leak around themselves as you only considered the exhaust gases as going up the flue and nothing coming back to the stove. Watch this, as you will get creosote (semi-liquid) flowing back to the stove and will leak around the pipe at times if not corrected.

Again Timber, where do you get that 150,000 BTU heat output as a rating for these stoves? I have searched high and low and cannot find any free standing stove made that gets kind of heat output, othen then maybe a wood furnace (indoor or outdoor). Let me know as I want to see that information.

Craig

ah! you know, i gave that no thought! i was only thinking of the smoke going out of the pipes. i may reverse that when i knock out the old thimble and replace it with the 8". my old stove did leak a little cresote, but nothing majorly bad. never the less, you are right!

Probably still wouldn't be up to code...but a sheet of backer board with some spacers to cover that peg board and trim (or cut the trim out) would go a long way. Backer board takes the heat, air gap insulates the pegboard.

Unlike the sawdust-and-glue pegboard, the cement-and-fiberglass backer board won't degrade over time in a process called pyrolysis -- long term exposure to heat breaks down the material and makes it much more likely to ignite. Then one day when you're having a hard burn because it's -5º with a 20mph wind, or you have a chimney fire, the radiant heat ends up enough to ignite it.

Fisher output/input

Spencer,

Craig

Well I can't find my original manual for the stove with the hand written btu ratings, but mine is a UL EPA Grandpa Bear III with baffle and the pictured one is not, my mistake!!!
But 8600 btu/lb and hour standard figure, my stove is 24" wide x24" deep x14" high real world inside, I put no more than 20lbs at a time in but holds 30-40lbs. I can burn!!!! 20 pounds an hour easy with 750 degree surface temps. I know this is not real world or output. My stove was rated EPA at over 35lbs an hour and was epa exempt, the year after it was made.

Doesn't really matter, they are just very hot stoves if opened up, choked down are creosote smoke builders, baffle helps greatly, causes swirl and reburn.

Duane

Latest posts

Back