Fiskars Super Splitter or Pro Splitting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN_WOOD

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Fiskars Super Splitting Axe (#7854)
- 28" handle
- aka "X25 Splitting Axe"
- also sold under Gerber name.
- 4.03 lb head
- shaped like a splitting wedge (bit does not flare out from heel to toe).

Fiskars X27 Splitting Axe (#7884)
- same as X25 except it has a 36" handle

Fiskars Pro Splitting Axe (#7859)
- 28" handle
- lighter weight 2.xx lb head
- bit flares out from heel to toe (more like a chopping axe)

Thanks

Seems the local Sears only carries the lighter Pro Splitting version.

And to think I had all this figured out. Back to square 1 in figuring out which splitter/maul to buy. Man, I wish I could put my hands on these and test them out. I don't mind buying the more expensive one, but I want to make sure it fits and works well (a "free" tool that doesn't work or fit well isn't worth the price).

I own and have used the Pro and Super splitting axes. The one for splitting wood is the Super Splitting Axe (now known as the X25). No contest.

I shall soon own the X27 because I like the idea of the 36" handle.

Baileys (AS sponsor) has both:
Fiskars Super Splitting Axes

If you shop around, there are places that sell the 28" Fiskars Super Splitting Axe for under $40 (and free shipping!).

I own and have used the Pro and Super splitting axes. The one for splitting wood is the Super Splitting Axe (now known as the X25). No contest.

I shall soon own the X27 because I like the idea of the 36" handle.

Baileys (AS sponsor) has both:
Fiskars Super Splitting Axes

If you shop around, there are places that sell the 28" Fiskars Super Splitting Axe for under $40 (and free shipping!).

Thanks
In my garage is a brand new 2.xx lb. Pro Splitter 28"

I'm debating over whether I ought to try it out and start whacking some wood or take it back and start all over with my search. Guy at the store did say there was a 90 day satisfaction guarantee so I might simply give it a try. They can order the 28" Super Splitter but not the x27 Super splitter.

My head hurts. I need a beer.

I have used both extensively, and there is a large difference in how well they work on much of the wood. If I could have only one, it would have to be the Super Splitter, and with the original 28" handle.

So the X25 is the same as the super splitter, and the X27 is the same as the X25, but with a longer handle?

Saw troll, have you used the 36" one and if so why do you prefer the 28" one?

1. So the X25 is the same as the super splitter, and

2. the X27 is the same as the X25, but with a longer handle?

1. The x25 replaced what is/was called the 28" super splitter. They modified the super splitter just a bit (new shaped knob on handle & increased the cutting edge).

2. Yes, pretty much. The x27 is the same as the x25, but with a longer handle.

I have tried the ace hardware in anchorage for the 36" but no luck so I grabbed a second with the 28" I am brainwashed into believing nothing works as well as these splitters. I split a few cords per week.

Dont even mess with the Pro Splitting axe. Its just depends if you prefer a 36" handle or a 28". The X series has a nicer coating on the handle for better grip. I've got the older SS and the X27. I've had the SS for 3 years now and split a lot of wood with it. I picked up the X27 when it came out and love it. I always wanted a longer handle on the SS, now I've got it.

There is a ton of info over in the firewood forum on the Fiskars axes.

I bought the Super Splitter from Bailey's a year or so ago. 28" handle. I had been using a long-handled double-bit axe for many years prior to this, and I felt the handle too short on the Fiskar's when I got it.

However, after using it the past year, I am accustomed to it and it is great. I would have bought the longer-handled version had it been available back then, but I am completely happy with the 28" now.

Back