fiskers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are fiskars really that good?

I am heading into the next town tomorrow after work and was thinking of grabbing a couple of them (splitting plus a smaller one) to try out.

I like the idea of not breaking axe handles on a regular basis. Has anyone used them in -22 to -40 temps? Do the handles last in the cooler temps?

Thanks

Are fiskars really that good?

I am heading into the next town tomorrow after work and was thinking of grabbing a couple of them (splitting plus a smaller one) to try out.

I like the idea of not breaking axe handles on a regular basis. Has anyone used them in -22 to -40 temps? Do the handles last in the cooler temps?

Thanks
I have no idea how cold that is, if it is "F" degrees - but they hold up just fine in -25 Celsius....:)

Lots of cold weather in Finland, so I don't think it is an issue.

Last edited:
I have no idea how cold that is, if it is "F" degrees - but they hold up just fine in -25 Celsius....:)

Lots of cold weather in Finland, so I don't think it is an issue.

arghh ... I converted it to fahrenheit, but forgot to include the symbol. Sorry!

My winter cutting is done in temps that range from about -30C to -40C, with a few trips in higher or lower temps.

Excellent point about Finland temps. I will pick up a splitter and a general use axe tomorrow.

Thanks!

arghh ... I converted it to fahrenheit, but forgot to include the symbol. Sorry!

My winter cutting is done in temps that range from about -30C to -40C, with a few trips in higher or lower temps.

Excellent point about Finland temps. I will pick up a splitter and a general use axe tomorrow.

Thanks!

Still no clue to the "F" degrees - Greek to me.......:D

Still no clue to the "F" degrees - Greek to me.......:D

Then I am glad I stated it in celcius after all. :D

I only picked up the splitting axe for now. It seemed pretty small to me and I will just use it as a general use axe while I am figuring out if I like it. If it works out well for me I will buy one of the really small ones the next time I come across them.

my splitting axe seems to have lots of pop for the size, i don't know much about celsius, and I didn't split in really cold weather but they are lifetime warranteed right?

my splitting axe seems to have lots of pop for the size, i don't know much about celsius, and I didn't split in really cold weather but they are lifetime warranteed right?

POP

Yeah, that's it. I just got back from splitting some wood and this fiskars is easily the best of anything that I have used.

My previous splitting axes have merely been bigger versions of regular axes. They always did right by me, or at least until the handle broke. They always seemed to break just past where my hands would be at the end of a swing.

This fiskars is lighter, has a more aggressive angle, and easily split the blocks that I asked it to.

Barring any cold-related failures this axe should be with me for a long time and, if so, its replacement will also be a fiskars.

POP

Yeah, that's it. I just got back from splitting some wood and this fiskars is easily the best of anything that I have used.

My previous splitting axes have merely been bigger versions of regular axes. They always did right by me, or at least until the handle broke. They always seemed to break just past where my hands would be at the end of a swing.

This fiskars is lighter, has a more aggressive angle, and easily split the blocks that I asked it to.

Barring any cold-related failures this axe should be with me for a long time and, if so, its replacement will also be a fiskars.

I havent seen a single fiskars with broken handle so far, so handles breaking shouldnt be a problem unless you like to hit under the throat always...

And yeah, we finns are great, we got the best axes and prettiest blondes :jester:

I havent seen a single fiskars with broken handle so far, so handles breaking shouldnt be a problem unless you like to hit under the throat always...

And yeah, we finns are great, we got the best axes and prettiest blondes :jester:
I had a neighbor wreck a handle on his fiskers. Accidently cut thru it with his chainsaw.:ices_rofl:
He jammed a hunk of aluminum inside and now it works again.

I have to admit I love my Fiskars (too many to mention, but including gardening tools and axes perhaps 12 tools). I also have had great admiration for the inherent courage of Finns-all anyone has to do is ask an older Russian, and my business associations on large projects with both Tampella and Valmet have been excellent, however your comments about "prettiest blondes" show that you are the first Finn I have ever met to display even the slightest hint of a sense of humor.

Last edited:
I had a neighbor wreck a handle on his fiskers. Accidently cut thru it with his chainsaw.:ices_rofl:
He jammed a hunk of aluminum inside and now it works again.

A former friend of mine managed to do it as well, hitting the concrete floor in his garage (was a 1400)............:bang: :bang:

Knowing him, I guess he tried really hard, but got it replaced on warrency anyway.......

After reading your reviews of the fiskars splitter I had to order one for my self. I've split about a cord with it so far and it works great. It's a little disconcerting to have the axe thrown back at you the first couple of swings if the log doesn't split but it's a lot better than having to wrestle an axe back from an ornery log. Once I got used to it (20 minutes or so) I found that my time from one log to the next dropped considerably.
My only complaint is the super short handle. I use a chopping block w/tire to split on but I still think it would be a bit more comfortable to have a 32+ inch handle.
Anyway, I just wanted to thank you guys for the good info.

Yesterday I got a Fiskars (4 lb Super Splitter) from Menards. Said "on sale" and the price was $32.80. My friend also bought one. She's a small woman but found it handier than a 6 lb maul. I gave it a brief test when I got home and it seems to work nicely. But like others have said, the handle seems too short. Time will tell.

Latest posts

Back