Fix MS200T or buy MS201 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oxman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Howdy,

I have a saw that came back from the shop fine but quit running right after a couple days. A MS200 farting with some kind of carburation/air leak problem that won't develop full RPM's even when pulling the trigger over & over. Guess it's time for a new carb. That's $90 + labor. What carb is needed ?

This is nothing new. The tuneup he just did was $135 & covered lots of unrelated stuff to find and fix the electrical problem, which was that the ground wire had pulled loose when the chain got pinched & I yanked the bar out of the cut. Intermittant short (hard to diagnose, except) that I had listed "electrical problem" on the tag when dropping the saw off at the shop.

He said the fuel line was cracked & squirting gas, so it, the plug, fuel filter & air filter were replaced. Took the carb apart & put it back together since the diaphrams were ok. He only charged me for parts for this process, since it still wouldn't run. Then he checked the wire.

Now my question is: Is it worth it to spend another $135 (total $270) to get get a $650 saw running?

I heard the silicone crank seals can deteriorate from overheating or under the corrosion of ethanol in modern gas & let air in. This would be even more money, and wouldn't be able to be diagnosed until a fresh carb was determined to have no effect. The good thing is, a spare good carb would land in my parts bin.

So much for old MS200's. MS201's can be modded to improve power over a stock saw.

I also just aquired a new MS362 that I would like to ship to a shop to be properly prepared. Nobody in Washington state wants to touch it.

Thanx for the feedback.

Ox

Last edited:
I would get the 200 fixed. I would look at another shop to make repairs. This sounds like alot of trouble with a good saw. I have taken carb off and blown out a few times. Been a good little saw.

Unless it has changed yet again, the latest greatest carb part number is 1129-120-0653. That was as of 9/15/2012.

Tony

Howdy,

I have a saw that came back from the shop fine but quit running right after a couple days. A MS200 farting with some kind of carburation/air leak problem that won't develop full RPM's even when pulling the trigger over & over. Guess it's time for a new carb. That's $90 + labor. What carb is needed ?

This is nothing new. The tuneup he just did was $135 & covered lots of unrelated stuff to find and fix the electrical problem, which was that the ground wire had pulled loose when the chain got pinched & I yanked the bar out of the cut. Intermittant short (hard to diagnose, except) that I had listed "electrical problem" on the tag when dropping the saw off at the shop.

He said the fuel line was cracked & squirting gas, so it, the plug, fuel filter & air filter were replaced. Took the carb apart & put it back together since the diaphrams were ok. He only charged me for parts for this process, since it still wouldn't run. Then he checked the wire.

Now my question is: Is it worth it to spend another $135 (total $270) to get get a $650 saw running?

I heard the silicone crank seals can deteriorate from overheating or under the corrosion of ethanol in modern gas & let air in. This would be even more money, and wouldn't be able to be diagnosed until a fresh carb was determined to have no effect. The good thing is, a spare good carb would land in my parts bin.

So much for old MS200's. MS201's can be modded to improve power over a stock saw.

I also just aquired a new MS362 that I would like to ship to a shop to be properly prepared. Nobody in Washington state wants to touch it.

Thanx for the feedback.

Ox

Parts yes, shop labor..err..no.

You asked. You can swap your own carb, etc and you could have diagnosed that switch short fairly easily.

I would just FIX the 200T... - BUT... - with someone else doing the repairs..!!!

You could send saw to Brad Snelling..."Mastermind"...Thall...etc. - !!

Or try replacing the carb with the carb TonyRumore suggested - do check to see if that's the latest model..!!

The carbs on these little saws are legendary POS's - I've had no problems....yet..!!..:thinking:
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
I just fixed a 200T that I got from a fence installer . He said it wouldn't idle and throttle response was bad . I thought it was carb. related but after trying 2 differant carbs I tore it apart and found a scorred piston and cylinder. After finding a doner saw it runs like top . I think I'm going to flip this saw since these saws are not to good for cutting firewood . They seem to bring good money .

What'r used & parts saws going for these days? Maybe we can help each other with a PM.

I have a very good 020AV old friend on Craigslist right now. My trusty buddy that goes way back to before they even had chain brakes. At the time, the onehanders we used were the Homelite Super EZ Automatic 25. After that, it was PowerMac 6 until the 020 came out.

Stihl 020AV

Guess this other posting for a 036 should go up here, too.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tls/3987136545.html

Spose I'll get banned again for 'advertising' another website on this forum?

Last edited:
Back