Fix or forget a Homelite 27AV? (I can hear your laughter)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBGO83

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A Homelite 27AV, with an 18" bar to be exact. :laugh:

Yes... Yes... I know, this is a cheap hunk-o-plastic abomination that could easily be the butt of most jokes.
But, I'm the type of guy that likes to get every last little bit of goodness out of something before I'm inclined to toss it.
In other words, I don't subscribed to the throw-away societies mentality.

A brief history....
This saw was a factory reman unit purchased on a paupers budget for the nominal sum of $65 (I know you're already rolling your eyes).
Despite the low-rent quality, and bad rep, this saw would always start and run like a million bucks after 2-3 pulls, even after months of inactivity, and it would always do everything I asked of it. As you can imagine, I don't work for a tree service. I don't have 50, 15, or even 5 cords a year I need to cut up. The saw is basically used for yard maintenance, and making little ones out of big ones when it comes to cutting logs up for the wood stove at my camp.

Well, my cheap bliss was busted up last year when my buddy was using this saw around his new house to trim up some light stuff. According to him, there was a decent amount of smoke bellowing out of the sprocket cover, and eventually it slowed the engine down. He pulled the cover, and found that the plastic around the clutch band had melted. Then to make matters worse, this now displaced plastic goo was forcing the band into the side of the clutch bell. After looking around here and elsewhere, this seems to be a pattern failure with this saw. If you know anything about this model, you may know that the clutch band is integrated into the chassis rather then being a part of the sprocket cover. In other words, the chassis would need to be replaced in order to set things right. I looked up the cost of a replacement chassis from Homelite, and I'm looking at a cost of $56 + S&H (basically what I payed for the darn thing). I noticed that the part number for the chassis has changed, which makes me wonder if Homelite perhaps resolved the issue with a new chassis design, or is the changed P/N something as stupid as a different color plastic.

So after that long boring stupid story, what do you fellas think? Should I roll the dice on an otherwise good running saw, and hope she stays fixed? Or should I cut my losses, and forget throwing good money after bad?

For a replacement, I have been considering a Husqvarna 445 refurb on e-bay. I'm aware this is a consumer grade saw (I worked as a grunt at a hardware store that was a dealer of both consumer and pro-grade husky equipment, and often times had to assemble the saws), but considering what I need it for, plus the fact that I am now working with just a hair above a paupers budget, It seems like a reasonably priced saw for what I need. Though I would love to own one, I just can't justify dropping 5+ bills on a pro grade unit.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Personally, I'd find another saw, and I'm in no way knocking your saw when I say that. It sounds like you got a good $65 out of what is basically a throw-away saw. I'd buy another cheap refurb before I'd try to fix it.

Last edited:
Not a bad use of 60+ bucks, really.
Had one once...ran good, leaked a llittle bar oil. Sold it for 30 bucks.
If you'd like to resurrect the one you have, you might try just using a dremel knock-off to remove whatever plastic that entombs the brake or clutch drum. Recreate missing plastic with epoxy or jb stick. JB sands and files easily.
Going forward... Just don't lend it again.:msp_biggrin:
-br

Any number of nice barely used poulans out there for cheap on craigslist or wherever. They work fine. If they are new enough to have shipped with limiter caps on the carb screws, remove them, tune properly, hog out/mod the muffler a little, done. Cheap, pauper budget. I am on a similar budget, I get them for free or like ten bucks, some new fuel lines and a carb cleaning, etc..good to go.

For brand new, the poulan pp5020av is getting some decent cred for a cheap new saw (50cc) around here.

Of course, if you don't have to cut much at all, you can score a 30 or 36" bowsaw and some extra blades for pretty cheap too, and once you get the hang of it, you can knock out some firewood pretty handily.

I'm totally serious, when I first started burning firewood for my only heat, that's what I used, 4-6 cords a year (heating/cooking year round, plus just a couple gallons of maple syrup a year), eastern hardwoods primarily. It's easier and faster than most people might think. Yes, not as fast as a chainsaw, but no problems with them starting and working or getting spare parts either.

Glad you learned your lesson on lending out saws with a $65.00 throw away version. Don't make the same mistake with your new MS441.

Sounds like you are handy with saws. You can find a saw for $20 or less with a case and that probably only needs carb cleaning or rebuild. Get one of those. Yours is not worth the time or money. Maybe you can find its twin and build one out of two. In fact, let your friends and acquaintances know you are looking for a non running saw to fix and score one that way for free. As discussed in other threads, a cheapo saw will last for years if treated well. What happened to yours is it apparently was mistreated... For no more than you cut another low budget saw will be perfect.

A Homelite 27AV, with an 18" bar to be exact. :laugh:

Yes... Yes... I know, this is a cheap hunk-o-plastic abomination that could easily be the butt of most jokes.
But, I'm the type of guy that likes to get every last little bit of goodness out of something before I'm inclined to toss it.
In other words, I don't subscribed to the throw-away societies mentality.

A brief history....
This saw was a factory reman unit purchased on a paupers budget for the nominal sum of $65 (I know you're already rolling your eyes).
Despite the low-rent quality, and bad rep, this saw would always start and run like a million bucks after 2-3 pulls, even after months of inactivity, and it would always do everything I asked of it. As you can imagine, I don't work for a tree service. I don't have 50, 15, or even 5 cords a year I need to cut up. The saw is basically used for yard maintenance, and making little ones out of big ones when it comes to cutting logs up for the wood stove at my camp.

Well, my cheap bliss was busted up last year when my buddy was using this saw around his new house to trim up some light stuff. According to him, there was a decent amount of smoke bellowing out of the sprocket cover, and eventually it slowed the engine down. He pulled the cover, and found that the plastic around the clutch band had melted. Then to make matters worse, this now displaced plastic goo was forcing the band into the side of the clutch bell. After looking around here and elsewhere, this seems to be a pattern failure with this saw. If you know anything about this model, you may know that the clutch band is integrated into the chassis rather then being a part of the sprocket cover. In other words, the chassis would need to be replaced in order to set things right. I looked up the cost of a replacement chassis from Homelite, and I'm looking at a cost of $56 + S&H (basically what I payed for the darn thing). I noticed that the part number for the chassis has changed, which makes me wonder if Homelite perhaps resolved the issue with a new chassis design, or is the changed P/N something as stupid as a different color plastic.

So after that long boring stupid story, what do you fellas think? Should I roll the dice on an otherwise good running saw, and hope she stays fixed? Or should I cut my losses, and forget throwing good money after bad?

For a replacement, I have been considering a Husqvarna 445 refurb on e-bay. I'm aware this is a consumer grade saw (I worked as a grunt at a hardware store that was a dealer of both consumer and pro-grade husky equipment, and often times had to assemble the saws), but considering what I need it for, plus the fact that I am now working with just a hair above a paupers budget, It seems like a reasonably priced saw for what I need. Though I would love to own one, I just can't justify dropping 5+ bills on a pro grade unit.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

I personally like the little plastic Homelites and have found them to be good, solid little saws for the money. Their A/V system isn't the best, but you're not going to be cutting with it for hours at a time. If you don't want to repair it send me a PM before you toss it.

I have a good 45cc Powerstroke engine in a chassis (Ranger? Missing too much stuff to tell) you are welcome to for postage. Blows 140 psi.

Carl.

If he isn't interested I am.

dd

Thanks for the responses.

boltonranger
If you'd like to resurrect the one you have, you might try just using a dremel knock-off to remove whatever plastic that entombs the brake or clutch drum. Recreate missing plastic with epoxy or jb stick. JB sands and files easily.

This is one thing I have been considering. Clean up all the plastic boogers with a dremel, and see what I have to work with. If there is not enough material there, either build it up with epoxy or JB like you say, or get crafty and see if I can rebuild the area with some sheet metal.

zogger
Any number of nice barely used poulans out there for cheap on craigslist or wherever. They work fine. If they are new enough to have shipped with limiter caps on the carb screws, remove them, tune properly, hog out/mod the muffler a little, done. Cheap, pauper budget. I am on a similar budget, I get them for free or like ten bucks, some new fuel lines and a carb cleaning, etc..good to go.

For brand new, the poulan pp5020av is getting some decent cred for a cheap new saw (50cc) around here.

Of course, if you don't have to cut much at all, you can score a 30 or 36" bowsaw and some extra blades for pretty cheap too, and once you get the hang of it, you can knock out some firewood pretty handily.

I'm totally serious, when I first started burning firewood for my only heat, that's what I used, 4-6 cords a year (heating/cooking year round, plus just a couple gallons of maple syrup a year), eastern hardwoods primarily. It's easier and faster than most people might think. Yes, not as fast as a chainsaw, but no problems with them starting and working or getting spare parts either.

I'll take your thoughts under consideration.
My feelings on this is I either want to work with what I have, or step up a tier, and get something new or re-manufactured with a warranty.

BTW, You're a more ambitious man then me Sir... I own a bow saw, and while I agree it makes short work of light work, I'm really just far too lazy to cut anything more then a few branches with it...:msp_biggrin:

Guido Salvage
Don't make the same mistake with your new MS441.

You're a funny guy... $850 for that little gem... Gimme 2 of them!:laugh:

67L36Driver
I have a good 45cc Powerstroke engine in a chassis (Ranger? Missing too much stuff to tell) you are welcome to for postage. Blows 140 psi.

I really appreciate your offer. Not one issue with the engine in my saw, just the chassis. Truth be told, I bought another 27AV off ebay with out seeing a pic of the chassis in the offending area. The seller had listed it as having a blown engine which wasn't the case. In reality the chassis for that saw was melted in the same area (I should have asked before I bought it). This is why I believe it is a pattern failure, and there is probably a good chance if a standard 27AV hasn't melted down yet, it eventually will. Like I said before, I'm inclined to work with what I have to see if I can fix it up.

To give you some idea, here's what I'm working with;

This black chassis saw is mine.
View attachment 234424

This red chassis saw is the ebay "score".
View attachment 234425

Again guys, I appreciate your advice and offers.
As far as the buddy who I loaned the saw to, we're square. He did a couple of state inspections for me at no charge which comes out to about what the saw or a new chassis was worth. Plus after seeing multiple saws, and internet posts about this issue, I believe it was just something that the saw was destined to do, rather then neglect on his part.

My feelings right now on this is to work with what I have, get it back up and running, and probably leave it up at the cottage for a just-in-case deal. My mother and her boyfriend go up to the camp at times with out me, and occasionally need to use the wood stove. If I leave it there for them to use, that's fine by me. If it somehow grew legs during the off season like allot of things do up there, of course I wouldn't be too happy, but it wouldn't be a huge loss either.

I have to admit, I went to Lowes last night, and hefted the 445. Defiantly a step up from what I'm working with now. The other part of this conundrum is we are having a new well installed at the cottage, and as such need to knock down several trees to properly trench the line below the frost line. I'm figuring a couple days worth of work between knocking stuff down, and cutting everything up manageable logs and brush. Hence why I need a saw that really is "Simply Reliable". Think I'm gunna be placing my order after the next pay check. :msp_wink:

It sounds like you would be a perfect fit for a saw that comes with the PowerSharp bar and chain system on it! Check out their ad at the top of this forum! I have the system on my Poulan 2550 and it works great! You'll NEVER touch a file again! They system is great for the occasional saw user. When you're using it, don't wait too long to sharpen. Short bursts with the sharpener IMO will increase the life of the chain as to waiting until it's totally dull and having to remove lots of tooth! (here I'm talking as if you already have the system! :msp_biggrin: )

This isn't the only saw I have and I do file and grind my chains... FYI

Here are your pics embeded:

234424d1334851660-img_0237-jpg

This one is easier to see the damage. I would think if you pull the clutch off (special tool and piston stop required, and then there's MY way) that should/might clean up.
234425d1334851664-img_0238-jpg

Last edited:
It sounds like you would be a perfect fit for a saw that comes with the PowerSharp bar and chain system on it! Check out their ad at the top of this forum! I have the system on my Poulan 2550 and it works great! You'll NEVER touch a file again! They system is great for the occasional saw user. When you're using it, don't wait too long to sharpen. Short bursts with the sharpener IMO will increase the life of the chain as to waiting until it's totally dull and having to remove lots of tooth! (here I'm talking as if you already have the system! :msp_biggrin: )

This isn't the only saw I have and I do file and grind my chains... FYI

I've seen those around before. Always thought they were a gimmick. But it sounds like you are having good luck with it. Something to consider, although they currently do not offer a .325 compatible model (says it's in development). For the time being, I have been using my dremel set on low with the chain sharpener attachment. Works fairly well. I can sharpen my chain in about 3-5 minutes.

I would think if you pull the clutch off (special tool and piston stop required, and then there's MY way) that should/might clean up.

That's my thoughts, and I don't need no stinkin special tools.:wink2:
A sacrificial 3/8ths drive impact socket ground down in the correct manner should be able to get the clutch off. A length of rope is all I use as a piston stop (old trick I learned back in reform... err...uhh....trade school).

I'd have a hard time stuffing $60 worth of parts on a $65 saw. I'd keep an eye on craigslist for a used saw as mentioned, or grab one of the husky 435 refurbs when funds permit. They are $150 shipped from the sellers website instead of off ebay.

I just gave mine the big shakedown last night, two tanks of fuel and after a couple adjustments it works really well. My only complaint is the clutch seems a little weak or I'm expecting too much from it. For $150 is a good buy.

SBGO83:

Pattern failure it is, made worse by the nut behind the throttle. This 45cc carcass I have has the area of the tub behind the clutch toasted also.

The other failure mode is a dead coil. The 33cc Bandit I have is on its' third one.

diggers_dad:

The bare engine will fit in the $11.35 USPS medium flat rate box. P.M. your address if you want it.

Carl.

I wonder how much I can get for the Bandit at a pawn shop..................................................

SBGO83:

Pattern failure it is, made worse by the nut behind the throttle. This 45cc carcass I have has the area of the tub behind the clutch toasted also.

The other failure mode is a dead coil. The 33cc Bandit I have is on its' third one.

diggers_dad:

The bare engine will fit in the $11.35 USPS medium flat rate box. P.M. your address if you want it.

Carl.

I wonder how much I can get for the Bandit at a pawn shop..................................................

PM sent!

Fix or forget a Homelite 27AV? *UPDATE*

Gentlemen....

I figure I would make an update to this thread, since it has a happy ending.

Not so much for my Homelite. It's resting in pieces still, but someday it may have a rebirth, or the engine in it will make for one hellacious R/C car engine....:wink2:

Anyway...
I pulled the trigger on a new saw. I had mulled over the 445 a little more, then wondered about the next one up in the pecking order (the 450). Looked up the info, and seemed like a better idea to me. More power, slightly more weight but not as chunky as the 455 Rancher. OK... whats the price?

Well, turns out at the time Newegg.com (the computer/electronics people) were selling them for VMInnovations. They had a listing for a NEW 450 saw at $319.95 with free S&H. Hey, that's the same price Lowes wants for a new 445, Sold! The catch.... Well turns out there was a listing error. Someone either at Newegg or VMInnovations apparently didn't have their morning coffee when they had listed the 445, and instead listed the 450 on the site for price of a new 445. When VMInnovations sent me the invoice for the saw they had shipped, it said "445 new" on it. Well, that isn't the one I ordered, so I called Newegg, who quickly passed the buck over to VMInnovations (gave me the number to call). I called the folks at VMInnovations, and to tell you the truth, they were awesome about it. The lady said not a problem, just refuse the saw when it gets delivered, and when we get it back we will send you the correct saw at no extra cost to you. Perfect!!!

Then the whole shipping issue came...
On the day the wrong saw is supposed to show up, I get a call from VMInnovations saying the saw has been delivered to one of the neighbors down the street with a similar address, but not a big deal, we will send you a return shipping label and you can drop it off at FedEx. OK... So I go walking down the street looking for house number 20 (I work at number 2). I walk past the apartment house next door, the power equipment place two doors over, then cross a diagonal road to continue walking down my street, and the next place I see is another apartment house with number 28 on it. Huh??? Wheres number 20? Uhhh uh-oh... I walk back, and it turns out the power equipment place is number 20 :eek2:, and also a Stihl dealer!!!! :eek: :eek:.

So I walk in and say... "Well looks like my Husqvarna got delivered to the Stihl dealer"... The lady behind the counter really wasn't in a joking mood. I guess she just got chewed out by the owner for signing for a package that wasn't for them. She had also called FedEx, who told her to hold on to it until the driver can come back to make an "official transfer", so I couldn't even get my hands on the wrong saw to send back for the one I ordered until I finally went over at the end of the following day and talked to the owner about it (FedEx was a complete no show :angry:). He was completely cool about it, and we talked shop for about 20 minutes.

So anyway, that one got shipped back, and I just got my new 450 today. I'm diggin it... :cool2:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back