Fix up a CS 452VL or carry on with 2054 Turbo?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiloFrance

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Evening folks
Just got my hands on a CS 452VL needing some parts and work. I currently have an Alpina 360 and a Jonsered 2054 Turbo (20").
The Echo is heavier but more powerful, and looking at the spec is slightly later (early 80s?) as it has a chain brake. Is it worth the extra weight and power to use the echo or should I just be happy with the other two that I know (and a CS 750EVL that I just got but seems to run OK)? I don't use them much but around this time of year my work seems to be needing them more and more. I'm pretty new to all this ("ya don't say!") but learning fast I hope!

2054 is a pretty nice machine that should have a performance level comparable to more modern saws.
If the 452vl has more power then something is wrong with the 2054.
A decent 750evl is an old Echo worth keeping, should be a beast with a 28" bar and if running right should be more than just "OK".

Just looking at the paper for the power ratings. 2054 is 3.5 hp vs 5.6 hp for the Echo I think? The 750 could well be the subject of an upcoming thread ;)

As mentioned on another thread, I'm not at all mechanical. I think I'll get more out of stripping this down to bare bones than I would if I pass it on for spares. Bench is nearly cleaned up, out with the spanners!

i've cut with both the 701 and 750 with 28" bars chisel skip chain and have found them to just be oookay. Why fix up a 452? I can buy one right now for $80 in good working condition. Just bought a 451 that had been gone through for $80.

I'm not talking about fixing it up, but I've never yet completely stripped a 2 stroke. More of a learning experience and if some of the parts are in good nick, maybe pass them on to the next owner, or see if I can get it back together in the right order ;)

Back