Fixing to burn it! Stihl 025

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel JD

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm beginning to get frustrated with this thing. I rebuilt the carb today on the 025 because it wouldn't run right. Now it will barely fire at all. I guess I could ahev made a mistake on assembly, but I just putthings back like they were. Is it difficult to get these things restarted after an overhaul of the carb or is something obviously wrong? Thanks for any ideas.
J.D.

May have to prime it the first time, but after that you've got problems. Make sure to adjust it.

On another note, I spent some time getting my Mac 125 dialed in for some activity today. Put in the back of truck and went down the road to attack a stump. Darn thing wouldn't start. Pulled and pulled and nothing. Got it back home, and found a loose wire on the coil that fell off when I put the saw in my truck. And now I have a loose welch plug that puked bar oil everywhere.

Chis B.

JD, where are your High & Low idle screws set at? Start by lightly bottoming them, and then turn them out one full turn. This will get you your baseline until you can fine tune later. Try a little pre-mix down the carb to get er goin'. After a carb rebuild, there is nothing for the diaphram to suck and push. So a little pre-mix down the carb helps sometimes. Is the impulse line in good shape? Just a few things to add to hopefully make that thing start.

Good luck, Gary

Make sure the Pump Diaphragm is against the body of the carb, and the metering diaphragm against the cover i.e., there is a gasket between the metering diaphragm and the carb body. Also, check your metering spring is located beneath the arm correctly and not off to one side. Apart from that, there isn't much that can go wrong.

if what the guys who have posted before me does not work for you then you may have to take it into a dealer to get them to take a look at it either way I would rather hear that you have got that stihl up and running than you have gone and given it a gasoline bath and then towelled it off with a match.

Look at your fuel line for cracks between the tank and carb. Also look and make sure the impulse line has not become disconnected from the plastic nipple on the inside
of the rear handle, both of these problems are common with 025s

Maybe the problem is the impulse hose, that could be why it wouldn't run right in the first place. A saw may rum without a good impulse signal as long as the fuel line was full before hand. It certainly will not prime without a good impulse signal. The impulse hose on an 025 is under the airbox.

What Fish said. A lot of running problems with Stihls turn out to be fuel line cracks especially between the carb and tank. Most times, not always, you'll see some fuel residue on top of the tank which is a dead give away. Any leak will also be a source of sucking air instead of fuel.

Diesel JD,

I hope that you won`t mind if Lakeside posts what he finds when he fixes your saw. It would benefit everyone.

Russ

jokers said:
Diesel JD,

I hope that you won`t mind if Lakeside posts what he finds when he fixes your saw. It would benefit everyone.

Russ

I'll send photos (of the problem) if Diesel says it's o.k!

I'm working on a 25 from the working stable that has the same problem, no start, everything checked out good, except the crank seals, check them out on your saw. The seals on this saw were really bad, the flywheel side I could rotate with a small screw driver, the clutch side was just plain shot I could push the seal back and forth on the crankshaft.

The engine on the 25 doesn't have a jug gasket, just sealant between the two halves so it might be sucking air here and around the crankseals, won't start or run right if this is the problem. The two halves of the engine on this saw literally fell in two when I went to take the engine out of the body of the saw, because the sealant was gone, most of the time the engine will hold together as one when you go to extract the engine from the body of the saw.

This will be tonights project putting the saw back together, with a few light mods of course. but I have to get Mrs. Ax dryer back together first, give ya two guesses which job I would rather be doing :laugh:

Hope this helps a little.

Larry

Yeah I don't mind of he posts wahtever he finds...even if it indicates I did something stupid. I'll get with you as soon as I can about shipment and such.

Back