I picked up an old Stihl today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188535

Chainsaw-wielding middle-schooler
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up this cool old auger today. I know it is not a chainsaw, but I did not know where to post this. It is a BT 106 and it needs a major cleaning and carb overhaul. I bought it when the guy at the local rental place showed me the new Eliet chipper and I saw this thing. I bought it for 40 bucks and just spent 70 bucks on eBay to get parts to fix it. It starts but won't run. There is definitely nothing wrong with the ignition system, as I got quite the shock after trying to start it the first time.

20230909_143827.jpg

I picked up this cool old auger today. I know it is not a chainsaw, but I did not know where to post this. It is a BT 106 and it needs a major cleaning and carb overhaul. I bought it when the guy at the local rental place showed me the new Eliet chipper and I saw this thing. I bought it for 40 bucks and just spent 70 bucks on eBay to get parts to fix it. It starts but won't run. There is definitely nothing wrong with the ignition system, as I got quite the shock after trying to start it the first time.

View attachment 1111158
That looks like one of the very first Stihl manufactured small engines that wasn't a chainsaw. It is probably half Stihl and half Tanaka. Need more photos. I would expect parts to be difficult or impossible to find.

I ended up scrapping a Stihl FS-65 that was really a rebadged Tanaka weedeater when parts became unavailable after Stihl and Tanaka went their separate ways.

That looks like one of the very first Stihl manufactured small engines that wasn't a chainsaw. It is probably half Stihl and half Tanaka. Need more photos. I would expect parts to be difficult or impossible to find.

I ended up scrapping a Stihl FS-65 that was really a rebadged Tanaka weedeater when parts became unavailable after Stihl and Tanaka went their separate ways.
I got everything I needed for it on eBay. There is also an FS 106 which has a lot of identical parts. I will get more photos later.

1000001262.jpg1000001261.jpg1000001260.jpg
And yes, Those are real cannonballs in the background.

That is a Tanaka engine. You can tell by the metal clutch housing with the exiting ignition lead. The rest of the parts may be either Stihl or Tanaka. Watch the gas tank they get brittle and crack with advance age (sort of like people)!
Hmm. Good to know. I found a video of one in action:

Latest posts

Back