Flattening A Warped Intake Manifold.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$400 on a mini lathe- or $4 on some scrap glass sheet, some water and a sheet of wet and dry paper?
People have been using the latter for flattening mating surfaces since near the dark ages- if it aint broke, dont try to fix it.
I used to fix Holley Carbs the same way. The metering/power valve body would warp with heat and the engine would fall flat on sudden acceleration. Flatten it out cured them. Some were so bad I had to start with a large file. I do the same on all my carbs and intakes now.

I measured this gasket which was 0.5mm. Engine would run; but when held vertically, it would die out. There was not a full seal made at the impulse. It could manage when the fuel supply didn’t have to act against gravity. When it did it would lean out.

I probably would have used glass and Emery cloth as well. However don't knock the usefulness of a small lathe, I've owned a unimat for years and lost track of how many times I've done small jobs with it

Latest posts

Back