John Deere CS56 ("Made in Italy"): Nice Looking Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sell Efcos. The 56cc saw is well made and is a good performer. It will outcut an 026.

The larger 981 is better suited to a firewood or farm saw than a logging saw. The only weakness I have noted is the durabality of the rubber anti vibe mounts, but they are no worse than most saws that are suspended by rubber. E-luxes steel springs is a better system.

Most of the JD dealers around here have loyalties to Stihl and Echo which most of them have sold while JD had no saws to sell. John Deere was in bed with Echo for several years. Now that JD has good saws (the Efcos), they are finding it difficult to snuggle in and get shelf space against the Stihl/Echo entrenchment.

Most of the publics perception of the value of a brand runs about 10 to 20 years behind the currently deserved reputations. Thats why McCullochs still sold 20 years after they were an industry leader.

You also have to keep in perspective that most Arborist Site regulars are far more savvy about saws than the average Joe Public.
I guess I'm not very savvy. I got a pile of Echo's. Even the stinkin old and slow 660 starts right up with a couple of pulls after sitting for months though.

I need a replacement carburetor for my JD CS56 chainsaw (not a kit). Does anyone know of a carburetor that fit a CS56 chainsaw?

I need a replacement carburetor for my JD CS56 chainsaw (not a kit). Does anyone know of a carburetor that fit a CS56 chainsaw?
Search this part #, Efco 50010302A. You will find some expensive OEM carburetors from Europe & some much cheaper aftermarket ones. I can’t speak about the aftermarket quality as I have not used one.
Really good saws, btw, I have one.

Search this part #, Efco 50010302A. You will find some expensive OEM carburetors from Europe & some much cheaper aftermarket ones. I can’t speak about the aftermarket quality as I have not used one.
Really good saws, btw, I have one.
After all of 20 years my CS56 just required replacing the primer bulb and the fuel line from the carb to primer had a tiny split in it, I noticed this spring the saw was starting to run slightly lean so a closer inspection found the culprits, now replaced and the saw is back to firewood duty.

Also one of those saws that responds really well to a modest muffler mod/timing adv.
Then there's the CS62, same chassis but quad port and a couple mm larger bore.
After many years of no aftermarket cylinders and a few very expensive oem, there's now various entities selling a reasonable facsimile of the quad version.

Back