Does size matter - John Deere 52 56 62 . . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archibaldtuttle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
in this narrower range. I'm replacing an Olympik 254 which is the best saw I ever owned. I never ran anything but a 20" bar and the thing kicked ass and the only thing I ever had to replace on it in 25 years was the electronic ignition module which went regularly every 5 years or so but cost like 50 bucks so I got to keeping one on the shelf.

Having not bought anything in a long time, it was news to me that olympik wasn't olympik anymore and you could get a green one.

I'm open to being talked out of it in favor of maybe Jon Sered, Stihl or Dolmar.

Probably nothing wrong with Huskies either, but I have an innate aversion the same way some have an innate aversion to olympik, oleo-mac, efco, john deere, name of the week. I'll credit Husky with keeping the name the same.

Anyway I do felling, trimming and firewood. but weekends not full time.

I liked the 20" bar compared to cheaper Poulan 16s I've copped to fill in while I figure out what my next saw will be. I always found the 254 an excellent compromise of power to weight. I don't know where it fits on that spec numerically compared to the 'modern' saws, I'm kind of thinking of going over to the manual begging thread to see if anyone has a book with the original specs. It would be great if emac has some online archives for this stuff that I haven't found yet, but I digress.

I'm assuming without having the specs that the 254 fell in between the CS52 and CS56 in displacement and weight. I think it might actually be closer to the 52 in weight.

The CS56 is offered with up to 20" bar on various sites at about $350 or $330 with 18" bar.

The CS52 runs just under $300 with an 18" bar.

The CS62 seems to be around $400.

So I'm wondering if the weight penalty for the 56 or 62 is worth it. They are a pound and half more. The power to weight ratio keeps going up as you go up the line of saws, but is the 52 at .309 and 11 lbs. respectable enough to run a 20" bar on the 52 - although they don't seem to list it.

I prefer chipper or semi-chisel chain. I do all my felling and bucking in the field and the risk of dulling the chisel and the kickback on back and plunge cuts has always steered me away. I think that would lessen the load a little bit on any given bar if I'm thinking correctly.

It looks like they may be phasing the 56 out. It doesn't show up reliably on deere's site and it weighs the same as the 62, and the 62 has more power (and a higher price point). Are there advantages one over the other?

Finally, while my earlier experience with olympik was pretty good, and I do most of my own service and am used to ordering parts on the internet, are there any parts or service pitfalls that anyone is aware of I should ponder before jumping into the italian saw market again.

(For instance, partly on the strength of my good result with italian saws I bought some whirlpool labeled italian washing machines and have never been more sorry in my life. accessibility to service info and parts is horrible and there are some fatal design flaws. I do all my own service and part of this was due to Whirlpool holding its cards close to the vest, but some was just untenable design. Had the main processers on 3 machines give up and went over to the lowest end frigidaire equivalents that still have analog controls. No idea where they are made, but much better results.)

Finally - like there ain't enough questions already, one thing I liked much about the 254 aside from good power to weight, good vibe control, good bucking forks and ergoniomics, was its sure starting (alright it didn't start so good when the electronic ignition went out but . . .). I've never had a chain saw with a primer bulb or compression release. I always just started with locked throttle or hand on trigger.

It the compression release just to let you rip a few times to get the carberator operating evenly before you try it with compression or . . .

And if that is what is does, is it a choke substitute or compensate for when its really cold or . . .

Nuff said (more than really). Thanks for any thoughts.

Brian

Welcome!

Of the three saws listed, I think the 62cc model would be preferable. The increase in HP over the 52cc is noticeable, and the weight is the same as with the 56cc.

The comp. release really serves to make pulling the saw over an easier task for the user and for the saw, reducing the load on the starting pawls. Do you need it? Probably not - I've got 110cc+ saws without them and they start just fine. I do find it nice to have on my 79cc Dolmar, as the compression is pretty darned high.

power to weight

I got you that the power to weight is superior on the 62 and I'm glad that you guys are the leading edge of cancer research there.

But I need you talk me out of my 50 something conception that the a 15% weight penalty in a saw that has to go both ways for me is worth it.

I'm going to try my friend's Stihl MS361 so I'll see how I like the heft. I think it weights 2 oz. more than the CS62.

If you figured that I don't often use the full capacity of the 20" bar, and that I was really happy with the 254, would you still try to talk me out of the CS52.

Any other feature oriented reasons for moving up to the 62.

Thanks for paying attention to my novel olympik selection.

brian

When you talk about JD saws 'being phased out', you should know that the entire line was discontinued last year and it is rapidly becoming difficult to find any of them at dealers, with the difficulty of obtaining one closely related to size, the 81 and 62 being the hardest to find, and the 36LE probably being the easiest.

D&G here in Michigan was probably the nation's leading seller of closeout JD saws. When I called my local store a couple of weeks ago they said no saws were available. I then emailed the store that had done a lot of internet sales, and they didn't even bother to reply to my email (and I'd bought five saws from them in November and December).

Welcome!

Of the three saws listed, I think the 62cc model would be preferable. The increase in HP over the 52cc is noticeable, and the weight is the same as with the 56cc.

Sure enough - and I also think there is a substantial quality diff. between the 52 and the others!

They all are old designs, with far from the best AV systems - some care, some don't......

Last edited:
Go With The 62!

I put a 20" bar and chain on one for a friend then did a carb adj. and that saw ROCKED!!!! I was very impressed by it's speed and power! A new one of those for $400 and change is a swinging deal!........:clap:.....Bob

J.D. Saws ..

I believe the 56/62 have full Magnesium Engine Cases. More of a top-level,
Pro design.
Might be wrong, but isn't the 52 a clamshell design ?

62cc JD = $400.
60cc STIHL = way more!

Get a 62. Super deal & saw, if you can locate one...

older vs. newer instead of oleo vs. butter

I guess the 254 I liked so much falls into a pretty old category with regard to countervibration design. I thought it was pretty comfortable but I haven't used anything comparable in a newer saw from any of the high end choices.

I am going to run an MS 361 next weekend (don't know how old it is but I'll find out) and the saw is virtually identical in weight tot he CS62 so I'll get a good feel for the weight.

I'm going to check with couple of the internet retailers I found it at to make sure they aren't on the verge of being out. It's funny I didn't find much reference to John Deere discontinuing this line and their own webpages don't indicate anything like that. I just noticed that the choie of the CS56 kept disappearing when I toggled between saws so I assumed that the CS56 specs I found were on a older or archived page whereas the others were current.

Maybe there are some other links here on arboristsite to info on John Deere dropping this line. Are they going out of chainsaws or changing whose saws they are going to brand?

I assume that the parts shouldn't be much problem if Emak is going to keep going under some brand and has reasonable market share in Europe.

I've got a gray market Hitachi excavator that is simimlar to a model John Deere once imported. So I can get a lot of parts from John Deere Yellow dealers but some I have to go to Hitachi in Japan. It is a little weird and the parts manual is in Japanese, but at least numbers are the same in Japan and USA so I can read the pictures. So I'm not put off something that is relabeled or not being sold as long as it doesn't look like the manufacturer is set up to go away. any info on best parts contacts for these saws and future direction for Emak in US would be appreciated. Looks like their EFCO saws are showing up as high end choices in low end stores, maybe replacing their John Deere strategy. Of course there are no guarantees in life and if any manufacturers were throwing in the towel, now could be the time. but I see a lot of professionals are happy with these saws and I think I would be (esp. given my good experience with the Oly 254.

What about oil mix on these saws. My 254 (being an older saw, I'm not sure this had so much to do with Emak being different) was a 32:1 which is rich by today's standards. John Deere won't cough up manuals but I found the Efcos version. It specifies 25:1 unless using "Prosint" oil in which case it specifies 50:1. I know that various (possibly synthetics) are avaialble which propose to help you standardize the different mixes. I run a few 50:1 homelite weed eaters, but honestly I'd rather take good care of the chain saw than worry about running those a little rich.

thanks again for your serious investment in helping me think about these saws.

Brian

Yes, JD dropped Efco and switched to Stihl. The good news is that we enjoyed closeout prices on the Efco JD saws (CS62 delivered to my door for $360). The bad news is that I no longer have a local source for Efco parts.

I imagine JD will continue to sell Efco parts until their parts inventory is depleted, after that, don't bet on it.

Emak has been around for along time, so parts will be available, the question is where ?

The CS62 manual recommends a 50:1 mix.

The 62cc Efco has been replaced by a 65cc model, the Efco 165. I'm sure it's a nice saw, but for $545, you might as well buy a Stihl MS361. It's a lot easier to get parts for a Stihl, and the Stihl will have a better resale value.

If you can get a CS62 for $400 or less, you won't be sorry. It's a dandy.

Discontinued by John Deere doesn't bother me much. Just purchased this CS56 for $331. I'm not using it to make a living, just my own entertainment. This is the first try-out. Smiles all around. Sorry to the Stihl and Husky addicts.

DSC01171.jpg

Discontinued by John Deere doesn't bother me much. Just purchased this CS56 for $331. I'm not using it to make a living, just my own entertainment. This is the first try-out. Smiles all around. Sorry to the Stihl and Husky addicts.

:yourock: :agree2:

Great saws. I put them in the same class as the Husky 365 - people who actually own them love them, but nobody else does. The CS56 and CS62 blaze!

DSC01171.jpg

Is this one of those Italian Deeres I've been reading about?Nice lookin' saw:cheers:

I have an Oleomac 152 which is the same as the CS52 just different clothes.
If I was able to get a CS62 I would have jumped, the 56 and 62 are different saws, better built and more power.
Saying that the 152 is no slouch and runs good for what it is, it is also lighter than the other two and more nimble for limbing etc.
Horses for courses, if you need the extra grunt buy the 62 or if the 52 is all you need get that.
The 56 is kind of inbetween and I would go either 62 or 52.

A lot of people overlook the CS56 because it's the same weight as the CS62 but less power. But it has very close to the same (true) weight and power as a Husky 359. I put a Sugihara bar on my CS56 and now it's more than light enough. Specs don't cut wood, saws do.

If I told my wife once, I have told her a thousand times, size does not matter.

Is this one of those Italian Deeres I've been reading about? Nice lookin' saw

Yes it is. I almost jumped for the CS71 but I am glad I came to my senses. I don't need a saw that big. With the CS62 being more popular, it seems to demand about $100 more, something that would have over-stretched the budget. I think this was an excellent trade off, great power, balances well with the 20" bar and reasonable cost for a new metal bodied saw from a reputable if somewhat obscure manufacturer. The fact that we had two indestructible Olympyks when I was younger may have swayed my decision. The lucky fact that some of the Homelite bars available locally fit up just fine is a bonus.

Latest posts

Back