Flawless chainsaw models only

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have very few problems with any of the saws in my list.

Even my oldest saw which is a Husqvarna 480CD that I bought new in 1980 still runs as good today as the day it was purchased. The only parts it's ever required were a new tank vent, ignition switch, and I had to braze the little lever on the Tillotson carb to the shaft because it developed some play after 30 years or so of hard use.

My two "go to" saws are the Echo CS-590 and CS-370. I've been running the dog living piss out of both of them for quite a few years now with zero issues anyplace. The only thing I've had to replace on the CS-590 was the original laminated bar. I've lost count of how many chains I've worn out for the CS-370 but it's been a bunch of them. It is a dead solid reliable piece of equipment and I like it so much I bought one for my son-in-law a couple of years ago when they bought a house with seven acres and need to do some cutting from time to time......
My CS-370 is an older aluminum handled, made in Japan model. Can’t kill it.

My CS-490 is only 5 years old, but has worked hard.
Just replace air filter yearly.
Worn out many chains and a few bars.

I liked it so much, bought a cs-620P as the trees I take down got larger.

There’s a lot of echo in this thread…says a lot.

Also nice to see a lot of people with a lot of flawless saws. Sometimes when looking through this forum and others it can seem like all saws are wank 😂
I’ve found that good maintenance and the right usage will make just about any good saw mast a long long time. Even my jacked up chinkenesse 288 and 372

10-4. Just curious. I’ve got a new 395. It’s cut a lot of wood but doesn’t have much time on it. I’ve run a few of the 3 series husqys and they’ve all seemed like solid designs. My kind of saws.
3 series husky’s are my favorite saws. 90% of my collection is 3 series.

It's hard for me to consider any saw as completely flawless. I like my Stihl 044's and 066, but air filtration leaves a lot to be desired on the older Stihls.

I'd consider the 3-series Huskies to be the closest things to flawless saws. Even then, bar nuts are a minor annoyance on wrap-handled Huskies. Also, I've had to replace the oiler on my 372.

The 200T might be a candidate for an almost flawless saw. It gets a lot of hate, but I really like my 201tcm. I've only owned it for about a year, but it's been flawless so far.

I have a pair of 49's that are currently being used as my back-up saws. One I bought new in '78, the other used in the mid eighties. Other than coil failure, I never had an issue that was other than normal ware, or something that I did. Got a parts 49 back in the eighties for $25 that is almost gone. One of those 49's is going to get a OEM NEW top end in the next couple of weeks when I have time. My primary is a 353 with a 346 top end. Great saw but I still love the 49 twins.

"Redmax" are prolly not popular saws in the Americas, but my goto and never let me down saw is a Zenoah G455 (the model that most Chinese rip-offs were based on for a long time). Well designed, well balanced, light weight and just never ever not runs. Paid 50€ for it some 8 years ago or so.

Other than that my Husky 288xpg just keeps on milling with just lazy cleaning and maintenance - my Jred 920 with mostly the same engine has needed some work though, so mileage may vary. Got all my saws 2nd hand, so previous ownership may have influenced my results too ...

It's hard for me to consider any saw as completely flawless. I like my Stihl 044's and 066, but air filtration leaves a lot to be desired on the older Stihls.

I'd consider the 3-series Huskies to be the closest things to flawless saws. Even then, bar nuts are a minor annoyance on wrap-handled Huskies. Also, I've had to replace the oiler on my 372.

The 200T might be a candidate for an almost flawless saw. It gets a lot of hate, but I really like my 201tcm. I've only owned it for about a year, but it's been flawless so far.
To me relatively poor air filter performance is not so much an issue. My 500i does an ok job of it (could be better of course) but it absolutely has not caused the saw a problem. Solid hard use for over two years now and the piston and cylinder (the parts I can see anyway) look almost like new. I am sure people will argue but even the most expensive chainsaws are far from delicate precision instruments…they can eat a bit of saw dust and not fall apart. Wood chips etc a different story but a bit of saw dust I don’t think is a major problem. Obvs better to eat none…

To me relatively poor air filter performance is not so much an issue. My 500i does an ok job of it (could be better of course) but it absolutely has not caused the saw a problem. Solid hard use for over two years now and the piston and cylinder (the parts I can see anyway) look almost like new. I am sure people will argue but even the most expensive chainsaws are far from delicate precision instruments…they can eat a bit of saw dust and not fall apart. Wood chips etc a different story but a bit of saw dust I don’t think is a major problem. Obvs better to eat none…
For me, I'm not so worried about stuff getting past the filter, it's just how quickly the filter gets dirty. The air-injected Huskies go for a long time in between filter intervals. The 0-series Stihls are particularly bad for this, I run Max-flows on them partly for this reason. My current job is cutting down large burned/dead fir trees, these are extra dusty and clog up Stihl HD2 filters in a hurry.

What saws have you run hard that have given you ZERO reliability/build problems in 2+ years?

I have run more saws than I can remember, but in that category I can include: -
3 x Stihl Ms200t
1 x Dolmar PS52
1 x Stihl 500i
1 x Stihl 084
I have run several Makita, Jonsered and Echo but none make the list.
I have not run any Husqvarna for long enough to know.
The saw I had the highest hopes for but ended up being sold on at a loss was a Makita 7901 with the ****** flooding carb arse ache
Thats 6 grand in saws!

My MS261 and MS461 have been very reliable saws for me and with various length bars have met my needs.

The MS271 I had before the MS261 was also a very reliable saw. I had completely worn the paint off the bar but had kept it filed and cleaned and used a groove tightener on it so it still performed well. When the clutch drum spur gear wore out I threw a new drum and clutch in it... not that it needed a clutch but it was cheap so I did it anyway.

If I ever wrecked one of these saws or it was stolen I'd replace it with the latest comparable model.

I bought my first husky at an auction. Old 257. It has been great and trouble free for years of cutting lots of firewood and few jobs. I have since got another 257 that I turned into 262, 359, 353 and a 372xp. Still do not go anywhere without the 257.

Latest posts

Back