Flies on Catalpa Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fancyfrancie

Reaction score
Hi My catalpa tree is covered in flies (the regular kind), and there might be a slight amount of sappiness on the leaves, but not a huge amount. Do you know what why this is happening?
Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated, it is a young tree and I want to keep it healthy. Could the hostas around the base of the tree, be causing this problem? Last year I did see some earwigs attempting to boar into the bark at the base, but this year I have only seen ants at the base.
Thanks so much,
Fancyfrancie!

Glad you said the regular kind. I thought maybe a neighbor was practicing fly casting and kept getting snagged! LOL

Had the same problem this Spring on a couple hybiscus on my deck - covered with small green flies, then a couple weeks later, gone. Maybe a regional hatch? Don't know if they will hurt the tree (maybe they carry an infection?) but it may indicate some other malady in the tree that attracted them. Sorry I can't offer more.

Latest posts

Back