Flipline: with wire core or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mig

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi

I would like to ask what type of flipline you usually use. With wire core or without it? Pros and cons?

Thanks

Here's my 2 cents, probably many different opinions on this.

I have a 5/8 yale wire core. Great when climbing with gaffs and flipping up a straight spar. Also when chunking wood off the spar, sturdy, stiff, and a little saw protection. I say stiff cause it's more likely to lay straight around the tree and not get hung up on every little thing. It's nice when you are making big cuts around it.

Rope is great for positioning in the canopy or climbing around limbs because it will form to the shape its around effortlessly. Also it is lighter, and seems easier to handle in these situations.

I have them both and prefer each in different applications.

I like the secure feeling I get with the wire core. It is stiffer and easier to flip IMO. When I climb I use both. (Can go around limb and still be tied in). Just feel safer leaning against the wire core though.

thanks all for replies

I think I wil be feel more safe with a wire core flipline too.

I always have two lanyards on my saddle one on each side, they never come off. One wirecore one not .Yale Maxi Flip wirecore is the only one to use[best splicing]. Both my lanyard are 5/8" with Macrograbs [easier to handle] attached with stainless twist clevises.

Willard.

i use a wire core.

the weight helps.

i worked with treemds last week and he uses non wire.seems to work for him.i like the non wire for tie ins but i'd need to use one more to know if i like it for flipping.

1994 - two years after starting my tree service company...

I'm climbing a cottonwood for removal with spikes and flipline (non-wire-core). I'm chunking down wood in record time and working about 35' off the ground. I go to adjust my flipline after a routine cut and notice that only one tiny strand of material is all that's holding me after I apparently knicked the line with my 14" bar on the notch cut.

After composing myself and reattaching with a second lanyard, I look down and notice that I'm working right above a bunch of small spear-like beaver stumps. Had one more thread been cut, I wouldn't be typing this today. That evening, I ordered a wire-core flipline and will never use anything else again. Don't think it could happen to you? Neither did I but, I almost became a statistic that day. Novice or seasoned pro, why take the chance...?

Wirecore flipline with micro grab for me. I also have a double ended lanyard that I use sometimes. I prefer the wirecore for the extra security and it flips easily over knots too.

thanks all for replies

I think I wil be feel more safe with a wire core flipline too.

I've said it before and i'll say it again-if you can't control your saw well enough to avoid cutting a flipline, you better stay out of the trees. I've seen too many people become way to complacent just because they have a wirecore.

I work for a power company and I can tell you that if you flip a rope on to a high voltage line wire core or not you are in deep dodo. ONLY tested and designed equipment are non conductivity. Any dirt ,moisture,sap or oil will increase the conductivity of the rope. The rope may limit the amount of voltage but enough will get through to wreck your day. The OHSA standards for minimum approach distance is 15 feet.

I have a technical diploma in Electrical Power Distribution, and worked as a lineman for a while until we started our own businiess. Anyway, I saw my dad throw his climbing line over a phase of 7200V and pull it back off like nothing happened.

I was on the ground and yelled at him to watch the power lines, he chucks his climbing line through a crotch and onto the power. I couldn't believe it, but he pulled it off and tied in like nothing happened.

He used to do line clearance and also ran his own crew, he said as long as the rope is clean and not wet you are alright. He is a little crazy and I would not recomend this, but I did see it done.

3/4 wire core for me. Both actually. One fails, you have another. And to beowolf, I understand where you're coming from with the control and all but one slip and you're all done. we all make mistakes.

I always have two lanyards on my saddle one on each side, they never come off. One wirecore one not .Yale Maxi Flip wirecore is the only one to use[best splicing]. Both my lanyard are 5/8" with Macrograbs [easier to handle] attached with stainless twist clevises.

Willard.

X2, Exact same set up I use.

Back