Flippy cap dysfunction --- not fixed by a new cap. Ever see this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brages

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi folks.

Was looking at my dad's ms260 the other day, put a new spring clip in it for the master control lever. Woudn't you know it, that clip didn't work right until I bent around on it! The 026/260 has to have the worst MCL design Stihl ever invented! Anyway...

This saw has flippy caps. The way flippy caps work, as far as I can tell, is that they have a shank with 3 bayonet-style lugs and a collar with an O-ring.

The way they are supposed to work is that the initial turn of the cap seats the lugs into the mating lugs on the tank, then after the lugs are engaged, a cam in the cap tightens the O-ring on down.

Well, for whatever reason, my dad's saw cap doesn't want to engage the lugs. If you just put the cap on normally, all that happens is you get the O-ring tightening action, but the lugs never lock in at all. He's figured out how to do it -- by using the tip of an awl in the small holes under the flip handle, he can push the shank into full lug engagement, then turn the flip handle to tighten up the O-ring and get the proper final position.

I looked all over the tank and cap and couldn't see any reason why it's not working right... no errant wood chips or sawdust :monkey:

I am familiar with proper flippy operation and used to be a fan of them.

ive had this happen as well,i put a new cap on and it was fixed. its usually just a worn out cap

Last edited:
I am having trouble with my gas cap on my 440 too. I cross threaded it one time and finally noticed it as the gas was soaking into the front of my pants.. not a good feeling by the way! Well now it leaks and I haven't got to town yet to buy another one. I thought the flippies were pretty neat when I got my 290, but anymore, I'll take the older style caps any day!:bowdown:

They get really picky, usually if the wrong part engages first just back it up that quarter turn and push down, then it'll work right. Sometimes I have to push different angles and what not too. :sucks:

Latest posts

Back