Flue Cleaning Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Venditto

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Should I burn my powdered creosote?
It's that time of year again here in New York State. I did my flue clean routine today . . . working from the roof with the poles etc. Inside, I always place a small cardboard box inside the stove centered under the flue. After running the brushes up and down, I have about 3/4 gallon (like a paint can) of dark black ash. Most years I discard it. A few times, I was lazy and just let it fall inside the wood box and started my next fire on top of it.

What are your feelings on this? Burn it or toss it? The stuff obviously burns, so I kinda feel guilty tossing it. I haven't noticed any ill effects from it.

I have a Lopi Revere fireplace insert here in Westchester County. It's ducted thru a masonry chimney via 6" SS flex liner. I burn from ~Oct - March. I never really counted, but I guess I burn at least 3 cords/year. I don't buy wood and my stacks aren't classic 4x4x8. Anyway, each year when I go to clean the flue, I note an accumulation of black crusty material about 1/2" thick which looks like it's there for good. Not so though! The stuff disintegrates as soon as I touch it, falling down the flue and accumulating in the stove. It looks like black sugar(if there ever was such a thing).

Burn it up! Just don't let any of the smoke roll out the door as it does stink.

I usually only burn about 1 cord of fire wood a season during the shoulder seasons, but I let mine fall into the stove and burn it up there.
Hardly any ash comes out of my chimney though, maybe four cups. I'd just let it burn up.

Latest posts

Back