Flywheel Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanH

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have to remove a flywheel from a Poulan 31. Is there a trick to this? There isn't enough room for my gear puller to get under the flywheel (less than 1/8" between flywheel and housing). Perhaps I need a different puller? I tried pressure via 4 screwdrivers evenly spaced but didn't want to force it too much. I have removed the starter wheel and seems like its should be clear to come off. I want to make sure I got everthing off before I start getting forceful.

Also anyone have a good place to order parts? Other than a carb rebuild I have not been able to locate too much. Does it take a std poulan bar?

Thanks

Use the two tapped holes where the starter pawls screw into the flywheel. Drill 2 holes in a piece of stoudt flat iron the distance of the two pawl holes for 2 clearence bolts then tap the center hole to use a bolt to turn into the crank to pull the flywheel off...Bob

The fly wheel doesn't have any threaded holes. It does have 4 holes on the outside edge but they are not deep nor are they threaded. My neighbor and I tried to pry while whacking it with a lead hammer and still no luck. It did seem to help though in that it now sparks. It may have had some gunk that was preventing it from sparking. I ended up leaving it on as I have spark for now.

I will say this and I hope people will hear this. I have used the screwdriver and mallet method, yes it work but the magnets in the the fly probably don't care for it. there are a couple of things that will degauss a magnet ( loose its magnet strength) One is sticking a ferrous object near or on the magnet and the other is physical shock. The screwdriver and hammer doesn't sound like such a good idea now huh? however the ignition system in a chainsaw is not a precise circuit will the lose of gauss change anything? not from what I have seen.

the bottom line is it is running, leave it alone until it causes a problem.

buck

Back