"Foaming" post oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Neaves

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I noticed that one of my post oaks have many areas were it appears to be "foaming". I looked closer and there were all kinds of small flies and pin-worms in and around the foam. Does anyone have an idead what this is and with what to treat it?

Sounds like a case of slime flux to me. Slime flux is a soil bacteria, common everywhere. It can infect or grow in any tree that has been wounded somehow from pruning cuts, wind damage, weedeater scrapes, etc. Most of the stuff I've read indicates it really does'nt hurt the tree in & of itself, except in the weird condition where the foam builds up pressure inside a limb, etc & kinda blows up/breaks the limb. It feeds off the sugars available in the tree. I can't help but believe it opens the door for other infections though & sure would seem to keep a wound from healing properly. There is no cure for it, the best you can do is wash the affected area down regularly to remove the ooze, which stinks, and upon which the other bugs you're seeing feed on. I've known people to try putting bleach in a hose-end sprayer to combat it...can't say it does'nt work to reduce the growth of the bacteria, but who knows how bad spraying a bleach/water solution on your tree is either? Prevention is the recommended key by avoiding wounds & pruning when bacteria are dormant, aka, winter.

Chris,
I think you may have spittlebugs. Slime flux usually appears only on one or maybe two places on the trunk, not in "many" places as you said. Spittlebugs will cover themselves with a foamy substance for protection. Natural predators usually keep them under control, but you can use insecticidal soap or horticultural oils for better control. Look in the foam and see if you can find the black-headed nymphs.

Forgot about spittlebugs...and showing my prejudice (grin)... I see tons of elms with slime flux, hardly ever spittles here in NM. Bad & multilpe old pruning wounds, damage from limb stripping from early snowstorms or wind...its on most of them and in multiple sites on the same tree....hope for the spittlebugs, those ya can treat :)

I have found a few more spots on another tree in the same area. The SLime Flux sounds correct. There were many flies around the bubling ooze. I have treated the tree with some incecticide to prevent anything "living" there. I washed the trees down with water the last couple of days. The trees still look healthy, but I wanted to get moving if there is something I can do to save the trees. As far as spittlebugs, I cut the bark back to the layer right under it and there is no bug or hole. It just bubbles up in the area. There seems to be about 7 places where the bark has darkened because of the ooze. Any other suggestions?

Okay, its slime flux, aka wetwood. There is not a lot you can do to "treat" this bacterial infection. I would not recommend the bleach/water thing. And definitely do not install drain tubes to relieve pressure. Slime flux is one of those good/bad things in that its bad that the tree has a bacterial infection, but its good because the slime flux actually prolongs the life of the tree. Try to keep the tree healthy by pruning out dead limbs and watering if needed.

I'm not debating the point, actually I'm just curious..how does wetwood extend the life of a tree?? Always lookin to learn:)

The wetwood activity raises the pH and moisture content of the infected wood. This provides a poor environment for the growth of decay-causing fungi which would normally invade and break down the wounded wood fibers. By trying to dry out or destroy the wetwood bacteria, you allow these fungi to thrive and the decay process is accelerated. The key is to prevent wounds that allow the wetwood to start.

Originally posted by Treebeard
I'm not debating the point, actually I'm just curious..how does wetwood extend the life of a tree?? Always lookin to learn:)

By creating anaerobic conditions that pathogens don't like.

Then there is the theory of population pressure, you have so much surface area to populate, so the benign micros take up all the room and the nasties cannot find a place to stay. The old rub a little dirt in it takes on new meaning. I've heard that some studies have shown this to be benificial. So the next time you rub dirt on a tear, you can say you doing it to protect the tree:angel:

Latest posts

Back