Foggysail or Sagenspezi?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadiver5

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've finally begun a repair on my Stihl 056. I bought this saw new in the early 80's and the Bosch ignition went out about 3 years ago. In that time I've considered different fixes. I would have preferred installing points however I don't have the correct crankshaft for that. There have been several NOS Bosch ignitions that have popped up on Ebay however the same issue may crop up quickly and they are all very expensive so I tend to lean away from that. The Sagenspezi ignition keeps the electronics in the "hotbox" just like the original and the Foggysail repair seems a little funky. To that end is there anyone out there who have performed both the Sagenspezi and Foggysail repairs and is there one you prefer over the other and if so why? BTW I already have the parts for the Foggysail fix so sourcing parts for that isn't an issue.

Kevin

For anyone interested after receiving a message from av8or3 I decided to go ahead with the Foggysail Fix. I've got it to the point of waiting for the repotting of the ignition to set up so I can test it. I'll let you know how it goes.

OK when I checked for spark I found none, I took the saw back apart and found the Kill Switch wire was a problem so I clipped it off and left a section under the ignition incase I wanted to reconnect to it again and reassembled the saw. Still no spark so I took it apart again and found that somehow I pinched the remaining section of kill switch wire under the ignition so I clipped it completely off and reassembled the saw and Voila Spark. I'll take it out Friday and put about 5 hours of cutting on it to see how it holds up.

I just had an idea. If you’re pleased with the way the saw runs, pop that flywheel off and get your heat gun. Soften up the potting around the ground wire and see if you can dig out enough wire, or locate the trace, and solder in a new one. Now you’re back to new. You don’t even really have to remove the module from the saw.

Update: I performed the Foggysail Fix earlier in the week and I took it out to test it yesterday. I ran the saw for 6 hours cutting firewood from 3 foot diameter Douglas Fir with equal to or better than new performance. Thanks so much for the help.

Back