footlocking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know this is going to sound stupid... but. When they were showing us how to footlock in school it was the right foot which made the lock on top of the left foot. That is the only way I have ever seen it done. Does anybody make the lock with the left foot on the right foot?

I am a right over left, but I've seen lots of guys do it left over right. Your body is symetrical, it doesn't matter what foot goes on top, it's just personal preference.

Just like a little kid picking up the crayon for the first time with either his right or left hand, I put my right foot on top the first time and never loked back.

:p

It's one of those "whatever floats yer boat" things. I go left over right.

My left foot reaches under my right foot, scoops up the rope, brings it to the top of my right foot where the left foot then smashed the rope onto my right foot, thus giving me my lock.

In other words, I am a left over right.

love
nick

For what it's worth, I'm right handed.

Last edited:
I am just trying to start dont know which way is best yet. Hopefully soon ill be able to footlock faster than any body else.;)

Ya'll probably won't believe this, but I've never footlocked in my life. It looks kinda neat, I just don't see any reason for doing it. I GUESS its for ascending straight up into the canopy, well away from the trunk, but whaddoiknow.

I suppose it would be nifty for trimming pines when the first limb is way, way up there. Or something like that. It seems easier to just walk up the trunk via bodythrusting.

But I also the same wacky guy that uses a chainsaw to trim with. Go figure. :p

I have no clue what over what. If this makes it clear. Right foot first.

I stand on my left before going up.

MB - check out the footlocking. I don't care who is the one body thrusting, but I would say ANY efficient footlocker would be on the ground cleaning his/her handsaw while a body thruster is still trying to get in the tree - especially if they are hauling a saw.

It will change the way you see tree work if you learn it.

If you can't footlock, ask others here about alternative methods.

That or just stick with body thrusting and your ladder.:D

I can only see the use for it in extended ascents. I have no difficulty whatsoever getting into the canopys of the trees around here. I'm sure it has its place. After all, ya'll are doing it, it MUST be right. RIGHT?

This is the tricky part MB. Finding someone to learn from in your area. I assume there aren't many faster than you in Alexandria;)

I had the same problem too. I work with guy that do unsecured from Mexico. That is not what I wanted to learn. I got help from this site and practiced daily in my backyard.

Keith Babberney was also a big help. (b*zz)

Akward as all get out at first, but great once you get it down.

It is hard to imagine at first that you would use it except for long pitches.

I use it all the time!! Time saver!! Not to mention, is saves energy so after work I can go to the gym.

If ya just can't FL that way, get a Pantin - are you really trying Brian - sure you can get a lock or 2? Maybe too many years old school? I am still new to it all - I just started climbing in '98:eek:

I guess I would just have to see it applied to a situation I encounter to fully understand the real benefits of it.

I AM interested in it! It just looks to me like something I would hardly ever use.

Kinda like my speed line kit. I may go a year before I need it, but when I need it, I REALLY need it. Ya know? :)

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
I guess I would just have to see it applied to a situation I encounter to fully understand the real benefits of it.

Kinda like my speed line kit. I may go a year before I need it, but when I need it, I REALLY need it. Ya know? :)

If you saw it, it is handy - daily tool ;)

It will change the way you look at tree work

M B

If you do a lot of body thrusting, which requires a lot of arm strength which you probaly already have, try single line footlocking.

Get your TIP as you normally would, only don't get your rope right next to the main stem, just out away from it a little ways. Set up your climbing hitch with pulley to mind the slack. Then just pull yourself up the rope and FL the tail with your feet to take up the slack. Once you get a feel on how to get a bite on the rope with your feet, you can alternate between your arms and your legs. I guarantee you will never go back to body thrusting which is much more exhausting on the body, especially the arms.

Single line FL isn't as fast as Dbl. line but there are are pro's and con's to both methods. Single line works best about mid- way between the ground and your tie in point. You have to deal with the stretch in the rope when you start out. If I use this method I take a couple pulls on the rope then start to FL.

I'm Right over Left if any one is keeping score.

Re footlocking, are you saying I can tie-in using the traditional climbing method and simply footlock instead of body-thrust?

I guess I'm confused by the "single line" and "double line" distinction. What do you mean by "single line"? What do you mean by "double line"? Is the traditional method I use called a single or a double? And does the foot lock work with the traditional climbing method?

Latest posts

Back