? for those who designed their home for wood heat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erock

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here's my situation,
I'm just renting an old house at the moment but the time will come to build my own place. I am a commercial carpenter and an idea ran across my mind one day. Instead of building a masonry chimney I was thinking if I were to build a shaft out of heavy gauge studs and double or maybe even triple layer 5/8 rock. The shaft would go from the basement (figure stove will be down there) all the way to the roof. all flammable material (joists, plywood for base floor and the like) would not go through. Rock butt seams would be staggered and the rip seams would be log cabined or zig zagged if that makes better sense. It makes sense to me cause thats what we have to do to fire walls. It would be just steel and rock the whole way up and on top of that I'd use insulated pipe of course but I want to protect my house as much as possible just in case something terrible happens. I think it would be easy enough to build and will hopefully provide some defense in case of a chimney fire.

What do you folks think?

Why not add a sprinkler system while you're at it? :)

I'm just teasing a little. There's nothing wrong with being extra cautious about what'd happen with a stack fire.

"On top of that I'd use insulated pipe"

Does that mean only the top section would be insulated, or would the entire chimney be of insulated pipe?

As long as the entire chimney is insulated pipe, and you build some good type of access to periodically take a look and inspect it, I don't see a problem. I'd probably say use steel studs to frame it too ;)

Sheetrock is not fire resistant. Go with cement board. A sprinkler system in the chimney chase would have saved a house near here a few years ago. the chase was lined with sheetrock.
I have a sprinkler system in my house. every room has at least one head. It is a dry system so now worries about freeze ups.

Sheetrock is not fire resistant. Go with cement board. A sprinkler system in the chimney chase would have saved a house near here a few years ago. the chase was lined with sheetrock.
I have a sprinkler system in my house. every room has at least one head. It is a dry system so now worries about freeze ups.

Actually, it is. It's part of our code that attached garages have to have at least 5/8 sheet rock and be completely mudded (sealed) on common walls. Tuck under garages have to have two layers on the ceiling and have to have staggered joints.

The water contained within the cement bond is actually a passive fire barrier and prevents heat transfer until it's been vaporized.

Yep, it's called a 'fire-rated' system. If I remember right a single layer of 5/8" firecode drywall is rated at one half hour. Double layer would be 1 hour, etc.
All in all, a pretty good idea IME considering the minimal cost vs benefit.

No harm in doing something like that but remember if it was necessary in general dont you think insurance companies would be all over it..
Double wall pipe that is well maintained is quite standard for good reason... But on the other hand I have no problem with overbuilt when it comes to fireplaces...

It wouldn't be fire proof but like mentioned above, provide a barrier to at least buy a little time. Cement board would be another idea but I think I could achieve the same effect with lighter and cheaper 5/8 rock. I had planned on using steel studs. Thats what I meant by heavy gauge so it wouldn't melt or at least melt right away ha. I'm not too worried about such an event happening as I maintain everything I own very well. Its a just in case sorta thing. Not sure how code is regarding stove pipe but I'm thinking I can use "single wall"? stove pipe until I hit the basement ceiling and from then on through the shaft and out the roof use the insulated double wall or whatever is best. Still have some research to do on the stove pipe. This will be a few years away yet but plans run in my head so I have time to make changes and decide what I'd like.

A big benefit of multi-wall, especially in the chimney, is that it's at least a little bit insulated so it heats up quicker and provides a better draft from a cold stove.

Try to find how these "tests" are conducted. You won't find much. Do your own test, stand a piece of sheet rock next to an open fire and see how long it lasts. Most of the information I have found starts out "if a standard sheet rock resists burning for 30 min fire code sheet rock should last 59 and 1/2 min" but in my experience as a fireman even code rated sheet rock doesn't last 15 min in a real fire.

If I were to design a home for wood heat it would all focus around a 'Russian' or 'masonry' type.

I mean like 15-20 ton of stone.

I'd just run a Stainless insulated chimney up through, chase it, put some bifold doors in the chase if you want access for some reason. I wouldn't do any masonary work at all, or anything more elaborate than an ordinary chase. Easy. That's served us very well for 18 years now.

I would think more about the heat distribution system & wood handling aspects than the chimney. If in a cold climate, nothing beats a zoned hot water system for comfort.

I come from a family of masons...so thats all I know..and all I trust . You dont need anything fancy by the sounds of it . Just a straight stack . No frills..no thrills ! Simple...long lasting . Done deal :)

I like your approach, I don't think I ever will have another masonry chimney built, insulated metal in a fire protected chase sounds like the best option. Then again there is a lot of be said for putting the extra money spent on this chase into going to a super insulated house and reducing the heating load.

Yes Sir,

If ever I designed a house, it would all center around one of those.

I've been enthralled with that concept since seeing it many years back.

Them people who live up by the Arctic Circle have a pretty good handle on how to keep warm eh?

Back