For those who doubt the power of the Dremel.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I did this, 28" chain, took me all of 5, maybe 7 minutes to turn this into a Granberg style chain.

attachment.php

A picture of the ONE wheel I used to slice off the tops, and a new one sitting next to it. You can see almost no wear on the wheel I used.

attachment.php

Here is my weapon of choice. The flex shaft makes it real easy.

attachment.php

I know I still need to take care of the rakers. The clearing cutters are already .030. Just need to take the slicers down to .040 and itll be ready to go!

I don't have those wheels, just the brittle little brown ones that wear out fast...but I have lots of them. Have to get some of those, going to try the same thing...one of these days.

Mark

Yeah, thats just a marker tooth Brandon. That way I don't cut off the wrong tooth.

Adrpk, yes, I cut the tooth off, no grinding. I figured it would keep the heating of the metal up down to minimum, and probably be faster.

I was surprised that cut-off wheel didn't wear more than it did. I'm using that new quick change deal. The cut-off wheels are bigger, and supposed to last longer.

Mark, I have been wanting to do this for awhile. The only thing holding me back was hearing about how long it takes to modify the chain. Just cutting the tops off took maybe 5 seconds per tooth. This is one of the Ripping chains from Baileys. I tested on a short section of RS chain I had laying around, that took about 7 seconds to get through the top.

Im gonna test this one out, and if I notice any improvements, all my ripping chains will get the treatment.

Thanks for that info Casey, I was one of the doubters. I thought it would take a lot longer than 7 seconds to cut off a top plate, and from my past experience with my own Dremel, didn't think the little wheel would last long. My cutoff wheel didn't look exactly like the ones you have in the pic though.

Let us know if it mills wood any better.

Woodshop, its a new type of wheel and mandrel from Dremel. No tools needed to change, and the wheels are bigger, and supposed to last 2 to 3 times longer.

I dont think the normal wheels would last very long. Based on past experiences with them, they either disintegrate, or wear down faster than you can count to 3.

CaseyForrest said:
Woodshop, its a new type of wheel and mandrel from Dremel. No tools needed to change, and the wheels are bigger, and supposed to last 2 to 3 times longer.
... OK, something new to go out and buy... I love spending money in the shop:rockn:

CaseyForrest said:
Mark, I have been wanting to do this for awhile. The only thing holding me back was hearing about how long it takes to modify the chain. Just cutting the tops off took maybe 5 seconds per tooth. This is one of the Ripping chains from Baileys. I tested on a short section of RS chain I had laying around, that took about 7 seconds to get through the top.

Im gonna test this one out, and if I notice any improvements, all my ripping chains will get the treatment.

I want to know what you find out. PM me if you don't mind.

You are right about the little discs, it would take about one disc per tooth, plus ones that shatter.

Mark

Chain

Casey,

That looks awsome! I wanted to try that but the guys with grinders all want a bunch of $ to cut the tops off. Granberg chains are 3X of Baileys ripping chains. I do not understand your reference to 20 and 30 degrees though. My paper on granberg says 20 degrees on the scoring cutters and 0 degrees on the clearance cutters.

hautions11 said:
Casey,

That looks awsome! I wanted to try that but the guys with grinders all want a bunch of $ to cut the tops off. Granberg chains are 3X of Baileys ripping chains. I do not understand your reference to 20 and 30 degrees though. My paper on granberg says 20 degrees on the scoring cutters and 0 degrees on the clearance cutters.

I think you are confusing my sharpening angles with raker depths. I run all my chains at .030 on the rakers, so all I have to do is take the scoring rakers down to .040, and the chain will be ready to go..

I wonder if dremel makes a sharpening attachment that you could use to regrind or sharpen the cutters with?

Grinding

I got ya! After I looked at all the dimensions on Granbergs sketch I saw the heigths you were talking about. Looks great Casey. I can't wait to try it. I have some real thin wheels for my air motor. I may try that tonight!:blob2:

Air Motor

I just went to the garage and tried my air motor on the chain to replicate the Granberg style cut. It worked Great! 4-5 seconds per cut. It left a burr that came off with finger preasure. I have a chain cut 0 degrees and 20 degrees just like Granberg, I'll remove the tops of the scoring cutters and see how it goes. This is way cool!!!!!!!!!!!

airmotor.jpg

hautions11 said:
I just went to the garage and tried my air motor on the chain to replicate the Granberg style cut. It worked Great! 4-5 seconds per cut. It left a burr that came off with finger preasure. I have a chain cut 0 degrees and 20 degrees just like Granberg, I'll remove the tops of the scoring cutters and see how it goes. This is way cool!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got one too, was worried a bit more about heat, but I guess that the cut isn't too much wider than the Dremel. Gives my little air compressor a workout.

Mark

Wow, it looks like I may have started the latest AS ripping chain fad!:hmm3grin2orange: Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to put mine in wood yet. Got my saw back but something else reared it's ugly head.:buttkick:(<- that's me on the left) Story of my freakin' life.:angry: No milling in almost 2 months. The itch has flared into a rash and I aint got no arms to scratch it!:angry2:

Latest posts

Back