For those who doubt the power of the Dremel.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, did it to another chain this afternoon.

Took a Stihl, RS 28" loop. Ill post a pic later of the same wheel I used on the first chain. It still looks like it hasnt worn any!!!

Anyway, that Stihl steel is a little harder, took about 6-7 seconds per tooth. After I got them cut off, took a diamond wheel for the Dremel, and cleaned and evened up the teeth. Probably took me all of 30 minutes to cut the tops off, grind them smooth and even, and sharpen the correct angles into each cutter. The rakers were already at .035, so I left them alone.

I wanted to mill some today, but ended up working on the playhouse. Tomorrow, I will finish milling the siding, and then its all done.

How long does it take to refile a tooth all the way to say 5 or 10 degrees from what ever your chain came with?

I just give it 5 strokes. No need in fileing the entire cutter to whatever you are going to use it at. You are hitting the working part of the cutter initially, so I just go with it.

Cool,I was just wondering because ive got three new chains coming with my new saw and I would like to convert them to ripping chains simply because I dont have much other use for them right now because my other saws have 3/8 pitch chains. I ordered the saw with .404 pitch sprockets and chains because that is what I am set up with right now and just wanted to keep my ripping bars and chains the same for interchangability.

Lakeside recommends if you are going to take a normal chain and convert it to the granberg style, buy square ground because its ground at 15 degrees. Makes sense. The last one I did was a square ground I bought because I was going to give square a try. To much time to maintain.

I believe the best cutter scenario is going to be RM, or semi-chisel. I think round ground chisel, even filed at 20 and 0 respectively, will dull faster because there is still a distinctive corner.

CaseyForrest said:
Aggie, whatcha got?

Just got my 084 back from Dean. I ran it for about 10 minutes to warm it up and as I was adjusting the carb the ignition lead burned through. It wasn't any thing he did, it was probably the origional lead and it's time was up. I've replaced the lead and I'm trying to get it dialed in again. I haven't made any cuts with it yet but it sounds like a deamon.:chainsaw: :rock:

Rm

Casey,

I am starting with some RM chain. What do you mean, even if you file 0 and 20 that there is an edge that will dull faster? Thanks.

Hautions, I was comparing RM to RS. I was saying, even though you are running short angles, the RS still has a pronounced working corner, and I think it will still dull faster than RM.

Latest posts

Back