For: Treeclimber165

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpikedSupra

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was thinking mre today about my business plan. Since I do lack the experience to do a lot of the big nasty jobs I am going to need to sublet some work and you may be the man for it. We dont have to get into any details now if your interested but keep it in mind for when I get this thing going. We might be able to benefit each other. Let me know your thoughts.

Brian, Just think of the posibilities.... all you will need to supply would be a chainsaw,climbing gear, safety equipment, chipper,chip dump, And of course insurance Sounds like a Deal to me :rolleyes:

As far as I know, in order to sub a job you need both liability and workers comp insurance. Maybe it's just a New York thing ;)

Enough

Alright....whatever. I figured I could help you get more jobs if you were interested but its fine that your not. A simple "No I have plenty of work" would have been fine but it seems that many people on this board including yourself make a point of it to be a prick at any given opportunity. I'm a nice guy and I plan on staying that way but if you want to be rude to someone be rude to your friends if you have any. It seems like such an easy thing to be nice to people but I guess its really difficult for others. I dunno maybe you werent hugged as a kid or something.

DDM....I will have the equipment I need for the jobs. You think I'm really stupid enough to start a tree business without a chainsaw you moron. I know the equipment I need and I dont need to borrow it from you or anyone else.

Well I'm Not sure of that Gump in a Previous Post one of Many You Stated that you Did Not Need Chippers Ect you would Haul the Brush! I Think you Need your Own Forum We could Title It

Forrest Gumps Plan for The Day:

:eek:

Forrest,
It is painfully obvious to everyone here except yourself that good climbers prefer to work with good, EXPERIENCED groundmen. The last thing I need is to pass on guaranteed work to come 'help out' some smartaleck know-it-all with a WHOPPING 2 weeks 'experience' who is gonna tell me how to do my job!

Why don't you just hit the road, and come back without the attitude. Since you refuse to accept the fact that you have earned respect from NO ONE here, Why don't you try any other tree forum in the whole world other than this one. :)

I Feel a Sale of a new Wild thing coming Forrests way.

O btw Forrest Most climbers that i know that subcontract Bring there own Climbing saw. So When i mentioned the Saw i wasnt Being Sarcastic Yet. :D

LMFAO!David I was thinking of Gump's own forum and the wild thing! C'mon Brian, give 'em a chance. I would just give my left n$t to work all day with a guy who quotes himself from an unfinished book. I think he still likes you, you're only a pr!ck, he inferred that I might be a c@#t.:D

Forrest, in all honesty here. Let's just say that Brian did agree to sub for you. You bid a job and get it. You then call Brian in and he does it for less than what you bid it at (he is a sub after all) so he isn't making anywhere near what he should be making. Now he has you to deal with, cause you think you know everything (which trust me, you don't). Let's then say that because you chose the job poorly or bid it out without figuring in for a crane, something gets broken, or somebody gets hurt. You are going to have to pay Brian in cash... which means no paper work. So if something gets broken Brian can just pack up and leave, leaving you with the head-aches. However then you or the customer would sue Brian. Now we haven't even gotten to the issue of if Brian or one of his guys gets hurt. If that happens he is out money for Comp and lost income from that guy. So it's really pretty involved. Keep in mind, when you are cutting grass... it is very possible to do damage. However death and crushing houses is usually very rare. When we as arborists perform services of varying degrees (pruning / removals / cabling / ?) if something falls from aloft and somebody or something is under it the likelyhood of severe injury or severe damage is very high. Please read some of the past threads on damage. I remember just last spring that 1 guy got killed and 1 guy got both of his legs broken. These two incidents were within 1/2 an hour from my house (all back roads)

If I could, I would just delete this thread. It's embarassing. I wonder why I even go here sometimes. Then, I think of the friends I found here and keep returning.

If you guys want to have a war of words, consider that this board is visible to the world, forever. Or until it crashes or something. Why don't you just use something called
email.jpg

Nickrosis

I for one have enjoyed reading the "Gump Series", not nearly as good as the "Beboo Chronicles", but pretty good.

This poor guy thinks he has come up with a plan to be an overnight, successful, business owner, making money hand over fist, offering a service he thinks he knows all about because he is a quick learner. Then, post by post, his dream is stomped out.

He went from a "nice guy", to just another one of us, even calling one of our most esteemed board members a "moron".

Pathetic as the threads have been, there is a lot of good information here about starting a business, as well as some entertainment.

Well I guess one more post and then I'm done with this thread or 4 or whatever it has turned in too. It's become ridiculous in any event but I certainly wouldn't go as far as calling it embarrassing, at least not for the Arboristsite community. I have always been a firm believer in say what you mean and mean what you say.

A guy comes here with an idea and asks for the communities help. Anyone who offered any advice with the slightest tempering of caution or warning was chastised as being negative and unhelpful. He then decides to share some more info about his plan and what he felt to be qualifications, dismissing anyone that wants to be anything but positive.

That further incites riot, and rightly so, because there are a lot of hard working and knowledgable people with loads of practical experience being told that he will succeed regardless of what they say because he is a good businessman etc.

Another thread and now the plan has changed to lawn mowing, which is a better entry level business, but still frought with the same pitfalls. One by one, the "helpful" people have begun to change the tone of their original posts and add caution and doubt. I think it probably has to do with the fact that many of the guys here have good heads on their shoulders and can read and process what the posts say. He wants to invest in a part time business to make some extra cash in a field he has little or no experience in. There seems to be intent for slow long term growth as by his own admission this an exercise in starting a business, not a career track. And that is where the wheels come off the cart, because it makes no sense, as the capital start up, even for something very small will never earn a return on a part time venture.

Help, often comes in the form of constructive critcism. There was no help seeking here, but a request for validation. With that not forthcoming, the self-proclaimed nice guy calls some of us names. I think many truly wish Forrest the best, he just needs to have a realistic plan, that involves cash flow projections, rates of return, etc. or he might be better off leaving his money in the bank.

I know it gets annoying sometimes that we fight back and forth, but contoversy is what we come back for. That and the occasional goat joke. We all have to learn this is a computer and you can't hear tones of voices, etc. I know Treeclimber, and that is just his personality, like it or not. When you come back all mad cause you feel embarrassed (I didn't think anything of his post), it shows weakness. In business, I always want to see confidence out of people. I realize you were trying to be nice. There are probably a few guys out there looking to take you up on your deal. Brian, is not one of them. Just like any venture, try and get as much info as you can. Then proceed, with caution. There are upsides to your idea and many downsides. Good luck, supra, and don't take things so personal and reread Newfie's last paragraph, I like it.

Missed Points

It has been made clear to me after reading these posts that my previous threads were not read very thoroughly. I have explained in a couple of posts the equipment that I would be purchasing and yes it included a climbing saw(Duh!)

I am most certainly not here for the validation of these members. The only approval I need to start this business is my own and I have that. It doesnt matter what anyone on this board says it isnt going to change my mind. I just wanted your expertise.

I am more than open to constructive criticism. Without it no one would ever learn anything. I have listened to your advice and have taken heed to your warnings about the business and the danger of it. I have fully appreciated the time that these members have taken to offer me, a man they dont know that lives in Florida, these extremely helpful tips. I am not here to chastize anyone. Thats not why I came here.

I did not wish to have this turn sour but it was a choice that was out of my hands. The criticism of others is well embraced but not with the rude, condescending, blatant, corrosive, scathing pungent, and cynical responses. YOU(meaning those who participated in such acts) are the reason this went where it did. I held nothing but respect for all members of this board until I started receiving the responses that I did.

You all claim to be professionals, but I have witnessed every bit of unprofessionalism I can stand. Being a professional is more than just being excellent at your job its also a standard of virtue. My father is an attorney and multi-business owner. From him I have obtained a larger business knowledge than should be allowed for a 20 year old to obtain. He may be great at his profession but do you think he would have the respect in his profession that he has if he maliciously abused verbally the upcoming members of the bar? Of course not. He would have no respect and would be known as the real jerk thats not worth talking to. Thats how I am starting to feel about some of these members. He does nothing but share his knowledge with those who seek to learn and thats the way it should be.

Oh, and go ahead and take shots at my book I am writing. But let me ask you, what were you doing at age 20? You werent writing books were you? Now is the age for enlightenment because books hold the key to the knowledge needed to obtain life skills. To read them is noble. To write them is superior.

Lastly, "Words are a series of letters that hold the potential for action but are deemed worthless until action is taken."
This means what I have told you about my plan is surely worthless on paper I will be the first to admit that, but once I take action and make this go, it will be a viable operation and at that point I can come tell you all about it and it will have true meaning.

Now if you'll excuse me I am heading to Orlando to attend Trees Florida 2002. Maybe there I can obtain helpful contacts and arborists that want to share their knowledge with me because I seek to learn.

I'm Forrest Doran and I am opening a tree and lawn service business.

-End-

trees FL

Forrest,I'll be at the climbing class on tues. the 25th. Come talk to me-I started out the same way 22 years ago. Ken Green ISA- Cert. Arborist

Go Forrest. I'll be on other boards for a week....I feel out of water here trying to give our industry a clean image.

Nickrosis

Gentleman, lets clean it up some here. Act like the proffesionals we proffess to be.how ever that is spelled.

Forrest, not having any idea how Brian prices his work, all you could do is tell the customer you know there is a very good arborist in the area you can pu them in touch with.

Maybe if you put your ego in your pocket for a while, you could show him you have some gray mater betwixed your ears and he would be willing to reconcider.

The initial responces to your post were not all that harsh. I will give you your due in that you have finaly realized that you may have aimed your sites to high.

Stick around, tone doewn the juvenile arrogance, take a que from Matt, Nick (who young a$$ knows more about the industry then many others here) and the few other young fellers on the site and accept that those who have been around have some wisdom, if not intelect.

All of us dumb old f@rts are willing to share with those who are willing to lsiten.

Your pal, Thumper

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back