For what it's worth, my Stihl comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4will

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,
I found this site some time ago and have been lurking around and gathering info from you all. I finally decided to get involved to share my recent Stihl experience and share my comparison.

I'm a homeowner DIY type who loves outdoor projects and power equipment. I believe in having the best I can reasonable afford. I also believe in considering doing all of my projects myself but am willing to pay for help when necessary. I'm super picky about the maintenance of my equipment in hopes that my higher end purchases will last me for years (thus another way to justify the cost).

That being said, a little over three years ago I bought a 290 with an 18inch bar to use for recapturing our land and yard from the previous owners. I've felled about 40 trees and used the saw for storm clean up with my fire department and on my property as well as general chainsaw work for cleaning up land.

I was pleased with the saw until a few months ago it began stalling out. I was heartbroken and frustrated when I took it to the shop and found out that the piston had scars and basically the parts would cost me as much as replacing the saw.

I emailed Stihl and after a couple of communications they offered to pay for parts. I tested Stihl's customer service and they came through just as they do with the quality of their equipment. I decided to upgraded.

So here's my comparison.

I bought a 361 with a 20 inch bar after much personal debate and lots of reading and asking questions.

I got to use the 361 all day this past weekend (felling and cleaning). I learned that I should have bought one a 361 to start.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my 290 and was very proud of it but for anyone who is having concerns about what to buy let me offer my input. I looked at the saws in between the 290 and the 361 but it didn't make sense to spend money on anything in between the two.

The vibration reduction built into the 361 does what my local salesperson said it would -- reduced fatigue at the end of the day and made the saw easier to use.

The larger fuel capacity allowed me to work longer so I didn't have to make the frustrating "I'm almost done with this part" stop.

The power difference is beyond noticeable. I know the chain on this saw cuts faster than the one on my 290 but the power when bucking larger logs or cutting off stumps is amazing.

For the non-professionals I'd like to confirm that the warnings about kickback with the more aggressive chains are not bull. I did notice more of a tendancy to try to kick back and to "bounce" around if I hit small branches without being at full throttle.

The tradeoff of the chain is worth it, the user just has to be more careful.

The balance of the 361 is better. I didn't notice the gain of overall weight.

The saw starts easier (I'm comparing that to new not the last few months with the damaged 290) because of the compression relief feature.

I noticed that the 361 idled easier at strange angles (on it's side or when cutting branches) which made it easier to cut without having throttle up the saw as I was moving it into position. What I'm trying to say is that I could get the saw close to the branch or log then throttle up as opposed to doing that with my 290 when I would have to give it a little gas to keep it idling in order to get it in position. I was told that the carbs were different and I seemed to notice that difference as I used it.

As I was cleaning my saw when I was done I noticed a small metal plate screwed on near the oiler (under the plastic cover but just over the oiler). I also noticed some metal housing and a few other items that seemed to be built a little better than my 290.

I think those are my major observations. If anyone has any questions about anything I wasn't clear about or that I may not have described I'll be happy to share my experience.

I've been pleased with all of my Stihl equipment but this is the first chance I've had to really compare two of their similar products.

If you are looking to purchase and can find a way to pay the difference, go with the 361. From what I learned in my research there wasn't much reason to go up from a 290 unless I was going to go all the way to the 361.

Just my two cents, Will

You mean you're gonna sit back and watch me work or you're gonna sit back and video tape me in hopes of winning on America's Funniest Home Videos?

OR, did I stir up a hornet's nest with the comparison?

One thing that I thought was pretty impressive from your post is that stihl went ahead and paid for the parts on a 3 year old saw.

What did you end up doing with the ms290? Did you just pay the labor for the dealer to install the parts and then traded it off on your ms361?

Hello all,
I found this site some time ago and have been lurking around and gathering info from you all. I finally decided to get involved to share my recent Stihl experience and share my comparison.

Just my two cents, Will

Here's your change back.... :laugh:

Welcome to the 361 club. :rock:

nice write up

good info. 361 is an ok saw. i wold not buy one because i tend to buy bigger power band saws. my next Stihl will be a Ms 660 w20" full skip chain:hmm3grin2orange: for firewood the 361 w 20" bar and full skip it is a great saw:rockn: for dayin dayout pro use the 361 aint worth an spitted owls butt. it is great homeowner farmsaw, just aint durable enough for everyday pro abuse.
pros need more power and durability also reliability is very important. just my beer monies worth:popcorn:

4will - I went the same route as you with my Stihls; 290, then 361. +1 on your comments. BE CAREFUL - the next saw that followed me home was a rear handle 200, perfect match for the 361 and completes the set. I'd love a bigger saw - but I just can't justify it. :blob2:

Always nice to get an opinion,some may want to argue ,just ignore them if they get huffy.:hmm3grin2orange:

I've only ran a 361 for just a few cuts but it seemed to have ample power etc.,nice saw.

All,
Thanks for the welcomes.

I'm happy to keep the brand war running strong.

bcorradi,
What happened was they offered me full retail price on parts (I pay the labor to install) or they would give me wholesale of the parts toward a new saw. I couldn't justify paying money in labor to put a saw back together that no one was sure what went wrong. Plus, I wanted an excuse to get a new saw :D .

I've still got a box of sad looking 290 parts. Not sure what to do with them, nothing is useful for my 361 so I'm not sure what I'll do with them. Make a lamp?

pbuechning,
I have my eye on the 192T as a companion to the 361. The 200 is just too much money for my use (I have to keep telling myself that, I'd love to have one). I would like to have a smaller saw also though.

superfire,
I see your point. I do think there's a huge difference in product comparision when you use one all day every day. My family has an old homelite that's blue that was my grandfather's. My mom and I got my dad a little Stihl last Christmas but he still pulls that Homelite out for big stuff. It's alive by luck and not much annual use.

I too have the desire for bigger saws but I think my wife would kill me if I got one. Not so much because of the money but because she likes our trees and I'd have to take them all down and cut them into boards to justify a saw much bigger than what I've got.

Ohh ok it sounds like you made the right decision. I'd probably be interested in your 290 if you wanted to part with it?

OR, did I stir up a hornet's nest with the comparison?

Thanks for sharing your opinion, I think threads like these where someone shares True Stories and Experiences are among the best you can get out of a site like this. :rock:

But, otoh, yes, you might have stirred some...

What we need now to balance the force, is for someone else to share how they somehow stopped using their 361, got a 290 (a 260 or a 390 might be more acurate, yes...) instead and says that they truly regret not getting it from the beginning since the higher wight (and maybe lesser durability) is a very reasonable "price" for the money they would have saved on the purchase...

Not saying it can't happen, just that we're still waiting... :yoyo:

Enjoy your new saw 4will, and a box of parts is never wrong, someday a p&c might show up and you'll have the oppotunity to rebuild the old one, and two saws is even less wrong...:D

Latest posts

Back