Ford F350 ATF leakage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
my 2001 F-350 spills tranny fluid on the asphalt when the weather gets real hot when I'm towing stuff. Anyone else with this model have the same problem?

How much is it leaking? And what is the fluid level at with it sitting in Nuetral? Which Engine does it have? Could be a bad pan gasket, but more likely a cooler line has developed a leak.

Find the drip trail and see where its coming from. It not uncommon for those things to spurt under heavy load and high rpm. Most times it ain't to bad but get it checked out and,if under warranty,documented.
I had some tranny fluid spurt out of the torque converter area on a f350. I was spinning the tires in reverse to make it back up the icy incline I was on. I had it looked at and it was actaully fine.

Backing up has always been a problem with these trannys. If you try, or do back up fast it will push fluid out. I remember reading an article about this and why it's does, in a powerstroke magazine along time ago. It said to back up slowly.

Backing up has always been a problem with these trannys. If you try, or do back up fast it will push fluid out. I remember reading an article about this and why it's does, in a powerstroke magazine along time ago. It said to back up slowly.

I think you got it right but I was not letting off cause I did not want to spend the night where I would of, had I not.
I was hammering a big deisel in reverse, which is a low gear and can build up some pressure. It is common for 'push out' through a vent on the auto trans.
I do not have any problems with my manual 4x4 350 in low range but I am glad I put those Eddie Bauer captains chairs with the arm rest in it. That bench was murder.

The late 2000 and early 2001 tranny's were very prone to failure. We had both of ours let go. They have a diode that fails and they start acting and shifting weird and then they are done. Brian's Truck Shop in arkansas is the place to go for a built trans. The warranty and service is top of the line and he is the man for this trans. What you are describing as far as puking trans fluid in reverse or when very hot is not a vent or overflow. It is the fluid heating up the front seal and then it pukes fluid out around the torque converter snout. Mine also did this for a good while, til i visited Brian. I now have a trans fluid temp guage, and it is amazing how quickly the fluid temp goes up when backing a trailer in reverse. The later 6.0 trans cooler is a great mod for that year truck also, it is huge and helps a great deal when towing.

Later,

if your ford aint leaking atf its prolly empty!!!:clap:

my 2001 F-350 spills tranny fluid on the asphalt when the weather gets real hot when I'm towing stuff. Anyone else with this model have the same problem?

If it only does it hot when towing stuff it is probably over heating, or over full.

Fluid should be checked at normal operating temp. After warm up, shift it through all the gears to fill all the clutches and pistons in the transmission, then check the fluid. It should be between the full and empty mark on the dip stick. If it is not over full, then check the transmission oil cooler and the radiator to be sure they are not restricted, also the fan if it is electric, and or the fan clutch if it is mechanical to be sure it is working properly. Be sure the fan shroud is in place and in good condition.

( I was a dealership mechanic for quite a few years )

That IS the truth! Oh well, stick to the big manual boxes for the heavy hauling if you don't want to expect to pay for a new automatic at some point.

Yeah thats what I used to think, The manuals are worse, by the time you replace the clutch and switch out the dual mass flywheels with a single mass becasue they came unglued at less then a 100,000k, you have about the same amount of money, I at least got to 204,000 on my last Powerstroke auto trans.

And to think, those old trannies, the T-400 and the C-6 lasted for years and years, some are still going strong. And the old manuals, even better. The new stuff is junk, think about it, its great when it works, but when it dies, you are up the creek without a paddle, and you are going to pay large.

And to think, those old trannies, the T-400 and the C-6 lasted for years and years, some are still going strong. And the old manuals, even better. The new stuff is junk, think about it, its great when it works, but when it dies, you are up the creek without a paddle, and you are going to pay large.

I agree, some of it is nice but what a pain in the arse when it acts up, it really sucks for the guy (like me) that holds on to a truck for 10 years. Though I can't say I have any love affair with the C6, I think I've tore a few of them up too.

Latest posts

Back