Forestry board votes for more logging of state timberlands

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Forestry board votes for more logging of state timberlands

Kitzhaber, others weigh in against latest effort which could lead to rewrite of management plan

The Associated Press and The Daily Astorian

Pressed by counties and the timber industry, the Oregon Board of Forestry has voted to increase logging in state forests in the Clatsop and Tillamook state forests.

The board voted 4-2 Wednesday in Salem to swing the focus of forest management toward more timber production - 70 percent of the 518,000 acres compared to the 50 percent now in force.

The vote came despite an opposition letter from former Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber, who cautioned that logging more of the state forests would compromise habitat, and under the threat of a bill in the state Legislature that would make timber production the primary purpose of the forests.

The changes are expected to take effect over the next two years and eventually produce 196 million board feet of timber annually, a 5 percent increase from current levels.

Board Chairman John Blackwell, who voted in favor of the changes, said time had shown that the current management plan does not work. The board's decision to change the plan Wednesday may be the first step in a total rewrite, which could begin in April 2010.

The forests were burned and heavily logged in the 1930s and taken over by the counties for taxes, then turned over to the state with a promise that two-thirds of the logging revenues would go back to local counties and schools.

In 2001 the Oregon Department of Forestry adopted a management plan designed to restore old growth characteristics to the forest and improve fish and wildlife habitat, while still turning out logs, but the timber output never measured up to expectations.

The forests cover important salmon streams and are a popular outdoor recreation area for Portland residents.

A staff report said the new plan would reduce the chances of maintaining fish habitat from high to moderate, but the chances of enhancing fish habitat would remain moderate.

Tillamook County Commissioner Tim Josi had hoped for a greater increase in timber production, but said it was a move in the right direction.

"It is important to us that these forests remain working forests," he said. "Right now the balance has shifted quite a ways away from timber production towards other values that impact the viability of our communities."

Josi said with log prices and homebuilding at rock bottom levels, the increased logging would not significantly increase revenues for counties and schools, or jobs in the industry, in the short term, but they looked forward to long-term improvements.

Clatsop County resident Carolyn Eady, who sits on the State Forest Advisory Committee, said the new plan could double the number of clearcuts in the Clatsop forest.

"I'm disappointed," she said. "I think they're just rushing ahead. There's a lot of pressure on this Board of Forestry."

Noah Greenwald of the Center for Biological Diversity said conservation groups were certain to sue, arguing the increase in logging would harm threatened coho salmon and northern spotted owls.

"Increasing the cut is not supported by science," he said.

While the board debated the issue in the Oregon Department of Forestry headquarters in Salem, conservationists and fishing guides rallied outside against the changes.

"Some of the best salmon runs in the lower 48 states come out of these streams," said Bob Van Dyk of the Wild Salmon center in a statement. "So those are good reasons for multiple use up there."

http://www.dailyastorian.com/Main.asp?SectionID=2&ArticleID=61499

Irrelevant for the time being

Saw log prices are low and going lower. Mills are closing because they can't sell their products. They have time to develop long term solutions, the market for raw and valued added material is not going to turn around over night. It is in no one's interest in the Timber industry to increase production right now. Unless of course you like working for free.

Saw log prices are low and going lower. Mills are closing because they can't sell their products. They have time to develop long term solutions, the market for raw and valued added material is not going to turn around over night. It is in no one's interest in the Timber industry to increase production right now. Unless of course you like working for free.

But for the future it is a good thing. The Tillamook forest is pretty much all man-made. It burned and reburned and was replanted for timber production.
Meanwhile, Portland grew, and grew and now considers it part of their playground.

Maybe Ol' Tre will fall out of a tree again?

Just found out our mill in Evergreen is permanently shutting down... 60 plus more families out of work, to add to the thousands already... 60 plus more people looking for work like me, making it even harder to find some.

:dizzy:

Sounds good?

It may be beneficial when the market improves, until then it's not of much immediate benefit. Hopefully by the time the price per thousand comes up the enviros haven't ran it in the ground with lawsuits, and court preceedings. I know alot of times if a sale doesen't get processed quickly it can be railroaded in a hurry.

good thinking lets cut more wood that we cant sell:monkey: tom trees

I don't know if this is just dumb luck or a sign of better times ahead, but the final bid for our last sale was up $50/MBF from the one before. We're still moving logs, even though come of our contracts are now two-year instead of one so the logger can wait out the poor sales. Also, we have a guy manufacturing crossarms from cants on the landing. Why not? If letting him do value adding on our property keeps him bidding on sales, don't we all win?

+1

The BLM and Feds upped the quota for Oregon timber production two years ago as well. Right at the end of the building boom. They can set a higher quota all they want now, but no one is going to buy more timber product in the near term. Mills are closing right and left. Export docks are also closing. No market for the stuff now.

Its just another round in the typical political farce in the timber indstry here.

Timber Production/Value

Here is some interesting reading for those at the periphery or not involved in the industry.
http://www.bber.umt.edu/content/?x=1079
I was struck by the graph depicting the volume of 2008 and 1945 as the same. In addition the value of the material is the same. Also interesting to see the housing bubble start to burst in mid 2006 with decreased demand and prices for timber.
It is frustrating to see agriculture get so much help with subsidies and price guarantees while the Timber Industry is subjected to legislation that only makes things more expensive. If I could get help with anything it would be reduced Workers Comp payments. Other than timber prices there is no single impediment to better wages than WC costs. While I was doing some pricing I saw that clerical workers at banks and offices require $.08 or less on the dollar while I was staring down $.65-.70 on the dollar. And I know their margins are better than ours.

Well, if you think there are greener pastures in farming, you are wrong there. The pressure from off-shore imports is intense. Labor in this state is insane, if you can hire anyone. Irrigation rights are impossible to get, even if you do happen to have a good well. The margins are all but non-existant. And the hours, well, farming requires more time than there is in a day. Flipping burgers pays better. Never mind benefits. There are none. Actually, at the last farming business class I went to at the OSU extention, they said that mowing lawns pays better than farming or ranching. We also had timber, and there was little money there either, even in the hay days. Or rather, there was a lot of money to loose if you did not manage your timber cuts well. And some money there if you did manage them well. Never mind the 6% tax off the top, and all the rest. I gave up on farming and managing timber myself. There is simply no money to be made off the land, other than the land itself. And real estate is in the tank now too, so of late you cannot even make money off the land itself. Oregon laws prevent anyone from any kind of land development outside the urban areas, so all you can do out there is grow trees, farm/ranch, or go bankrupt (or all three).

Back