Forests are more than a cash box

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The Daily Astorian

Recession exposes short-term thinking that’s dominated timber management
News that the Oregon Department of Forestry's budget is in the weeds for the next two to four years comes as no surprise. But it invites longer-term thinking about how we manage natural assets in the Pacific Northwest.

At the same time the chainsaws fall silent in the Clatsop State Forest, Weyerhaeuser and other private timberland owners are also all dressed up with no place to go. With the nation's housing market on life support following five years of runaway speculative building, some of America's best workers have been idled. For example, Weyerhaeuser announced this week that it is laying off 50 of its 157-person workforce in Raymond, Wash., and its mills there and in Warrenton have seen periodic shutdowns for months.

This crisis brightly illuminates the flaws in forest stewardship. Here and worldwide, for too long forests have been managed for short-term corporate profits and governmental revenues.

As financial regulators stood by or actively facilitated the monstrous housing bubble, forests were felled to provide the raw materials. Professional foresters are a big step up from the irresponsible financiers on Wall Street, but they still fell victim to some of the same thought patterns when it comes to asset management.

There is a troubling mismatch between the pace at which forests mature and the rate at which they are logged. Fifty-year harvest rotations dwindled to 40 and have been pegged at as little as 35 in recent years. That is demanding a lot from soils and watersheds.

Because of calls from local communities for revenues and employment, even in public forests there is constant pressure to step up harvests.

Timber towns are economically whipsawed, unable to count on consistency from one year to the next. They are treated little better than third-world colonies that ship their assets out for the enjoyment of the wealthy in faraway locales.

Eventually, equilibrium will return to the supply and demand for forest products. But because of continuing corporate consolidation, mechanization and other systemic factors, forest jobs and revenues may not regain even the already-depleted levels of two or three years ago.

It's vital that citizens and policymakers realize that a fundamental transformation is demanded in what we expect from forests and how we derive benefits from them.

The Department of Forestry is smart to begin aggressively applying for federal grants to help mitigate its 30 to 35 percent budget shortfall. About $5 million in stimulus funds may go toward land restoration projects and reducing the build-up of excess wood that can feed forest fires. Such projects will set the stage for healthier forests. A meaningful part of the carbon tax proceeds envisioned by the Obama administration deserves to be spent on habitat work in American forests.

We need a much longer and more deliberate planning horizon for the woods, one that places explicit financial value on their role in keeping carbon out of the atmosphere, purifying water and a host of other essential functions. Forests must no longer be managed solely to maximize financial returns in the current fiscal year for shareholders, whether those shareholders own corporate stock or serve on county commissions.

Half of this #### is either hard to believe, or too depressing to read. I get all kinds of mixed info from the Oregonian and Astorian on what is what. It's called the market collapsed, plain and simple.

That's a depressing article for sure but rings true in several areas. I've always believed that it was all about balance and trying too maintain that. I'm not sure we've put back what we've taken out in equal measure and it's catching up to us. I for one would be happy too work a stimulus project that involved re-planting or managing for healthier tracts. I can tell you the fishing industry around here and else where is in the same predicament. :cheers:

Last edited:
The state and feds are exposed here. Many private outfits have a WAY better outlook on sustainability and production. Much of our forests are going to grapewood at about 130 years of age around here. Should have been logged thirty years ago with the crap they were logging 5 years ago left alone.

i think we've replanted plenty of trees, it's not 1947 anymore. i think most logging companies have learned from the "overcutting" - if that's a term - sure you can overcut, but wasn't most of the logging driven by market demand?

baby boomers anyone?

like burvol said, it's the market collapse, nothing more.

cut the crap, thin the dead, and farm the rest.

As long as Fed policy is dictated by idiots you will have idiotic policy.

What a lot of people fail to realize is that a large portion of the early timber industry was subsidized by the government. So all these timber towns that are drying up were basically established in large part due to federal timber. When the Feds decided they wanted to stop cutting to satisfy the leftist agenda, they started making those lost timber revenue payments to counties in western states, which are only a tiny fraction of revenues federal timber once brought in.

i think we've replanted plenty of trees, it's not 1947 anymore. i think most logging companies have learned from the "overcutting" - if that's a term - sure you can overcut, but wasn't most of the logging driven by market demand?

baby boomers anyone?

like burvol said, it's the market collapse, nothing more.

cut the crap, thin the dead, and farm the rest.

We've planted more trees than we'll ever log, thanks in large part now due to "Democratic" policies.

sounds like a pretty liberal article to me.

remember all the hype about save the family farm, and the farm aid concerts? what about the family sawmill, the family logging company? nobody gives a darn about them. the government subsidizes farms, and has for a long time. paying farmers NOT to plant. why doesnt willie nelson organize a benefit concert for the timber industry? imagine the uproar if the government payed us NOT to cut timber.

What a lot of people fail to realize is that a large portion of the early timber industry was subsidized by the government. So all these timber towns that are drying up were basically established in large part due to federal timber. When the Feds decided they wanted to stop cutting to satisfy the leftist agenda, they started making those lost timber revenue payments to counties in western states, which are only a tiny fraction of revenues federal timber once brought in.

We've planted more trees than we'll ever log, thanks in large part now due to "Democratic" policies.

Exactly! The timber around here was logged assuming a rotation including the state and federal land. Then the public land was pretty much deemed off limits plus all the timber lost to RMZs, spotted owl circles and marbeled murrelet habitat and someone expects a stable harvest to fuel the local economy. Incredible!

As for the present problems yea we got a depression going on here. Is that really a news flash to the local paper? Pretty hard for the timber companies to keep people working when there's no market for there products. I know around Astoria WEYCO has many acres of blowdown they would love to clean up but they are losing money doing it because the market is glutted with logs and no demand for finished product. I guess that's mismanagement and poor forest stewardship.

Back