Burning Down The Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmurph

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
My brother and I own and manage the family farm in SE GA. We are gradually restoring it to the forestation it had when our Grandfather moved to the area from the Sandhill region of NC in 1914. At that time the land was covered with Longleaf Pine and Live Oak. As the timber industry became commercialized the Longleaf was replaced with the faster growing Slash and Loblolly Pine. Along with the change in the preferred pine, there was wide spread damage to the sandhills of SE GA. They were inhabited with Bobwhite Quail, Eastern Diamondback Rattlers, Indigo snakes, and Gopher Tortise. Much of their habitat has been dozed away since the 60's. We grew up at our Dad's boots shooting quail. Now you can't find a quail. About 20yrs ago we endeavored to begin to restore some of what has been lost. In addition to gradually removing the Slash Pine that our Dad planted, not understanding the long-term implications, and replanting with Longleaf. We also do lots of selective removal of competitive species which tend to hop up quickly and crowd out the slower-to-establish Longleaf. We've spent the last 8yrs removing lots of oak to make room for the Longleaf.
Long before man came into the picture, fire was a major force in maintaining the balance of hardwood/pine, keeping the understory open, and promoting native grasses that were once wide spread. Since the local forestry department speeds to the sight of any fire larger than a match stick, we do a good bit of burning to achieve our goals. Here are a few pics of a burn we did this past weekend on a small section of the farm.
The weather was pretty good, the winds were fairly consistent, but we had some times when the heading wind would stop and the fire would stall. We also had some rain earlier in the week and some of the understory was still a little damp until mid-afternoon. We kept waiting for a perfect day to burn, but the optimal time to burn is coming to a close and we needed to get some fire laid on the ground.

Before- this area is mostly Sagebrush and Wax Myrtle. We clear-cut it several years ago and have left it unplanted. The deer love to bed in it and the quail like it as well.

b57acc330d6ae647dc067ea50e708a9d.jpg

90133b77f36d0c1919a8fc383d1c7d14.jpg

Setting the back-fire on the east side of the area-
8cd82bd1ef08bec27760a9235ce78eec.jpg

Burning around a deer stand-
0ecf77c4b76aaa9cd99354112e7cc0ba.jpg

The firebreak on the west side-
20ab1d66bedb703d9ad4b05cdd22393d.jpg

My brother and my son lighting the road adjacent to the west side firebreak. This fire burns to the firebreak and forms a wide buffer. This ridge always provides a certain pucker factor as we have to be very careful to control the burn bc this land abuts the long-time neighbor's land.
df172d49b22e780aa6efa64168dae653.jpg

435dda50912f21ddd45d4d61365ad1c3.jpg

My son and his sidekick with the drip torches-
30cbc53d1ceb46d053097370eb3f24cc.jpg

Lighting a lightning-killed pine-

ba0cdb3c91d91b28c89d7651573c0faa.jpg

The wind is pushing this fire up the hill-
31f040c34434838513467651033c3b60.jpg

My son and his best bud (both 11yo) in a stand we call "The Condo". We built it for our Dad about 15yrs ago. My son's friend (on left) killed his first deer ever from it this past year.
d601b96a452b007db79a5c2374de4a27.jpg

That's all I have. I'll try to get some after shots in the next few days.

BTW, we have covey's of native quail, something rarely seen in the area anymore. We also have loads of deer; a 174" was taken next door the farm a couple of years ago, and turkeys everywhere. We also have plenty of turkey, Indigo Snakes, and yes, huge Eastern Diamondback Rattlers, which we let crawl.

Diamond backs, copperheads, cottonmouths, and yotes would be on the endangered species list if that was my place.
Great pics and thanks for sharing.

Nice to see folks burning and planting longleaf. I manage a large property in SWGA and we burn about 3000 ac a year. Something you may already know, but if your goal is hardwood control, a burn in the growing season is excellent. Hardwoods are easier to kill if actively growing. Course it's easier to screw up when it 80+ degrees to. Mind if I ask why you chose to clear cut and not replant?

No Copperheads around here. We have some 'yotes and a few hogs, but they are dispatched with prejudice as they are discovered.

I've walked directly over/by 3 rattlers, one 5ft'r, one 4ft'r, and a 2ft'r, in the last decade and not one ever bothered to rattle. My brother walked past a 3 footer last year. The smaller they are, the more they tend to get defensive. They want to go undetected if possible and I just keep a sharp eye out. Two years ago I felled a huge Water Oak just bf dark. We came back the next morning to cut it up and there was a huge (5+ft) laying in the fallen canopy. It got away bf I could dispatch it. We carefully cut the large limbs off and dragged them out of the area with the tractor. We never did see that snake any more, but we did find a huge shed skin a few feet away. That was one of the few rattlers I was willing to kill. Three years ago I accidentally killed one by running over it with my S-10. I hit her with both wheels at the same time!!

Nice to see folks burning and planting longleaf. I manage a large property in SWGA and we burn about 3000 ac a year. Something you may already know, but if your goal is hardwood control, a burn in the growing season is excellent. Hardwoods are easier to kill if actively growing. Course it's easier to screw up when it 80+ degrees to. Mind if I ask why you chose to clear cut and not replant?

Yes, we do some early season burns as well, but yes, the weather must be perfect or you risk tree damage.

We leave the area unplanted to provide habitat diversity (and to hunt over!!!). It makes a great spot to hunt during the rut.

Good stuff, Neal!

We don't have the broad expanses of LL pine as is found in SWGA and the Tally area. I love going through that area and dreaming. This part of the farm is about 300ac.

No Copperheads around here. We have some 'yotes and a few hogs, but they are dispatched with prejudice as they are discovered.

I've walked directly over/by 3 rattlers, one 5ft'r, one 4ft'r, and a 2ft'r, in the last decade and not one ever bothered to rattle. My brother walked past a 3 footer last year. The smaller they are, the more they tend to get defensive. They want to go undetected if possible and I just keep a sharp eye out. Two years ago I felled a huge Water Oak just bf dark. We came back the next morning to cut it up and there was a huge (5+ft) laying in the fallen canopy. It got away bf I could dispatch it. We carefully cut the large limbs off and dragged them out of the area with the tractor. We never did see that snake any more, but we did find a huge shed skin a few feet away. That was one of the few rattlers I was willing to kill. Three years ago I accidentally killed one by running over it with my S-10. I hit her with both wheels at the same time!!
Kill them all and I am shocked you live in a part of Ga. those does not have the copperheads, back home in the mountains of eastern Ky. we are plagued with them and the rattlers. I kill every single one I get a chance to and use to hunt them at night on the old surface mine roads every chance I got.
I was riding / hunting one night with a friend and we killed 27 copperheads and 1 rattler on that ride, we all had flood lights mounted on our atvs' just encase we drove past one so we would stop, flip the switch, light up the world, and get to killing. LOL

Nice work.
The wife and i have planted white oak, dogwood, cypress, red oak, and some longleaf pine over the last 20yrs at our farm west of Statesboro.

I grew up hunting wild quail. Still have a few coveys around. We have always had rattlesnakes around, the old folks called the farm rattlesnake hill due to the large snakes found there.

Good to see someone taking the land back to what it was when it gave us a living and great wildlife/food.

Nice work.
The wife and i have planted white oak, dogwood, cypress, red oak, and some longleaf pine over the last 20yrs at our farm west of Statesboro.

I grew up hunting wild quail. Still have a few coveys around. We have always had rattlesnakes around, the old folks called the farm rattlesnake hill due to the large snakes found there.

Good to see someone taking the land back to what it was when it gave us a living and great wildlife/food.

South of 16? Register was named for some of great-grand parents. I lived in the 'Boro from '83-97.

I am about 6 miles out of statesboro off of Pulaski road.
I go thru Register to Cypress lake then left over to Joe Hodges road.
Blitch and Brannen land beyond me.

Tell Jerome I said hello Neal.

Good to see what you guys are doing there. I'd love to come down and see the place sometime. :)

Knew a Blitch girl well. Half the county was Brannen, the other half was Deal!!!
I shoot dove with a Deal over by the airport.
I am related to the Ellis family, Ellis Meat market.
You were in the Boro back when it was smaller, just starting to grow with the college.
I miss breakfast at Webbs Nic Nac grill before going fishing/quail hunting.

Yep, it was just a small college town. Summer enrollment was about 900. Now they are over 21K in the fall, and are an upcoming D1 power.

Literally lived next door to The Flame and Animal House was across the street a couple hundred yards!!

Back