Forgive me Andreas, for I have sinned.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I can no longer bust the chops of folks who own saws lacking sufficient amount of white...but let's back up and tell the whole tale:

Couple weeks back I meet my best friend for dinner after work.

"Yeah, you're gonna need to give me chainsaw lessons..."

He's driving one day, sees a saw on the side of the road. Picks it up, files a report with the local PD were he found it, no one ever filed a lost property report.

After the October Nor'Easter he decides to clean up some downed limbs at his Mom's house...and immediately realizes it's a *LOT* more powerful then he's ever used (which would be a few minutes with my 024AV). In fact, it scares him enough he's actually believing the warning stickers to the effect of not for casual users and only for persons experienced with controlling kickback. Neighbors are coming up, "Hey could you..." "NO! I don't know what I'm doing and I think I'm going to cut my leg off!"

Can't remember the model number, and I couldn't run to his house that night to see it. Then he goes, "And it has these things on either side of the bar that look like this:" and he holds out his hands and spreads his fingers wide.

"Those are dogs, and I suspect I'm going to have to seize that saw for your own protection."

Stopped to see it today.

A Husqvarna 372XP followed me home. Or, as I said, in good conscious for his own safety I can't let him have that saw.

He's only used a chainsaw a few times, and only needs one for very occasional cleanup the suburban yard and the odd piece of long firewood he needs to trim up (he burns a couple cords of wood a year, but gets it delivered cut but not split).

Told him it was worth $400-500 in the shape it's in (needs a new air filter cover, should be able to repair the chain brake which popped loose without new parts, and I haven't gone over it well yet to see if anything else got bent). Starts easily, runs strong.

I'll be cleaning up my 024AV this week. Needs new fuel and oil caps, and I'll throw in a new low-kickback chain, quart of bar oil, and a scrench. Which will meet his needs perfectly, and he'll probably take a decade to use up the quart of bar oil. Plus I'll give him an Introduction to Chainsaws lesson. Fair trade, eh? :msp_tongue:

You sound like a good friend....NOT..The only way you can redeem yourself is give it to me.:greenchainsaw:

Cleaned up and delivered the 024AV this morning...hmmm, gotta go change my signature. (And look for a new-to-me 024/026/260 on Craigslist this spring :) )

Bought a new low-kickback chain, bar cover, gas and oil caps, and quart of oil.

She cleaned up pretty well for maybe spending 30 minutes on it. Used some PB Blaster on a paper towel and toothbrush to clean off the grime. Read that penetrating oil does a good job, so I figured that's what PB Blaster is.

PB190909_small.jpg

PB190911_small.jpg

Be mindful of PB Blast and plastic. It can pit/gouge the hell out of it. It's a little more than penetrating oil (it works like sorcery though!)

I use Fast Orange to clean up my saws..

good score!

I got beat up pretty bad by a healthy 372XP once :msp_mad: Them things cut pretty darn well, and handle nicely :rock:

That was then.

I sincerely believe that my 441 would keep up with one, and my 460 could beat it.

Me not being a big fan of husky's outboard clutch/brake system. Other than that they are darn nice saws!

Couple months from now you will be saying Andreas who.

Go at once to the foot of Mount Dolmar and say 7900 hell yeahs. Otherwise risk being a "pretty dang good" saw owner the rest of your life.

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously, send much training with that 024, make him your wood cuttin partner if at all possible. You can teach all ya want, learning by doing is the best way, and doing right while supervised will save a lot of trouble when working alone.

Swapping a Wild Thing for a 372XP would be a real sin!

Make sure your friend knows he can call you to help if he gets over his head. If he knows he has an option, he's more likely to avoid trying too much.

Doesn't the 024 smell like Moose piss now? PB is great stuff, but it's aromatic...:bad_smelly:

Cleaned up and delivered the 024AV this morning...hmmm, gotta go change my signature. (And look for a new-to-me 024/026/260 on Craigslist this spring :) )

Bought a new low-kickback chain, bar cover, gas and oil caps, and quart of oil.

She cleaned up pretty well for maybe spending 30 minutes on it. Used some PB Blaster on a paper towel and toothbrush to clean off the grime. Read that penetrating oil does a good job, so I figured that's what PB Blaster is.

PB190909_small.jpg

PB190911_small.jpg

Yeah, but the Stihl still has those "things on the side of the bar!" :hmm3grin2orange:

Cut up about a quarter cord today, which included noodling some pieces > 20" diameter, and taking down the white oak stump they came from (I usually cut at a comfortable height when felling and work the stumps down to ground level later).

The power was REALLY noticeable over my 360 :msp_w00t::msp_w00t::msp_w00t::msp_w00t:

No pictures yet, I'm just getting over a really bad cold / mild flu or something. By the time I finished cutting the wood my body was telling me that was all for the day :( I was feeling much better, but just plain no stamina yet for hard work.

Latest posts

Back