Four stroke chainsaw at Lowes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ummm…. You “punched” an inanimate object to the point to where you injured yourself, and now you’re going to shoot it with a gun? Umm. I feel like that perhaps someone with your lack of impulse control perhaps shouldn’t own firearms… ?

Try drop starting a saw and have it kick back on you, then you'll know what I mean by punched the saw.

You can replicate this by using a 10lb bowling ball on a bungee cord for a yo-yo.

I'm still trying to figure out the logic in creating a mini 4-stroke hand-held equipment. The 2-stroke is superior in EVERY way! Lighter, cheaper, simpler, more power per pound, more power per CC of displacement, etc., etc.

Back when I was fixing this stuff, I had MANY 4-strokes come in from 4-mixes to 4-stroke rototillers, every single one with valve problems because nobody realizes you have to check valve clearances every so often. The ones that weren't 4-mix had BLACK, tar oil, lol. They can't handle lack of maintenance!

What's even worse is they trick consumers into buying these. Stihl is great for that. You have to DIG to find out it's a 4-stroke. If you don't ask, the dealer won't tell! My buddy bought a string trimmer and swore up and down it was a 2-stroke, until I showed him the valve cover. "But I have to premix the gas!" ....

Bought it as a novelty, but can see the appeal. I liked the idea of not needing premix, I was trying to use it as a truck saw because it could use the same fuel as the truck if needed. Four stroke can have better emissions than two stroke, and running propane would have been possible for even lower emissions. When it ran right, it had great torque. In a homeowner saw, the power to weight ratio isn't a big deal. It was quieter than a two stroke. There's potential, but not at this quality level.

Senix missed the bus to the homeowner level O P E game, though. For a homeowner saw, battery electric absolutely curb stomps this thing.

Alrighty, putting a nail in this one, done with this flaming pile of poo. I've wasted more time working on these four stroke abortions than working with them.

Think the timing on this one slipped, it's coughing back through the carburetor and won't run now. It kicked back so hard it ripped the pull cord out of my hands and broke the handle(albeit cheap plastic) when it hit the starter cover. It's kicked back so many times and made me punch the saw so many times that my arm aches all the way up to my elbow, and I had blood dripping off my fingers at one point.

My 034 is going to take a turn as my truck saw, unless Echo goes on sale for Black Friday.

This thing is going in the garbage, maybe after a trip to the shooting range for use as a target.

View attachment 1128998

There is someone over on FHC forum looking for one of these to play with. Maybe he would pay the postage for you to ship it to him?

I have no experience with 4 strokes, I'd be curious to take apart and see what the issue is. Flywheel key, valve or piston ring? Maybe try a snow blower starter handle with the big loop.
We should find the issue and then grenade it.

Last ditch effort to satisfied EPA Regulators. It seems like everyone is surprised by the fact the Chinese see an opportunity to squeeze some more money out of us with gimmicks and substandard crap. Get you some of those cheesy ass bamboo chinese finger cuffs, they made millions off those also.

Looks like this 46cc four stroke is ~1.8hp, weighs 13lbs, cost $179 when I bought it.

Echo CS310 is a 31cc two stroke, also 1.8hp, weighs 8.8lbs, costs $219 right now. Probably what will be replacing this as a truck saw.

Just for comparison, my 500i weighs 13.9lbs and makes 6.7hp. Less than a pound more weight, almost 4x the hp. Cost 10x as much as the four stroke monstrosity, though.

How do they overcome the issue of oil starvation hen running on its side?
In the brush cutter/string trimmer and pole saw format they seem to hold up fine, At least Honda and Stihl respectively, I do wonder if the horizontal cuts of a rear handle chainsaw might be somewhat more problematic. Stihl has animated videos and I have had a Honda 35cc apart and can see how it works. The reason I had to tamper with it is a valve keeper came loose on initial start up, I got it back but it kept running worse as time went by and I finally got another valve that was when Efco had a honda powered product. I have two honda bike handle 35cc devices trouble is non adjustable carbs, the last one even with a replacement carb never was quite right, run about15% choke sometimes.

How hot the muffler gets for sharpening or changing out the chain right after use could be a consideration,

In the brush cutter/string trimmer and pole saw format they seem to hold up fine, At least Honda and Stihl respectively, I do wonder if the horizontal cuts of a rear handle chainsaw might be somewhat more problematic. Stihl has animated videos and I have had a Honda 35cc apart and can see how it works. The reason I had to tamper with it is a valve keeper came loose on initial start up, I got it back but it kept running worse as time went by and I finally got another valve that was when Efco had a honda powered product. I have two honda bike handle 35cc devices trouble is non adjustable carbs, the last one even with a replacement carb never was quite right, run about15% choke sometimes.

How hot the muffler gets for sharpening or changing out the chain right after use could be a consideration,
4T saws sucks get over it !

Ad to pass these on to the next sucker is now up in the trading post.
I got both going, had to fiddle with the low speed to get them to idle. I'll see how they cut tomorrow. The one thing I've noticed with these saws including the one I already had is when the high speed is to lean they just fall on their faces like they ran out of fuel and it seems like the carburetor has to catch up.

Back