Four stroke chainsaw at Lowes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got both going, had to fiddle with the low speed to get them to idle. I'll see how they cut tomorrow. The one thing I've noticed with these saws including the one I already had is when the high speed is to lean they just fall on their faces like they ran out of fuel and it seems like the carburetor has to catch up.

I hope you are well prepared for any scenario and take along a faster cutting alternative?...

images - 2024-01-13T163136.922.jpeg

Looks like this 46cc four stroke is ~1.8hp, weighs 13lbs, cost $179 when I bought it.

Echo CS310 is a 31cc two stroke, also 1.8hp, weighs 8.8lbs, costs $219 right now. Probably what will be replacing this as a truck saw.

Just for comparison, my 500i weighs 13.9lbs and makes 6.7hp. Less than a pound more weight, almost 4x the hp. Cost 10x as much as the four stroke monstrosity, though.
Bingo. 2-cycle makes roughly twice the power as 4-cycle at equal displacement, all other things being equal.

It's not as cart blanc as that. Hp ratings arnt everything. Weight is the big downside in small hand operated equipment, and not needing low rpm torque.
Sure, torque and other things are also important. But high power/weight ratio is a hallmark of 2-cycle engines, and it is a major reason why they are used in small engines, especially for hand-held tools.

20240113_143821.jpg
This one had an exhaust valve that got slow to close and wouldn't fully seat which kept it from starting, put a splash of b12 on top and down the exhaust port to free it up. Started both up and made some cuts, had to keep cranking out the high until they quit stalling in the cut. I'll do a video tomorrow since it's going to be drier.

View attachment 1144084
This one had an exhaust valve that got slow to close and wouldn't fully seat which kept it from starting, put a splash of b12 on top and down the exhaust port to free it up. Started both up and made some cuts, had to keep cranking out the high until they quit stalling in the cut. I'll do a video tomorrow since it's going to be drier.
I don't mean to take pleasure in your misfortune, but I'm glad there was something actually wrong beyond me just giving up on them.

Interesting. It only ever ran on E0 premium with a double dose of Stabil.
I think it was just something that was stuck on the valve guide up higher and once it cooled it got tacky. I never ran it enough to get hot and burn anything off yesterday. The color says it might have been a little flake that came off the intake.

Latest posts

Back