Frankensplitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My father in law found this in a field somewhere and it was given to him.

splitter-1.jpg

The motor wouldn't turn over but a nieghbor had a junk riding mower we were able to get started. Problem was the motor on the splitter had a horizontal shaft and the replacement out of the mower had a vertical shaft. We built this cradle to mount the new motor. Aslo built a mount to retrofit the fuel tank from the mower.

splitter-3.jpg

Built a dash and used the keyswitch, throttle cable, choke cable, and light switch off the mower. Also mounted a light!

splitter-2.jpg

Everything used was recylcled from the mower and the steel was all drop from another project. She's ugly but it's hard to argue with free!

nice find!!

is it legal to tow with the gas tank like that?

Doubt it, it's held down with an old tie down. My father in law doesn't burn wood so it's only going to go back and forth to the neighbors anyway. We live at the end of a private road so ??? The battery is only held down by a bungee cord right now so that would be a larger concern for towing. An easy fix if it ever needed to be towed anywhere though.

Last edited:
I also noticed last night the carb leaks a little fuel when it sits so I'll prbably have to rebuild it and put an inline shut off valve on the fuel line.

Wow thats great,... I love recyceling ,. The next thing Id do is raise er up alittle, My back wood be #####in after about 20 30 minites worken at that height, but to each his own, It lookes like they went to exrta work to make it that low,.T,C, E,J,

Wow thats great,... I love recyceling ,. The next thing Id do is raise er up alittle, My back wood be #####in after about 20 30 minites worken at that height, but to each his own, It lookes like they went to exrta work to make it that low,.T,C, E,J,

I hadn't thought about that but I'd guess it's a trade off, don't have to lift the logs as high. The controls are at a comfortable height but the jack in the front only has about an inch and a half clearance when I hook it to the four wheeler, digs into the road in spots. Not a huge deal, the garden tractor pulls it fine.

I'm not as interested in it as my neighbor anyway, I like splitting with a maul. I brought it up last night to split some good sized dry maple rounds that were like smacking marble with a hammer. Now if somebody would invent a machine that could haul and stack firewood.....:monkey:

Robotics

I hadn't thought about that but I'd guess it's a trade off, don't have to lift the logs as high. The controls are at a comfortable height but the jack in the front only has about an inch and a half clearance when I hook it to the four wheeler, digs into the road in spots. Not a huge deal, the garden tractor pulls it fine.

I'm not as interested in it as my neighbor anyway, I like splitting with a maul. I brought it up last night to split some good sized dry maple rounds that were like smacking marble with a hammer. Now if somebody would invent a machine that could haul and stack firewood.....:monkey:

That could be done,..but, I think money better spent wood be, buying a skid steer, making a short elevator, and making a bunch of 4x4x4 pallate type racks, so after you split and load the racks, store them to cure, then move them to the burn site, with the skid steer, Ive been thinkin this over for years and havent come up with any better Ideas,.but wood like to hear of anybodys ideas, saving time and energy processing fuel wood,.. T,C, E,J,

I hadn't thought about that but I'd guess it's a trade off, don't have to lift the logs as high. :

Not a good trade. Even a slightly bent over position will kill after a while. I finally rolled mine up on some little ramps too get it right.

Cool rig though! I love the B&S 11 or 12hp verticle on there! I've got one sittin on the shelf myself from a lawn tractor that the mower deck died on. Leccie start too! Seems like they all leak a bit, mine did too. Same deal, a carb kit and a $1.99 inline shutoff supply side. :cheers: :greenchainsaw:

Pic loading

Not a good trade. Even a slightly bent over position will kill after a while. I finally rolled mine up on some little ramps too get it right.

Cool rig though! I love the B&S 11 or 12hp verticle on there! I've got one sittin on the shelf myself from a lawn tractor that the mower deck died on. Leccie start too! Seems like they all leak a bit, mine did too. Same deal, a carb kit and a $1.99 inline shutoff supply side. :cheers: :greenchainsaw:

As soon as I can get the pic posting thing down Ill post a few pics of a real cool, cheep, power supply option, One of a kind, I think,.. T,C, E,J,

Amen to that. Rather lift logs up than bend over. One of the prime reasons I wouldn't use a verticle splitter.

After 20 years I finally smartened up enough to get mine chopped apart and raised 9". It is in the shop now waiting to lengthen the hoses to reach. As soon as that is done I'll provide before/after pics.

Harry K

that thing is prettycool. looks like who ever built it started out with a dragster in mind, andhalf way said I think I need a splitter more

that thing is prettycool. looks like who ever built it started out with a dragster in mind, andhalf way said I think I need a splitter more
Lol, thats what I thought too when I saw the chrome rim, very cool freebie anyway, always nice to ressurect something that will actually do work!
:clap: :clap:

:cheers:

Serge

As soon as I can get the pic posting thing down Ill post a few pics of a real cool, cheep, power supply option, One of a kind, I think,.. T,C, E,J,

Cool, love to see any new ideas.

Ok the curiosity is killing me, what is the "T,C, E,J" at the end of your posts?

Cool, love to see any new ideas.

Ok the curiosity is killing me, what is the "T,C, E,J" at the end of your posts?

Take Care, E,J, Engineering I Type one finger at a time, and have to look for the keys on the board, soooo I dont type much,. LOLOL E,J,

Back