Franklin 170 ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ty111

Reaction score
Currently working on a Franklin 170 with a bad Detroit 453. Based on my searching these are hard to find. Is there a compatible engine or a junk yard that someone may be aware of. Mine is shot and best option is to replace or rebuild another one, just can’t locate something. Looking from the South Carolina, and willing to drive. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Model: 50437201

Currently working on a Franklin 170 with a bad Detroit 453. Based on my searching these are hard to find. Is there a compatible engine or a junk yard that someone may be aware of. Mine is shot and best option is to replace or rebuild another one, just can’t locate something. Looking from the South Carolina, and willing to drive. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Model: 50437201
4-53 detroits are everywhere, start looking at older rollers, tow behind air compressors, gensets, boat yards etc

That said, they should have a standard SAE type bellhousing, so just about any industrial diesel of the same overall size and HP can be configured to bolt up, Perkins, Cummins 4BT, Isuzu etc, Cat even has an inline 4 diesel that probably fit.

As for the Destroit if the block isn't damaged, its rebuildable, parts are widely available, though getting a little tougher to source since they are getting pretty old. however, new aftermarket parts are still being made for them. the 4-53 shares many of the same parts as all of the x-53 engines, 1-53,2-53,3-53,4-53,6-53,6v53,8v53? (the V stands for V type engine, the - for inline, I'm not 100% sure they made an 8v53, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did) The 6v53's are a very common boat engine, as well as skidders, and might even fit in yer franklin skidder, though its going to be wider then the 4-53 is, it should be about the same length, but have more ponies too.

I do know a guy that is busy swapping in a chev 350 into a IH skidder that had a running detroit in it... at least last time I saw it move it did... why he's putting a carbureted gas pot in place of a diesel, I'll never know, this is the same kid that has a chev 1 ton with a log dolly and bunks he hauls logs with regularly so?

Back