Hello and new to the site

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toast

Reaction score
Hey, new to the site.

A few questions as I have been away from my saws for a while and need to get back at it. If your willing to help out, great and I appreciate it.
- is there new tech out there in bars that would drive me to or aware from replaceable tip bars. I am buying 2 x spares for my saws. I have 372/2x346's/550 all XP's.
- what chains for these bars are recommended? I will be cutting up to 18" diameter ash trees.
- I need to rebuild a 346XP, 00-01 era. It needs a C/P kit. Is Meteor still a good outfit, or is there another way that has proven well for the 346 crowd? Should I go after this older unit with a modification that has demonstrated notable improvement, and keep one stock for better reliability?

I guess that is it for now. Thanks in advanced for the input. I ask as I can get lost in the all the info out there and would like it point blank from the more experienced.

Toast.

Hay new neighbor,

Oregon makes some really good chain now. A full comp version of the recommended one is the EXL. The full skip version is EXJ.

I runs full skip 3/8 chain on everything that i can. I like .063ga for the bigger saws (say over 70cc) and .050ga for 70cc or smaller.

for bars......Not much has changed. Replacement tips are the most popular. Id run what you have if they are still in good shape or tuned them up. Bars last a long time if taken car of and tuned from time to time.

Hope this helps. @chipper1 knows his stuff so see what he has to say.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Hey @Toast. Welcome to AS. There's a hooskie nut (case) not to far from you that might have some good info for you. @chipper1 Can ya help your neighbor out?
Watch it buddy:buttkick:.
Who's my neighbor:lol:.
Hope this helps. @chipper1 knows his stuff so see what he has to say.
Thanks man :cheers:.
Hey, new to the site.

A few questions as I have been away from my saws for a while and need to get back at it. If your willing to help out, great and I appreciate it.
- is there new tech out there in bars that would drive me to or aware from replaceable tip bars. I am buying 2 x spares for my saws. I have 372/2x346's/550 all XP's.
- what chains for these bars are recommended? I will be cutting up to 18" diameter ash trees.
- I need to rebuild a 346XP, 00-01 era. It needs a C/P kit. Is Meteor still a good outfit, or is there another way that has proven well for the 346 crowd? Should I go after this older unit with a modification that has demonstrated notable improvement, and keep one stock for better reliability?

I guess that is it for now. Thanks in advanced for the input. I ask as I can get lost in the all the info out there and would like it point blank from the more experienced.

Toast.
Nice little collection :rock:.
On my smaller saws for firewood duty I like to run the Oregon laminate bars, and on anything 60 or larger with a 24" I like the to run the reduce weight bars, Tsumara on the huskys mainly as they are a great value.
I'd buy an oem P&C kit for the 346, base gasket delete and a muffler mod does a nice job.

Why did that 346 go down? Bad bearing, air leak, bad gas, no oil, bad seal. I would vacuum check that case before complete tear down.
Trust, Trust made it go down. Loaned it to my neighbor with 2 gallons of pre-mixed. He ran out and ran pump gas in it to finish his job. Brought it back and said it wouldn't start. Ergo, the jug is bad. Scaring is too deep. Shame on me for trusting a neighbor.

Trust, Trust made it go down. Loaned it to my neighbor with 2 gallons of pre-mixed. He ran out and ran pump gas in it to finish his job. Brought it back and said it wouldn't start. Ergo, the jug is bad. Scaring is too deep. Shame on me for trusting a neighbor.

I think that is a lesson most of us are forced to learn somewhere along the line of saw ownership.
A good rule to follow now is that you will lend out your wife before you lend out a chainsaw. ;)

Welcome aboard- sounds like you have a neat collection of quality saws.

Latest posts

Back