Frazer Rototiller

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a picture of a Holder.. I can't remember where I found it, I think a member on another site has it
Holder.jpg

With all the engine knowledge here I have often thought there should be a place to discuss engines other than saws. Or am I the only one?

>should be a place to discuss engines other than saws.

I agree with you. I would like it. would be interesting. lots here are engine savy, if not all! and no doubt plenty of very interesting days of yesterday engines...

u could consider maybe to fire it up... easy to start a thread... here, I will volunteer to help. a title:

Engines Other Than Saws

I've been looking for a Holder for years... hard to find.. they are really cool!

How's this for an old tiller.. Ariens with a Ariens branded Wisconsin motor.. It wasn't a "you suck" deal, valves were seized, magneto was rusted, carb was gummed, but I had it running in a day.. replaced all the seals and gave it a coat of Allis Chalmers orange paint... It can sit all winter and it usually fires up on the first pull. Wet clutches, no belts, and a HEAVY duty chain drive.. No matter what you pay, you just can't get a tiller built like these old ones at any price.

View attachment 482756

interesting tiller! seized valves to running in a day! you are a talented engine overhauler, no doubt about it. nice foto. I assume to cover with name on it is the PTO side of trans... and a chain? then connect to and drives the rear rotor tiller tines? love the colors... and bar tread tires.

>should be a place to discuss engines other than saws.

I agree with you. I would like it. would be interesting. lots here are engine savy, if not all! and no doubt plenty of very interesting days of yesterday engines...

u could consider maybe to fire it up... easy to start a thread... here, I will volunteer to help. a title:

Engines Other Than Saws
Well I don't want to derail this fellas thread but starting a thread in the chainsaw forum may not be the place. I am not sure how to really go about it or if there would be any interest.

Well I don't want to derail this fellas thread but starting a thread in the chainsaw forum may not be the place. I am not sure how to really go about it or if there would be any interest.

start it there, put in Chain in title... engines other than chain saws... maybe add vintage to modern. one and two cylinders. and if not suitable for chainsaws, the Mod Squad will move it...

interesting tiller! seized valves to running in a day! you are a talented engine overhauler, no doubt about it. nice foto. I assume to cover with name on it is the PTO side of trans... and a chain? then connect to and drives the rear rotor tiller tines? love the colors... and bar tread tires.
That's pretty darned close to original color scheme.. Allis Orange and Ariens orange are pretty close (husky orange too :p)... the green was just a dark green rattle can. The gray on the engine is my custom mix... I had some white paint and some black paint, and I just mixed it until it looked like the shade of gray I thought was appropriate :)

We replaced those tires with new identical ones.. *darned* expensive at $75 each

Very nice restoration! Holders were a real workhorse for a small tractor...

We have a big cousin to the Holder.. a Ford County.. they aren't articulated, but kinda look the same.. VERY VERY heavy at about 7 tons (80 gallons of liquid in each tire and 100 lb wheel weights, nevermind everything else is cast iron), and you need about an acre to turn them around, but *nothing* short of a crawler or a tractor double the size will out pull them.. I can scrape wet cow manure uphill with a 9' blade and it won't spin. I might put a Cummins 6bt in it someday.

20140106_150006_sm.jpg

That's pretty darned close to original color scheme.. Allis Orange and Ariens orange are pretty close (husky orange too :p)... the green was just a dark green rattle can. The gray on the engine is my custom mix... I had some white paint and some black paint, and I just mixed it until it looked like the shade of gray I thought was appropriate :)

We replaced those tires with new identical ones.. *darned* expensive at $75 each

Very nice restoration! Holders were a real workhorse for a small tractor...

We have a big cousin to the Holder.. a Ford County.. they aren't articulated, but kinda look the same.. VERY VERY heavy at about 7 tons (80 gallons of liquid in each tire and 100 lb wheel weights, nevermind everything else is cast iron), and you need about an acre to turn them around, but *nothing* short of a crawler or a tractor double the size will out pull them.. I can scrape wet cow manure uphill with a 9' blade and it won't spin. I might put a Cummins 6bt in it someday.

View attachment 483174

interesting tractor, for sure! never seen one wheeled like that one. a whole new look for a tractor. how many hp is the engine? speeds? it sure looks as if it could easily tow a Sherman tank.... up hill! omg! :surprised3:

@Backyard Lumberjack County Tractors were around from the mid 60's into the 70's... This is one of the earliest models, a "Super Six", it had about 90 engine horsepower, so a little underpowered for the traction... Later models were numbered and the horsepower part of the model number,... can't remember if it was the first or last digits though. Transmission on the early ones like ours are 6 speed over 2 ranges, but a funky pattern... 1 and 2 in low range, 3 and 4 in high, back to low for 5th, and 6th in high again... Its not a bad idea, you can get yourself going with a load and still have decent top speed because of the high gear in that range is very high.. Later I think they were a 4 speed gearbox with 2 ranges.

They have a unique front drive system.. Rather than have a differential in front, which would raise the height of the tractor, they have 2 driveshafts coming from the rear differential, and a right-angle drive for the front wheels... when you engage diff-lock, everything is turning no matter what.. I've only got it stuck once in 20 years.

I've used it to tow a nice 24" dbh fir log about 50 feet long up and out of a bank... it did it with authority, In Scotland they were extensively used in the forest industry

@Backyard Lumberjack County Tractors were around from the mid 60's into the 70's... This is one of the earliest models, a "Super Six", it had about 90 engine horsepower, so a little underpowered for the traction... Later models were numbered and the horsepower part of the model number,... can't remember if it was the first or last digits though. Transmission on the early ones like ours are 6 speed over 2 ranges, but a funky pattern... 1 and 2 in low range, 3 and 4 in high, back to low for 5th, and 6th in high again... Its not a bad idea, you can get yourself going with a load and still have decent top speed because of the high gear in that range is very high.. Later I think they were a 4 speed gearbox with 2 ranges.

They have a unique front drive system.. Rather than have a differential in front, which would raise the height of the tractor, they have 2 driveshafts coming from the rear differential, and a right-angle drive for the front wheels... when you engage diff-lock, everything is turning no matter what.. I've only got it stuck once in 20 years.

I've used it to tow a nice 24" dbh fir log about 50 feet long up and out of a bank... it did it with authority, In Scotland they were extensively used in the forest industry

> This is one of the earliest models, a "Super Six", it had about 90 engine horsepower, so a little underpowered for the traction...

interesting tractor, that is for sure... well, imo! thanks for the info... hard to believe at 90 hp it is underpowered... but then I am assuming diesel, if uses gasoline as fuel... it mite be then, given the type of work it could be used for. but I would think in compound low, mite be slow... lol but should have gobs of torque....

Quite a Machine for sure. I dropped a red maple that was about 2' on the stump the other day. I had to make 3 trips to get it all to the wood pile . Bet with that ford I would have done it in one trip and been bored while doing it! Nice Tractor way to keep the old stuff going.

I think about 140 hp would be right for it... with a set of 3 shank subsoiling rippers I've stalled it out in first gear... gives you an idea of the traction it can get. It is diesel, it's a Lieman engine which was a popular marine powerplant

All our stuff is old.. newest is a IH 684 from about 1983... baler is 1965, Leyland 154 gasser and Massey 165 diesel from about 1974, Allis Chalmers HD6 from 1956, Allis Chalmers AllCrop 40 combine from the late 30's

The HD6 was in such good condition it deserved a new paint job
Img_5583sm.jpg

A fellow could always consider racing one of the two wheelers.
Even sitting on that little sulky can be a pretty short ride.
YeeeHaaa!!

Back