Freaking nails, spikes, screws and metal...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

Anybody try something like this?

I use their smaller version in my shop. I don't know how deep these detect to or how useful they would be with trees, but might be helpful if you know that you are working old hedgerow. Would be interested in any body's experience.

Thanks.

Philbert
The Lumber Wizard III is the latest version of Wizard Industries' flagship woodworking metal detector. A powerful precision hand-held metal detector designed specifically for woodworkers, It helps detect small metal objects hidden inside new or used lumber. The new version features easier one-handed use, with automatic calibration every time the unit is turned on, and better false-positive rejection. Undetected nails, screws or other metal fragments can damage expensive jointer, planer and saw blades. Flying metal can also cause serious injury. Easy to use, the Lumber Wizard III helps woodworkers prevent equipment damage and personal injury. The unit includes a vibration alert, allowing use of the Lumber Wizard III in noisy workshops. The Lumber Wizard has received rave reviews from woodworkers and magazines across the country, and the new version is even better!
http://wizdist.com/lumberwiz.cfm

The logging companies up here have a lot of trouble with people driving those 60d spikes into the base of trees at an angle at about the height of the harvester head. a few of those will really slow down your day

attachment.php

Anybody try something like this?

I use their smaller version in my shop. I don't know how deep these detect to or how useful they would be with trees, but might be helpful if you know that you are working old hedgerow. Would be interested in any body's experience.

Thanks.

Philbert http://wizdist.com/lumberwiz.cfm

The Lumberwizard III looks promising - if it has sensitivity to a depth of 3" - 4", it would've probably detected the stainless screw I hit, and at $99 is is a bit less pricey than their $1300+ logging-specific model, as well as more portable.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with environmental wakco/terrorists here, most of the metal debris in the trees comes from either thoughtless/inconsiderate people, or was the result of a rancher's attempt at impromptu fence repair where the tree made a convenient anchor or fence post alternative.

It would really piss me off to tear up a chain or otherwise damage a saw encountering a green-terrorist tree spike. There were a few of these nuts in Austin, but they ended up doing way more harm to the trees than the legitimate arborist work being done to maintain the oaks.

Good thing I have X-ray vision:greenchainsaw:

What I do is; Try to hit the metal. That way when I do, I feel good about it.:chainsaw:

Just kidding. My buddy has nice metal detector, for use on his mill, but sometimes it still won't pick it up. And they ain't much count on finding glass either.:mad:

In our cutting area we have run accross several trees with big lags, deep in the Jeffery Pines...about 40 - 45 feet UP the tree...What the heck!!!???

"Earth First" with gaffs? :confused:

But a Forest Ranger explained that there once was communication towers on the mountain, and they ran the telegraph and telephone wires on the trees instead of putting in poles.

So, lots of chains get roasted...and they don't help the razor-sharp splitter blade much either...:mad:

Why do they run 60d spike into the tree?

To try to stop them from clear cutting an area. They figure that if they can do enough damage to the equipment they will quit cutting. What ends up happening is they leave taller stumps and get less wood and then bulldoze the stumps out of the way instead of leaving low stumps that they can drive over, so they actually force the crews to do more damage to the area then simply cutting would

I was cuttin down a nice oak bout 40" in the butt along the field bout two years ago. Got to cutting and destroyed a chain, looked into the cut after the sparks flew, couldn't see anything, stupidly mounted a new chain and went back at it..........cahin number 2 done in like 2 seconds. Enough of this I figure, cut a new notch about a foot higher and fall the tree. No time to buck up the tree have to see what i was hitting, so cut up the stump and what do I find....a horseshoe, right in the heart of the tree. I'm still amazed thinking bout how long ago it was that somebody was out in that field and threw a show on the horse and hung it on a limb to pick up another day. The shoe was 5" from the bark of the tree and looked like it was hung on a limb for it was somewhat upright. Its been almost 70 years since that field last had a horse working it.............maybe my great grandfather? Was a ####ty yet fun find.

Lol, I was falling a fencerow tree and the twine was hidden under leaves around the stump. My fault for cutting my stumps so low!
John

LoL! Yea, looks like that crappy nylon twine! Unlike regular baler twine, that stuff won't rot. I hate when we run out of hay in the winter and have to buy some and it ends up having the nylon on it. We just leave the regular on but have to get all of that nylon crap off brcause cows can't eat it. Well there not supposed to anyways even though they try.

I hate that stuff. Not worth it to use if you ask me.Looks to be hard on saws too! :mad:

Back