Free firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwarren2165

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I put an ad on freecycle.com It is a yahoo group, I wrote wanted unwanted trees for firewood so far I have gotten about 4 full cords of firewood for free. Harder work had to drag brush curbside for city to pick up, good way to get it though. Had alot of trees I couldnt touch had to leave it to the proffesionals. Too many buoldings ect. The other day I scored on 3 apple trees that were around 25 years old. I use an outdoor furnace,but getting applewood I decided to run an ad for a old steel fridge. Now I Have my applewood stacked seperate for smoking my venision and hogs. I heard applewood is great for smoling. Anyone have any suggestions for using it.

I've used apple wood in my Weber grill before. Just threw it in on the side of the charcoal. Let it burn and smoke. Added a sweet flavor to the brats I was cooking.

Ive got over a face and ill be doing cool smoking I have my stumps split but someone told me twigs do the best for smoking

When we used it, we just went and cut a couple branches from the lower part of the tree. Used them green.

Apple - Sweet

Apple is my favorite cherry is a close second in the smoker.

Just smoked 16 lbs of pork butts and a 22 lbs of inside top round (Beef - steamship round) today 3:30am to 3:00pm with mostly apple some cherry thrown in for variety. The fruit woods leave a sweeter mellow smoke flavor.

I use lump charcoal to start. After that to use a phrase from a BBQ forum "I am a stick burner". Not much charcoal mostly wood. Today I used mostly unseasoned apple with seasoned cherry. Always avoid bark on the cherry. Throw a couple apples in the smoker to add moisture. Baste with apple juice from a spray bottle. Good stuffY

My friends could not believe my setup. Homemade smoker out of old heating oil drum (300 gallon) with stainless 6' bar and 1/4 HP Dayton gearmotor. Painted decorated and everything but the drum is stainless steel. Five feet away log splitter with piles of both apple and cherry (plus 5 split cords of mostly oak). 12" Berkel meat slicer on a 5' stainless steel prep table.

Catch the apple saw dust with a tarp or bucket when your cutting the wood. It is great to add to coals for added smoke. You can soak them if you like.

Enjoy that apple wood!!! :cheers:

Apple is my favorite cherry is a close second in the smoker.

Just smoked 16 lbs of pork butts and a 22 lbs of inside top round (Beef - steamship round) today 3:30am to 3:00pm with mostly apple some cherry thrown in for variety. The fruit woods leave a sweeter mellow smoke flavor.

I use lump charcoal to start. After that to use a phrase from a BBQ forum "I am a stick burner". Not much charcoal mostly wood. Today I used mostly unseasoned apple with seasoned cherry. Always avoid bark on the cherry. Throw a couple apples in the smoker to add moisture. Baste with apple juice from a spray bottle. Good stuffY

My friends could not believe my setup. Homemade smoker out of old heating oil drum (300 gallon) with stainless 6' bar and 1/4 HP Dayton gearmotor. Painted decorated and everything but the drum is stainless steel. Five feet away log splitter with piles of both apple and cherry (plus 5 split cords of mostly oak). 12" Berkel meat slicer on a 5' stainless steel prep table.

Catch the apple saw dust with a tarp or bucket when your cutting the wood. It is great to add to coals for added smoke. You can soak them if you like.

Enjoy that apple wood!!! :cheers:

Sounds like I will do what you are doing. My father is giving me a little wood burnerand I am making my smoker out of an old fridge. Which would be better a pit in the ground or a fire box. For a cool smoke how much pipe should I run to my smoker. My fridge is coming along. Like you I am going above and beyond building Will post pics when done.

When I came across these apple trees I couldnt see burning them in my furnace. Cant wait to try venision in it.

I was warrey of catching sawdust because of the oil. If I can I think I would rip some pieces that would work nice. I defintely will use the apples when I smoke.

Cold Smoker

I hot smoke (175-225 degrees).

Cold smoke research:

Cold Smoker Idea

Operation Cold Smoke

Hot Plate Conversion

THE SMOKE INJECTOR

jwarren now you did it. I will now have to build one of these contraptions and give cold smoking a try. I will start a new thread to document my efforts. The thread will be in the firewood section. It is a use for firewood or atleast a by product.

Idea: Smoked :spam: !:)

LOL Ill be taking pics of mine when its finished. Then Ill guess next you have to butcher a hog to put it to use.

I responded to an AD in the Craigslist by me that said "Free Firewood cut my back yard". Turns out they have a bunch of Ash & Maple trees they want cut out just opening up the back yard some. Take what ever I want and just pile the brush off to the side for them. Works for me I am going to start cutting this week some time. I got lucky they had a bunch of people respond to their AD I showed up first..... :cheers:

Last edited:
I responded to an AD in the Craigslist by me that said "Free Firewood cut my back yard". Turns out they have a bunch of Ash & Maple trees they want cut out just opening up the back yard some. Take what ever I want and just pile the brush off to the side for them. Works for me I am going to start cutting this week some time. I got lucky they had a bunch of people respond to their AD I showed up first..... :cheers:

Where at in upstate NY are you? You need some help cutting?

I live in Vienna NY next to Oneida lake. It would be in between Utica and Syracuse takes me about a holf hour to get to either one. Closer towns would be Oneida, Camden, Rome. I am all set with the the cutting but thanks for the offer the wood is in Brewerton just across the lake from me.

Apple wood is a great wood for turning on the lathe. Apple is used for musical instruments also. Remember the Recorders we all got in elementary school music class? They were all made of apple wood until someone got the idea of using plastic. So if you know some turners and have a few larger pieces they might be interested in turning some nice fruitwood.

heck I allready split it. Dont know of where I would get rid of it here anyway. How much would a turner pay for it?

I live in Vienna NY next to Oneida lake. It would be in between Utica and Syracuse takes me about a holf hour to get to either one. Closer towns would be Oneida, Camden, Rome. I am all set with the the cutting but thanks for the offer the wood is in Brewerton just across the lake from me.

Im always looking for a reason to fire up my saw.

Svanaha is halfway between Rochester and syracuse I like buying LOgs then I dont have to do any dragging But if it is free I will drag limbs

So your not that far away. I am new to the Outdoor wood boiler thing. My Central Classic 5036 is due in next month some time. Still preparing the site and getting ready to pour the pad. My family burned wood in a woodstove when I was growing up. I always loved cutting wood it is good honest work. What are you using for burning your wood.

My outdoor burner is a New Freedom Has a 36x30 box. Ive even cremated my deer remains In my Fathers burne. No close neighbors. I only burn wood in mine though. I dont burn trash.

Back