Free-hand milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdad07

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys, I still have not gotten a 28" bar for my dolmar 6400 yet, so I have not been able to start my mill yet. I have just been gathering materials as I can find them. I am, however, going to be getting 35 cord load of logs tomorrow morning that will be mostly cherry, red and sugar maple with a little smoothbark hickory thrown in. I happen to know that most of the logs will be in the 12" to 14" diameter range and arrow strait. I am chomping at the bit to make some boards, I have been since I started reading here in the milling forum. My question to you guys is are there any of you here that have done any free-hand milling, is it safe and do you have any pointers? Any help would be great.

Thanks, Jim

Sorry guys, I just used that handy search feature and found what I was looking for. Need to do that before I post from now on.

My question to you guys is are there any of you here that have done any free-hand milling, is it safe and do you have any pointers?
I did quite a bit of free hand milling and it eventually led to the CSM disease.

There was a guy who built a 2 story house out of free-hand milled lumber. He wrote it up in Mother Earth News and eventually published a book, though I can't remember the title. Something along the lines of "How to Build a House for $10,000." He even made his flooring and decking out of hand milled lumber and it looked pretty good. AND his leg was in a cast while he was milling the wood and erecting the house, including the roof. Tuff old dude.

Anyway, he inspired me to try free hand milling.

His technique was to prop the log off the ground, snap a chalkline, then mill away.

I found that the chalkline is quickly obliterated by sawdust, so I would start out by quickly following the chalkline with the nose of the bar, just cutting a groove 1/2" or so deep. The groove served as a marker for subsequent cuts.

Mr. Freehander would cut the board in one pass, similar to a mini-mill technique except all by hand.

I found that I got better results if I used multiple passes. 1st pass shallow groove, 2nd passes a few inches deep, 3rd pass a few inches deeper, and so on.

The freehand method worked OK for making rustic beams. For a more precise finish, I planed the slabs. I made the window frames in my house like that -- freehand mill 4" thick, then plane the exposed wide side, and then edge the exposed narrow side.

Of course, if I had to do it over again, I would use a chainsaw mill and skip the planing and edging.

I have tried freehand milling....not too pretty....

It tends to be kinda wavy and might taper on the far side....just my $.02

Hey guys, I still have not gotten a 28" bar for my dolmar 6400 yet, so I have not been able to start my mill yet. I have just been gathering materials as I can find them. I am, however, going to be getting 35 cord load of logs tomorrow morning that will be mostly cherry, red and sugar maple with a little smoothbark hickory thrown in. I happen to know that most of the logs will be in the 12" to 14" diameter range and arrow strait. I am chomping at the bit to make some boards, I have been since I started reading here in the milling forum. My question to you guys is are there any of you here that have done any free-hand milling, is it safe and do you have any pointers? Any help would be great.

Thanks, Jim

I hope you are pretty fit - it give you a really good workout. :dizzy:

Here's one of the articles I was referring to. It's worth reading for personal inspiration if nothing else. Dude builds 2-story house by milling lumber with handheld chainsaw

Besides having a broken leg, he was an old geezer, too ! ! !
williams.jpg

And look at his boards -- they are pretty decent. I could never do it nearly as well as he did.
williams16_6.jpg

williams16_1.jpg

Last edited:
I hope you are pretty fit - it give you a really good workout. :dizzy:

I am in decent shape at 27, I have to be to defend against the mother-in-law, she's tough. Pretty sure she wrestled steers and grizzly bears at some point in her life.

I love these kind of stories!!! That is amazing!! If you are interested check out #### Pronekke's story someone shined me onto him on a thread on here I asked for the DVD for christmas which I got he was no spring chicken when he moved to alaska and built his cabin with hand tools only shows him ripping boards with a handsaw to built his own shelves, tables ect. another awesome story!!! check it out Ok must have been automatically edited because of his first name so I guess I will say his first name is short for Richard HA HA HA Ha

Last edited:
check out #### Pronekke's story someone shined me onto him on a thread on here I asked for the DVD for christmas which I got he was no spring chicken when he moved to alaska and built his cabin with hand tools only shows him ripping boards with a handsaw to built his own shelves, tables ect. another awesome story!!!
D. Pronekke was an artist with an axe. :clap:

Seems like he was 56 when his adventure began.

One of the later DVD's shows D. when he was about 80, still frolicking in the bush with a packframe like there's nothing to it.

It really is something to see how people used to do things that we shun today because it is harder or takes more time. I love seeing and reading those stories myself.

D. Pronekke was an artist with an axe. :clap:

Seems like he was 56 when his adventure began.

One of the later DVD's shows D. when he was about 80, still frolicking in the bush with a packframe like there's nothing to it.

I agree, he must have been a heck of a man. His book is quite an interesting read.

I find the older I get the more I appreciate stories like this. I sometimes feel like thats the way man was suppose to exist and if everyone did it it would be a better world very easy to overlook the simple things in life and waste alot of time stressing about things that really don't matter or keeping up with the Jone's (which I personally care nothing about) These type of people that take the time and effort to do this kind of stuff are a rare/dying breed but all the more reason to respect and appreciate them!! I think we have alot of people like this right on this forum talented and capable types that know if I can't buy it they will make thats why I love this forum more than most stuff on the internet!!!:clap::clap:

Well said!

I find the older I get the more I appreciate stories like this. I sometimes feel like thats the way man was suppose to exist and if everyone did it it would be a better world very easy to overlook the simple things in life and waste alot of time stressing about things that really don't matter or keeping up with the Jone's (which I personally care nothing about) These type of people that take the time and effort to do this kind of stuff are a rare/dying breed but all the more reason to respect and appreciate them!! I think we have alot of people like this right on this forum talented and capable types that know if I can't buy it they will make thats why I love this forum more than most stuff on the internet!!!:clap::clap:

couldn't of said it better Irish Country

... These type of people that take the time and effort to do this kind of stuff are a rare/dying breed but all the more reason to respect and appreciate them!! I think we have alot of people like this right on this forum talented and capable types that know if I can't buy it they will make...

Agreed... if you're anywhere near an Amish community, that's pretty much how they still live their lives, extremely practical, making things instead of buying them. Myself I with I more time to do things the older, careful, take your time, often slower way, but I don't right now... so that's that. Example... in my woodshop I just don't have the time to spend hours with a large (expensive) hand plane getting a board to S4S (surfaced four sides), I run it through the jointer and planer instead, which takes maybe 5 minutes from rough right off the stickered pile.

Agreed... if you're anywhere near an Amish community, that's pretty much how they still live their lives, extremely practical, making things instead of buying them. Myself I with I more time to do things the older, careful, take your time, often slower way, but I don't right now... so that's that. Example... in my woodshop I just don't have the time to spend hours with a large (expensive) hand plane getting a board to S4S (surfaced four sides), I run it through the jointer and planer instead, which takes maybe 5 minutes from rough right off the stickered pile.

Yeah, but doing it by hand has another pay off, it sure cuts back on your shop heating bills :)

Yep I totally understand power tools for sure and appreciate them!!! I guess what I take away from guys like that is it "can" be done by hand and I admire that but good for us power tools exsit!! HA HA

Back