free saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old guy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Went out to cut down the top of my hedge with a poulan 2900 with 20" bar this afternoon and of course I touched one of the wires of the fence that lives in the hedge, so I was sitting in the door of my garage filing chain when a guy stops in the ally and gets out and tells me he sees me here occasionally working on saws.
It seems he has a stihl saw that does not run and he bought a new one and do I want the old one.
To make the story shorter I stepped out the back door a couple of hours later and there sat an MS360 in real good shape except the piston and cyl are scored at the exhaust port, I've never done a saw before but from all the pics I've seen on the forum this one should be easy, the cyl should clean up easy, a new piston and rings and then find out what toasted it.

John

Went out to cut down the top of my hedge with a poulan 2900 with 20" bar this afternoon and of course I touched on of the wires of the fence that lives in the hedge, so I was sitting in the door of my garage filing chain when a guy stops in the ally and gets out and tells me he sees me here occasionally working on saws.
It seems he has a stihl saw that does not run and he bought a new one and do I want the old one.
To make the story shorter I stepped out the back door a couple of hours later and there sat an MS360 in real good shape except the piston and cyl are scored at the exhaust port, I've never done a saw before but from all the pics I've on the forum this one should be easy, the cyl should clean up easy, a new piston and rings and then find out what toasted it.

John

If you need any help let me know. Sounds like a real good score.

Nice. The MS 360/036 is a personal favorite of mine..

Super easy to work on and also lots of parts available.

Congrats on the score..

Went out to cut down the top of my hedge with a poulan 2900 with 20" bar this afternoon and of course I touched one of the wires of the fence that lives in the hedge, so I was sitting in the door of my garage filing chain when a guy stops in the ally and gets out and tells me he sees me here occasionally working on saws.
To make the story shorter I stepped out the back door a couple of hours later and there sat an MS360 in real good shape except the piston and cyl are scored at the exhaust port, I've never done a saw before but from all the pics I've seen on the forum this one should be easy, the cyl should clean up easy, a new piston and rings and then find out what toasted it.

John
:blob2::chainsaw:

I love a free saw,even more when it a good one. Nice score! This deserves some suckage for sure!

I pulled this cyl off today and it only has a squish band on the intake side, it just tapers off to nothing about half way around, is this common? It's the original Stihl- Mahle cyl. and it's pretty clean except for the alum. at the exhaust side.

John

Well, either clean up the cylinder with acid or use the non acid method noted in other posts.

Don't worry yourself about the squish band, not likely an issue.
Oh, you suck!

Well I am concerned about the squish, before I pulled it apart I stuck solder in the spark plug hole and got .0275 squish at the pin axis where there is no squish band, so there will be less clearence on the intake side of the piston where there is a band, if I put a new piston in there that may or may not be exactly the same hieght as the old one there could be problems.
I was thinking of deleteing the base gasket but that miced at .018 so that ain't gonna happen.

John

You really suck.....but remember no saw is free. You will spend money on it, just enjoy it.

Hey Andy, I got a new piston in this saw, got good compresion and it fires right up, but I can't get the h jet open enough to slow this thing down, I could use yer help.
Can you give me a call at 612 978 1524 thanks

John

Does it still have a limiter tab on it?

Latest posts

Back