Freeze plugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toddppm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is there a secret to installing these da@#$ things so they don't leak? You are not supposed to use any sealer with these right?
One was leaking on my chipper and I went and got a new one only to tap it in too far, so got 2 more just in case. Tapped in just right but still manages to weep a little. Was tempted to leave it but I know it will blow out at the least opportune time.
One of my guys suggested spraying some copper sealer on one, is it a bad thing to do this for any reason?

Googles great, learned more about freeze plugs than I will ever need I hope:

FYI, if you didn't know(I had no idea anyway)

yes some people use gasket or copper sealer

freeze plugs are not meant to pop out if the block freezes to keep it from cracking, they just fill the holes where they drain the sand from the casting process.

They can be had in steel (stock) flat? or concave
brass which should last forever
or a rubber plug can be had that expands by tightening a bolt in the center and seals it up, this one is supposed to be temporary and may loosen up but sounds like a lot of people use them with mostly no probelm so I'll get one of these.

Also found that if one goes the others are surely soon to follow, hopefully not until I get a new chipper:D

There you go Todd, if you have a minor leak you could always dump a can of no leak in. I would check the condition of the rad if it's original since it takes a fair bit of corrosion to ruin a core plug. Hoses ok? Now’s the time to replace them too and avoid downtime.

Radiators been replaced 2 or 3 times, ok there:D vibrated the neck right off it!
The back of the plug was corroded in a couple places and had a pin hole leak. Better than the alternative, that I thought was a head gasket leak.

Back