Friction hitches. Which one to use for different situations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah full body harnesses are ok but not ideal for tree climbing. I have used a Petzl full body harness in the trees before and i found it restricted my arms a bit too much but it was ok. I do see some guys using them though. Why do you need 9 harnesses? And 25 lanyards? o_O

Yeah full body harnesses are ok but not ideal for tree climbing. I have used a Petzl full body harness in the trees before and i found it restricted my arms a bit too much but it was ok. I do see some guys using them though. Why do you need 9 harnesses? And 25 lanyards? o_O
I don't know my cousin had to get rid of some stuff so he gave it to me

And there's another thing I'm getting. Look up the trango cinch

Ok. It is a rock climbing designed and inspired belay device. Who is belaying you in a tree? It might be ok as a lanyard adjuster (i think i have seen them used for this), but there are many devices that are more suited to tree work specifically. Also i think the cinch limits you to a 7/16" (11mm) max rope diameter. I prefer my gear to be able to be used on any rope size from 10.5mm - 12.7mm. Saves hassles in the future if you buy another rope. Prussik cords don't care what diameter my lines are and are cheap.

A $10 figure 8 works just fine for descending. No need to go all out for fancy stuff. Just reliable gear that is safe and foolproof to use. Especially when you are just starting out. If you still want to spend money on a rock gym belay device go for it. Just my opinion.

I actuly found something better for rappelling that's better and cheaper. It's called the mammut smart belay device. It is auto locking but it's cheaper than a figure 8
Zig Zag by Petzl is the best belaying, ascending, and descending device i have ever used for srt climbing or drt climbing. I keep hearing "well this is cheaper than that". why go cheap? you are putting your life and safety on the line. get what works and whats safe. There are so many options and configurations. Try going to a Climbing workshop where you can try diffrent devices and configurations to see what really works!

Zig Zag by Petzl is the best belaying, ascending, and descending device i have ever used for srt climbing or drt climbing. I keep hearing "well this is cheaper than that". why go cheap? you are putting your life and safety on the line. get what works and whats safe.

Then why are you putting your life on something that has been recalled twice due to poor engineering and build quality?

Zig Zag by Petzl is the best belaying, ascending, and descending device i have ever used for srt climbing or drt climbing. I keep hearing "well this is cheaper than that". why go cheap? you are putting your life and safety on the line. get what works and whats safe. There are so many options and configurations. Try going to a Climbing workshop where you can try diffrent devices and configurations to see what really works!

He is only 14 lets not forget! He has extremely limited tree climbing training. I would not go and jump if i was offered a zig zag for free even for many reasons. I am a little concerned in its durability and reliability, no matter how recalled and improved it is said to be. ;) Also i found it to be very very sensitive in releasing. Hair trigger sensitive. Might have been a bad combo of the zig zag and the climbing line it was demoed on, but regardless it is not what i would recommend to someone 14 with so little hands on experience.

did not know that he was 14 years old. in this case i would suggest some climbing training. try different configuration. since the Zig Zag was recalled the design is solid. and you have to work with it to understand that the sensitive release can be avoided. but at the age he is this is to advanced.

I actuly found something better for rappelling that's better and cheaper. It's called the mammut smart belay device. It is auto locking but it's cheaper than a figure 8
I don't think any device can be made for less than a fig 8. You can pay a lot of money for some brands of eights and you can find close outs and used items cheep at times.

did not know that he was 14 years old. in this case i would suggest some climbing training. try different configuration. since the Zig Zag was recalled the design is solid. and you have to work with it to understand that the sensitive release can be avoided. but at the age he is this is to advanced.
I think by "advanced" you mean prone to miss use and unreliable.

easy there Arkansas boy! over hear in california we climb large and tall trees on a regular basis so reliable is is everything. of course miss use = unreliable! we are talking about a 14 year old here so he has a long way to go to understanding what will work for him the best.

Zig Zag by Petzl is the best belaying, ascending, and descending device i have ever used for srt climbing or drt climbing.
Really? Last I checked the Zig Zag was to be used for DRT only?
A Hitch climber pulley with a VT works for me. Like the idea that you can add it midline.... Not possible with the zig..
But the Unicender looks promising. Midline attachable also.

I also use the Hitch Climber system. This is an awesome set up for DRT. Yes the Zig Zag is not a midline device but i have experienced the prusik not grabbing or binding to tight. It is super smooth with the Zig Zag. And when I am done i feed the rope back into the rope bag with the Zig Zag where its at on the rope. On the next use when i set my rope i never have to feed up or down more than 10 feet or Zig Zag is right there ready to go. Preference! O yea! the Zag goes up more smooth than a Hitch climber system when foot locking!

Latest posts

Back