Frost and tree roots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy Billy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I guess I never really thought about the effect if any of frost on tree roots. And if I did I thought the snow on the ground would keep the frost out and protect the roots. I took this picture on 3/1/2010. Obliviously there was not enough snow on the ground to keep the frost out of the ground in Michigan's Eastern UP.

Thats a 20oz pop bottle hung from the tree roots above the loader bucket. I had pushed the brush and snow off the top earlier in the day. And cut the trees down as they were froze into the ground and my JD 450 dozer could not push them over. Thats how much frost was in the ground! The roots are maple, white birch, balsam and spruce. I also thought it was neat how deep the fine roots went. When you push a tree over or dig it out you can never tell. But as I dug under them the gravel fell out with out damaging them much.

IMG_1112.JPG

No real questions. I just thought I would share this picture with a different perspective of roots.

Billy

Back