Frozen Bar Sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fugazi42

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys-

Before I take a trip up to my dealer, I want to see if there's anything I can do to fix this..

I was cutting in some awful conditions Monday with my 361- rain, mud, etc.. I was about half way done with the pile of logs I was working on when the saw bogged down and wouldn't spin.. I took the chain off and found that the sprocket at the bar tip was just about frozen. I can force it to spin if I really put some force into it, but there's no way the chain will move.. This is a Stihl Rollomatic-E the one that came with the saw. Is this bar toast or is there anyway to fix a stuck sprocket?

Thanks,

Josh

Hi guys-

Before I take a trip up to my dealer, I want to see if there's anything I can do to fix this..

I was cutting in some awful conditions Monday with my 361- rain, mud, etc.. I was about half way done with the pile of logs I was working on when the saw bogged down and wouldn't spin.. I took the chain off and found that the sprocket at the bar tip was just about frozen. I can force it to spin if I really put some force into it, but there's no way the chain will move.. This is a Stihl Rollomatic-E the one that came with the saw. Is this bar toast or is there anyway to fix a stuck sprocket?

Thanks,

Josh

Did you try some grease on the tip or soaking it in WD or blowing it out with compressed air? If it still turns, I would think you have a chance.

i had the same problem with one of my bars this winter. it was -30c outside and i was cutting a fallen birch tree. the saw bogged down and the chain wouldn't spin, i thought the break was stuck but when i brought it inside and had a look at it i noticed that it was the bar sprocket that was seized up. i htink it just pulled in to much dust and ice and froze up. all i did was knock it loose with a hammer and greased the heck out of it. after greasing and turning it finally returned to its normal state. i have since been using it and its still going strong.

If it is an ES bar with replaceable tip pretty cheap to have the tip swapped out

He said it's an E bar which does not have a change out tip as far as I know?

All you can do is what they others have suggested and try to free it up (with some PB Blaster maybe) clean it up then grease it. Good Luck.:cheers:

Thanks everyone.

I soaked it in WD-40 for a while and the sprocket is moving somewhat.. There is a point where it sticks every revolution. I'll soak it some more and see if I can blow out any junk.

The Stihl bar I have doesn't have a grease hole like my Husky bar does. Is there some way to grease a Stihl bar?

Thanks again,

Josh

Thanks everyone.

I soaked it in WD-40 for a while and the sprocket is moving somewhat.. There is a point where it sticks every revolution. I'll soak it some more and see if I can blow out any junk.

The Stihl bar I have doesn't have a grease hole like my Husky bar does. Is there some way to grease a Stihl bar?

Thanks again,

Josh

You shouldn't need to grease it. Just drizzle a little oil into the tip to lubricate it till the oiler takes over.

Past yr., I've had my Stihl ES bar's sprocket freeze twice. Each time, after fooling with everything I could fool with, it turned out to be a small chunk of wood chip jammed in there. It can take a little patience to work it out. Though by patience I mean about five minutes. It almost never happens; must be the perfect condition for it I suppose.

Past yr., I've had my Stihl ES bar's sprocket freeze twice. Each time, after fooling with everything I could fool with, it turned out to be a small chunk of wood chip jammed in there. It can take a little patience to work it out. Though by patience I mean about five minutes. It almost never happens; must be the perfect condition for it I suppose.

That's why I recommend blipping the throttle a couple of times between cuts to clear both sprockets in either wet conditions or when making long cuts. Of course, if you blip it more than twice, you're playing with it. :)

i had the same problem with one of my bars this winter. it was -30c outside and i was cutting a fallen birch tree. the saw bogged down and the chain wouldn't spin, i thought the break was stuck but when i brought it inside and had a look at it i noticed that it was the bar sprocket that was seized up. i htink it just pulled in to much dust and ice and froze up. all i did was knock it loose with a hammer and greased the heck out of it. after greasing and turning it finally returned to its normal state. i have since been using it and its still going strong.

Not too easy with a German Stihl bar - they don't have grease holes at the tip.

Just force the sprocket around till it loosens up - some WD40 may help........

I've had a chain lockup multiple times. I've always throttled the saw and pushed the chain on a log. Sometimes it takes several attempts, but has always come loose.

Yes, but I guess that sooner or later "allways" will come to an end........

Last edited:
Back